PDA

View Full Version : Coat your cases!!!????

ChadEXer
11-13-2002, 03:38 PM
I was talking to the guys at www.hpcoatings.com about having the cases done in their ceramic\polished "HiperCoat"! They said they will do both side cases for about $175! Has anyone ever done this or heard of anyone doing this??? I have sent my header and midpipe to them and having their polished\ceramic coating put on my pipe inside and out,,,,,they said they can coat the side cases in the same stuff!! So it would look just like its polished and you would never have to repolish or touchup like you do polished aluminum!! He said its very resistant to scratches even more than powdercoat(and that stuff is tough) he said he has a lot of ATV owners doing their entire frames in this stufff(can be done in many colors) What do you guys think???

Extremeracer167
11-13-2002, 03:48 PM
I think id it costs 175 just to do cases, i wouldnt want to see the bill for the whole frame!:huh

ChadEXer
11-13-2002, 03:51 PM
Thats the same thing I was thinking! Plus they dont have near as many colors as powder coating!! No sparkles either I dont think!!!:) Its kind of high for just the cases but it would be a lot easier than the polishing mess!! I dont know what I want to do right now,,,I do have all the polishing supplies!!

BigThumper33
11-13-2002, 06:55 PM
Chad, polish the cases and then have 2 R's or somebody powercoat them with a clear coat style powder....

dhines
11-14-2002, 08:13 AM
Chad,

I'd be more concerned about heat transfer. I can't think that adding a coating to your engine would do anything but keep the heat in. Obviously Honda puts paint on it from the factory, but I'd be interested to find out just how much that particular treatment would affect the engine's ability to cool itself. It may not be an issue at all. Just wondering.

Best,

Dennis

Pappy
11-14-2002, 08:25 AM
powdercoat will hold no measureable heat in the motor.

CBW
11-14-2002, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by cdale127
powdercoat will hold no measureable heat in the motor.

correct,,,,,,,,,,,but ceramic coatings are made to do just that. Hold the heat when used on exhaust components,,,,and send it out the tail pipe and cut down on the radiated heat........

www.techlinecoatings.com

Pappy
11-14-2002, 09:08 AM
hey chris.....how durable is that ceramic coating.....when used on cases etc? i know its tuff as nails on pipes etc. do you think it would hold in enough heat to affect things?

CBW
11-14-2002, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by cdale127
hey chris.....how durable is that ceramic coating.....when used on cases etc? i know its tuff as nails on pipes etc. do you think it would hold in enough heat to affect things?

thats hard to say,,,,,,,,as far as durability its pretty strong if applied correctly......

even when i messed up on my headpipe i had to blast the stuff off with aluminum oxide,,,and gave up cause i was tired and the stuff was not coming off quickly.......so i cleaned it and coated right over it. And it is flexable enough to use on springs also.........

Pappy
11-14-2002, 09:13 AM
thx chris.....i tried it also.....never again:p well i cant say never....but it will take some serious practice for me to get it down:D