PDA

View Full Version : HELP rear axle

Macadoo355
01-13-2008, 11:00 AM
The berrings in my 400 blew out so I need to get the axel out. The nut next to the brake disk will not come off. Is there any tricks? I tried heat and the longest breaker bar I had and nothing worked. I thought it might be reverse thread but that dident seem to work either. You guys have any idea? Also, is there a trick to get the bolt out that holds the swing arm in? Thanks guys,Ryan

hornetgod13
01-13-2008, 12:27 PM
They are left handed threads. Looking at the rear of the quad spin the nut nearest the brake rotor up and forward to loosen it and than the outer nut needs turns aft and down and spun in until you can remove the lock ring. Soak it with some WD40 or some other lubricant. Best of luck to you. Let us know how it goes. I'm sure you're not the first to experience this problem.

Macadoo355
01-13-2008, 12:38 PM
So the thin nut turns away from the quad and the big one turns to the quad to get the lock ring out?

hornetgod13
01-13-2008, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Macadoo355
So the thin nut turns away from the quad and the big one turns to the quad to get the lock ring out?

You got that backwards! Loosen the thin one first towards the quad and the large nut away.

400ftm
01-13-2008, 07:21 PM
both nuts spin the same way. the thin one is just a lock nut. they are left handed like you said.

Macadoo355
01-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Hmm thanks guys, still no luck, took the swingarm off and the front roller berrings are shot to so im going to have to bring it to a shop.:ermm:

400ftm
01-14-2008, 03:18 PM
i just reread your post, you said the nut next to the rotor. is against the rotor or the other nut? it is supposed to be against the other nut. if its on the rotor just loosen up the outer nut. i know you said you were taking it to a shop but if you get it you can save a buck or 2

honda400exr
01-14-2008, 03:37 PM
hey man take the nut and turn it in towards the swingarm I think there's a C-Clip that goes around the outer edge that holds it still.... take that off then you can unthread it the hole way and just remember to put it back on when you put everything together so everything doesn't come loose

bansheemorphine
01-14-2008, 03:55 PM
Both nuts spin clockwise, both in towards the swingarm, the thin nut has to be turned in first to unlock the two and the large nut turns the same way. Try using some hydralic fluid it is a great penitrating oil i find with mine spray alittle of that on and it comes right off.