PDA

View Full Version : Does AC racing still make questionable goods?

JimmyHoffa
01-13-2008, 09:16 PM
A long while ago, back in my 300ex days, I bought two things from AC. A bumper, and nerfs. Both were horrible. The nerfs were welded up so poorly that I called AC to give them the part number and make sure they were for my bike. They were, so 2 crowbars later and a big hammer, and on they went. The bumper needed to have the mounts bent out to get it to meet up to the two mounting rails on the frame. it was more than 1/2" off.

I guess they don't even have a jig or a quad in house. Unfortunately, I like how their stuff looks, and other people would die for what they produce.

Am I unlucky? Do they deserve another shot? If not, what's the strongest? DG, Pro Armor, PRM, or Tusk?

rollie
01-13-2008, 09:27 PM
RATH:cool:

i ran AC stuff on my 300ex, it looks good once its on but its a PAIN to get on, not to metion there PC straight up SUCKS!

i have a rath bumper and nerfs on my 450 and they look awesome and fit right on, a little bending the heelguard but nothing major, and the Powdercoat on the rath products holds up perfectly aswell

Rath is a little more expensive and worth every penny

chipworkz
01-13-2008, 09:36 PM
I can't comment on the AC stuff but for the second part, I have all Pro Armor stuff on my KFX and my wifes TRX 400. Everything fit great, I have no need to buy any other brand at this point.

JimmyHoffa
01-13-2008, 09:50 PM
Have you asked much of your Pro Armor stuff? The initial quality was good, but I had some interesting issues with a really crappy skid plate. They must use an inferior breed of metal for the slam plates. My .250 swinger skid bent like no other, and I didn't even ask it to do much for me.

chipworkz
01-13-2008, 10:10 PM
Not really,,, I try to avoid hitting things and have only tagged a couple of rocks but so far no bends or dents.

To soft and it bends, to hard and it cracks.
I am not sure what what grade aluminum they use, 6061, 7061...
It would be nice if the manufactures included that info.

440challenger
01-14-2008, 05:56 AM
ive installed quite a bit of ac' products and most need the 4ft pry bar . Some went on smooth.
I like there designs a lot.

Pro armor is a great product but they have some fugly looking bumpers and nerfs imo.

Moose just came out with a nice set of pro peg nerfs im going to try on my girls' 400. UM is probably a bit worse then AC and i agree RATH is one of the best.

mymastifftucker
01-14-2008, 12:19 PM
I run the AC propeg nerfs on mine and have used a couple different bumpers. They all fit fne and have held up pretty good. I run full pro-armor skids (A-arms, chassis and swingarm) and they have held up remarkably well. Cant complain a bit. JMHO!!

300ex_#387
01-14-2008, 06:31 PM
After installing many AC parts on all of my quads i've come to realize there are some "special" tools you need to install them:

Block of wood
Sledge Hammer
Ratchet Strap
Rubber Mallet
Thread Tap
New bolts to replace the ones you cross threaded
And a mind set that you know these are not going to be easy

Thats really all you need to know about installing AC products. Don't let that steer you away though. I still run there products, but im always prepared!

JimmyHoffa
01-14-2008, 06:59 PM
I think I just peed a little. That was pretty good. I actually remember using half of those on my EX. I especially enjoy the ratchet strap suggestion. I guess I'm going to go for it. Once you get them on, they're pretty durable, I suppose?

CMALONE070
01-14-2008, 07:47 PM
I had AC and had all of the same problems you've had. I currently have Rath and love it it fits perfect and looks great that would be my choice if I had to do it again.

http://www.rathracing.com/store/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=37

http://www.cernicsracing.com/trx450rathpage.html