PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Problem

razca
11-13-2002, 04:36 PM
Hey all you electrical wizards,

I seem to have a problem. I tried to install my kill switch today. I spliced into the black wire w/ yellow stripe on the positive side of the coil. When I went to try and start it, I think I heard a little 'pop,' but not real sure. I didn't see any smoke or anything, but now the quad won't start. It will the plug seems to fire every so often, but nothing to keep it running. I'm not sure if I blew something somewhere, and I'm not really sure how to go about diagnosing. I am going to try and go back through the electronics tommorrow, but I was hoping somebody might have a specific idea of something I might have done wrong.

Thanks for your help,
Chris

AtvMxRider
11-13-2002, 04:40 PM
Sounds like you blew a fuse. Make sure you don't have any bare wires touching metal.

razca
11-13-2002, 04:54 PM
That's kinda what I was thinking. There is a bullet connector right near the coil that I thought may have a fuse but there is still no resistance in the line, so I figured that that one was still alright. Where else might I look for a fuse?

Thanks again.

Chris:(

phatswinn
11-13-2002, 05:04 PM
its in a little case bye the airbox coming from the battery

razca
11-14-2002, 09:59 AM
The fuse is all right and the coil is still alright. Yet it still won't start and now my battery is dead. What do you guys look at when you have starting problems? I'm just not really sure where to look next.

Thanks again,
Chris:confused:

jerry-89-250R
11-14-2002, 10:17 AM
what type of atv 300 400? did you run the battery down trying too start it? unhook your splices and try too start it? i have seen a few kill switches that were bad "brand new ones", u can check your's with a ohm meter if you have one

danney f
11-14-2002, 04:38 PM
This may sound silly and I don't mean to make you sound stupid, but is the teather conected to the kill switch. The reason I ask is because my kids climb on my quad all the time and I have spent 5-10 minutes trying to start mine, when the kids had pulled the teather loose. Just a thought.

razca
11-14-2002, 08:49 PM
Thanks for your help guys, I got it fixed but the kill switch doesn't work. I tested the unit and it seems to be kosher. There is a high resistance when the "plug" is in, and no resistance when it is out. However, the quad still runs when I pull the plug. I have one end grounded to the shock mount. This is the end that comes out of the fat side of the switch, while the thin side is spliced into the black/ yellow striped wire. The wires are about the same length, and I haven't been able to find a reference other than short and long wires. I would presume that it wouldn't necessarily matter would it? All that is happening is the coil is shorted to the chassis. Am I missing something here? If someone could check which wire is considered the long wire that might help, or if someone notices something. Thanks for the time.

Chris :confused:

2002 400ex

jerry-89-250R
11-14-2002, 09:21 PM
take the ground wire off your shock mount and splice it into the green wire, the same one that your stock kill switch used, sounds like your not grounding