PDA

View Full Version : clutch basket

One_Bad_400
01-13-2008, 09:06 PM
so i'm replacing the clutch basket on my bike because its grooved.. and i got down to taking the main basket out and when i go to pull it out it hits the side case!!! why in the WORLD would honda build that little "quick access" side case to change the clutch if it wasnt a mm wider to be able to pull the hole basket out... i swear its like a humans hair width off...

btw.. for you people that have delt with grooved baskets... is it possible to smooth the grooves out or just better to buy new one?

hawk-trx
01-13-2008, 11:25 PM
i forgot that you had to remove the side case to get the basket out too. then i couldnt find the gasket to put it back togeather so i had to order one.

anyway i have been told that you can file the grooves down. but i think it wouldwear alot faster and might weaken it. so i just replaced mine.

do you have another basket already?

440challenger
01-14-2008, 05:51 AM
The quick change cover is just for doing clutches...you rarely have to replace the basket, and taking the side cover off is only another ten minutes...

Depending on how bad the groves are some times you can file them a bit. But i wouldnt do it much. filing creates more of a gap between the fingers and clutch basket so the have a tendacy to SLAP the basket and break plates, and actually goove the clutch disc's. Makes it even worse.

bloodmoney23
01-14-2008, 08:46 AM
regardless your best bet is just to buy a whole new basket.....either do stock or hinson. bikebandit.com has all the gaskets just go to OEM parts.

400exrider707
01-14-2008, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by bloodmoney23
regardless your best bet is just to buy a whole new basket.....either do stock or hinson. bikebandit.com has all the gaskets just go to OEM parts.

Agreed, I'd do Hinson if it really came down to it.

You can take the grooves out of it with a file if you're careful, but you're effectively making more sloop between the fingers on the basket and it will wear out even quicker and you risk it blowing apart. Just get a new one. OEM are OK, but a Hinson or something similar is the hot ticket. I especially like the baskets with stainless inserts on the baskets, because they never wear out. Not sure if Hinson has this or not, but I believe barnett does. Hinson is still top notch though.

One_Bad_400
01-14-2008, 09:50 PM
I"M SO PISSED OFF!!! when i pulled the case off it ripped the gasket... so now i have to go order one... and i was going to go a step ahead and put the clutch assy. all back together and when i put the plates back in................ONLY 6/7 are going back in, like theres not enough room for the last one?... whats going on?

hendershot106
01-17-2008, 12:09 PM
pulll them all back out and take out the shudder spring (the mini width fiber plate) and the small inner steel plate and replace them with ONE fiber plate and then start with your steel plate,then fiber just like normal......... and replace your basket with a hinson......... i tried filing them before to make it a weekend...... it dont work worth a dammmmmm...... the hinson basket with the stock shudder spring replaced with a stock fiber .... and the 20 dollar heavy duty springs from sparks is my setup..... my favorite setup...........

if your clutches will not go in..... im assuming it has to be because u have the stock inner and outer pieces of the shutter spring mis aligned..... or mayber your stock clutches were just wore out that much.

GIXXER1KR
01-17-2008, 12:24 PM
Look around for a billet Vortex clutch basket.Many guys around find them for a great price.I scored a brand new one for $80 shipped.Excellent quality and it is t-6061 forged aircraft aluminum.I also will be adding a stock fiber and removing the judder springs.My engine builder recommends to put in 3 CR500 springs.Cant beat that for price for a bullet proof set up for $100...

400exrider707
01-17-2008, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by One_Bad_400
I"M SO PISSED OFF!!! when i pulled the case off it ripped the gasket... so now i have to go order one... and i was going to go a step ahead and put the clutch assy. all back together and when i put the plates back in................ONLY 6/7 are going back in, like theres not enough room for the last one?... whats going on?

I wouldn't re-use the gasket anyways. It is not surprising one bit that it ripped. It did it's job and sealed well. Your judder spring is messing this up...