PDA

View Full Version : 416 problems

400exBRAAP
01-13-2008, 03:43 PM
ok, i just finished putting my 416 together with an 11:1 piston and stage one hot cam. i got it all together and tried to start it, but the battery was dead, so i put it on the charger for a few, then she fired right up, then i took it out to drive for a little big and it had no power to it. it would barely pull the front end up, and it was just gutless. it also would not rev out for crap

so i thought the carb may be plugged, so i took that all off and cleaned it up nice and good. then once i put it all back together, i tried to start it, and it wouldnt even start! whenever i would pump the throttle while turning it over, the engine would quick turning over, like the battery was going dead.

can someone please give some insight on what to do to get this running?

04TRX400EX
01-13-2008, 04:08 PM
Did you check valve clearances and make adjustments as necessay after installing the cam? That's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head.

hornetgod13
01-13-2008, 04:37 PM
Did you follow the cam break in procedures. Did you also adjust the valves again once it cooled? Did you rejet for the larger piston?

400exBRAAP
01-13-2008, 04:56 PM
ya, i check the valves and everything, they were all ok. and yes i put a 40 pilot jet in, and when i had it running the first time, there was a 160 main jet in, then i put it down to a 158 main jet, thats when it wouldnt start at all. any ideas?

jesseweaver
01-13-2008, 05:37 PM
im not sure if this would be your problem, but if you're not, you should be running a higher octane gas with the 11:1 compression and the cam

TRXRacer1
01-13-2008, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by jesseweaver
im not sure if this would be your problem, but if you're not, you should be running a higher octane gas with the 11:1 compression and the cam At 11:1 he'd still have power it just might start pinging with lower octane.

How confident are you of your cam timing 400exBRAAP?

jaspurx
01-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Are you positive you have the cam in time? even just 1 tooth can cause the initial problem you had. Next , it could be a jetting broblem , and if the battery is weak enough it will not have enough energy to spark strong enough , but it will still turn over. Electrical trouble can be a real hassle , and can seem like it is not the problem.
( for instance)
Add the cam out of time and weak battery together........and it could be what you described for the two problems.

And like was said earlier , you changed the cam , what about the valves.

I had problems like these , mine was a dead battery..... had to roll start it , but only sometimes , was inconsistent in nature. then it was out of time due to a stretched timing chain.......so stretched that it was grinding the oil pump! the oil pump is like a chain guide on the bottom timing sprocket. It fits so close the chain can not come off without removing the oil pump. It can`t jump time on the bottom. If the chain is stretched , it will be like half a tooth out of time and will run crappy.

400exBRAAP
01-13-2008, 06:52 PM
i aint none to confident in my timing abilities. idk if its the battery or what it is, but im just gonna be taking it to a local guy and have him work on it, cuz i dont got the time or the "know how" to fix the timing issue. its wicked complicated, and he is good wit hthese engines, so i will just have him work on it.

TRXRacer1
01-13-2008, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by 400exBRAAP
i aint none to confident in my timing abilities. idk if its the battery or what it is, but im just gonna be taking it to a local guy and have him work on it, cuz i dont got the time or the "know how" to fix the timing issue. its wicked complicated, and he is good wit hthese engines, so i will just have him work on it. Checking the timing isn't too hard if your willing to take the vavle cover off again. We'll step you through it.

casey_lamm
01-13-2008, 07:19 PM
While reading the whole post my inital thought was dead/bad battery + a timing issue...

but im new to this bike...but hopefully its something simple.

Originally posted by TRXRacer1
Checking the timing isn't too hard if your willing to take the vavle cover off again. We'll step you through it.