PDA

View Full Version : Red Antifreeze = corrosion?

Sjorge450R
01-13-2008, 08:54 AM
I read this somewhere on teh bored and i was just wondering about this. My dad works for a tractor-trailer company and all they use is Cat High-perf coolant and its dark red. So i figured i would use it in my R since i can get it for free and it works better than regular prestone.

My question is. I used this for a whole year and didnt have one problem, but maybe in the future it will start corroding it? Here it is in my coolant bottle. I loved the stuff. I could def tell a difference when i use it compared to regular.

07250ex
01-13-2008, 10:07 AM
the dick under the seat isn't gay or anything

Sjorge450R
01-13-2008, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by 07250ex
the dick under the seat isn't gay or anything

what????!?....lol :confused:

AtvMxRider
01-13-2008, 12:31 PM
You shouldn't use anykind of automotive antifreeze in a quad or bike. That Cat antifreeze isn't worth a chit to begin with so I wouldn't do it.

Sjorge450R
01-13-2008, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
You shouldn't use anykind of automotive antifreeze in a quad or bike. That Cat antifreeze isn't worth a chit to begin with so I wouldn't do it.

wahts so diffrent about automotive and non-performance antifreeze made for quads?

AtvMxRider
01-13-2008, 12:33 PM
Some of the additives in it. Thats what I have been told by a few bike shops

eastside 400
01-13-2008, 12:47 PM
ive used prestone antifreeze for the last 2-3 years with no problems, the honda coolant and that other stuff is just a way to make money, coolant shouldnt cost $9 per quart

AtvMxRider
01-13-2008, 12:52 PM
if you do use automotive anti-freeze don't mix it with regualr tap water you need to use distilled water

FHKracingZ
01-13-2008, 01:02 PM
engine ice for the win!

RideRed84
01-13-2008, 01:07 PM
The only corosive anti-freeze I know of is GM Dexcool which is orange not red. It takes a lot longer than a year to notice a problem. They usually corode the metal and clog small passages.

chipworkz
01-13-2008, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
wahts so diffrent about automotive and non-performance antifreeze made for quads?

Some of the additives in it. Thats what I have been told by a few bike shops

I have a bridge for sale... :D
They sale the SPECIAL stuff at the bike shop so they what you to believe you need to use it.

How is a quad engine different from an automotive engine?
They only thing you need to worry about is the same for either a car or a quad engine. That is to use the correct antifreeze for you application. If you have aluminum parts then you need to use an antifreeze that is safe for aluminum.

Also like already stated always use distilled water so you don't have minerals build up in your system.

Bradracer18
01-13-2008, 01:30 PM
We just bought a new peterbilt and went in to get some antifreeze for the C-15 cat engine. Our engine just has normal green antifreeze in it, but we thought we could use that red cat stuff. They said at the dealer, that you can't mix the two either, that for some reason it causes them to crystalize! So, pay attention to what you are doing. Also.....You should be using an antifreeze that is made specifically for aluminum radiators....which the cat stuff is obviously not.

dirtbike&quad
01-13-2008, 01:36 PM
he was referring to the dick looking thing right above the kicker

AtvMxRider
01-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Bradracer18
We just bought a new peterbilt and went in to get some antifreeze for the C-15 cat engine. Our engine just has normal green antifreeze in it, but we thought we could use that red cat stuff. They said at the dealer, that you can't mix the two either, that for some reason it causes them to crystalize! So, pay attention to what you are doing. Also.....You should be using an antifreeze that is made specifically for aluminum radiators....which the cat stuff is obviously not.

Your dealer was right you cannot mix the two or even add water to the red antifreeze.

Chino
01-13-2008, 01:43 PM
Your dealer was right you cannot mix the two or even add water to the red antifreeze.

I pee red :devil:

AtvMxRider
01-13-2008, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Chino
I pee red :devil:

Yeah and you also sqaut to pee:devil:

dpizz450
01-13-2008, 05:09 PM

haha lmao. i couldn't help but laugh at that.

pro-rider46
01-13-2008, 05:19 PM
dex cool is red (bad), mopar uses an orange (not the best), and good ol green, (aha, the best),

also engine ice is really good, (blue)

my88r
01-13-2008, 05:24 PM

LMAO:D

Chino
01-13-2008, 09:24 PM

you seen my string didnt ya buddy :D Love ya ol blacky Love ya ~

54warrior
01-14-2008, 06:25 AM
What about the Evans NPG+ waterless coolant? Last time I bought it it was $24/gallon.

Good Stuff!!

http://www.evanscooling.com/main27.htm

Flynbryan19
01-14-2008, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by 54warrior
What about the Evans NPG+ waterless coolant? Last time I bought it it was $24/gallon.

Good Stuff!!

http://www.evanscooling.com/main27.htm

It is good coolant, just non-compatable with ANYTHING else. Get in a pinch and need to fill it up? Anything other than Evans and your in for a lot of trouble. :(

Also, regular auto coolant is absolutely fine for your atv. I've been using it in bikes/atvs since 92'. Simply make sure its safe for aluminum radiators(most all are these days).