PDA

View Full Version : how long would it take you? opinions needed!

johnafun
01-12-2008, 09:31 PM
ok gange heres your test.

take an 06 ltz400

now heres your parts: revbox,front sprocket,jet kit and modquad airflow system.

heres the question: how long would it take YOU YOURSELF BY YOURSELF at home to install them?

so to exclude as much of my *****ing as possible. i had a close freind who started his own shop do the work for me as a favor.i could of done it myself but with my schedual ild just asume not mess with it and have it done when i got home.i had all the parts shipped to his house.all the parts where available minus a master link on a sunday. a week later the jets have not been installed and waiting on a master link and im being charged 265.00 for the work. so lets see his rate 35 an hour so thats about 7 hours ?????????????

so befor i give how long i think i could of done it in lets here yours

01-12-2008, 09:45 PM
I would say maybe 4 hours MAX if its your 1st time with jetting and all. If not if you have done it before or opened your carb because you were curious jetting isnt hard and doesnt really take long to change jets its just repetative to get the right jet. Rev box takes a matter of minutes, mod quad takes minutes. The only thing I could see taking long or something is the front sprocket. But it shouldnt take someone 7 hours to do all that. For a few simple mods 7 hours seems crazy.

johnafun
01-12-2008, 09:56 PM
haha yuppers 4 hrs is what i would of givin myself (chillen taking my time)2 1/2 hrs if i cramd. ive installed all these parts befor exept a rev box.but im no mechanic or trained in it.20 years of hands on experience.but still im not all that. there was more work to be done like adjusting the suspension after the lowering kit threw it way off and clamping down parts wich i had canceld out cuz i told him im coming on tuesday to pick up the bike wether its finished or not. so ya thanx for your opinion i need all the fuel i can get to argue the price. might thought is "did i pay you 35 an hr or 35 a day" LOL

01-12-2008, 10:17 PM
yeah I rather save my cash and work on it myself than pay mechanics to do it. There are very few things I would only take my quad to a professional for. even if it were to take you longer than 7 hours just think of the cash you saved you could buy another part or so or its gas for a long time for you to go riding.

johnafun
01-12-2008, 11:04 PM
sad part is this guy is a close trusted freind who i cary his name at dragbike races and now moving into quad racing. had number plates and logos of his shop printed for advertising . since im not a pro or have aponsers i usualy refuse to put part stikers on my bike and advertise for nothing in return.the deal was give me a discount on your work,help me with tuning and ile put your logo on. 6 months later i still give in and try and help the shop and when he's through i allways end up going back over it. i guess the lesson here is never mix buisness and freindship(it worked for ernhaert and childress) and you cant beat 20 years of hands on over 3 years of hard schooling.its really my own fault for keep on coming back because im to lazy to do it myself.

01-13-2008, 08:15 AM
if your looking for sponsorships and some discounts on parts make an account on sponsorhouse.com

brokenmike
01-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Why did you need a new masterlink? I can change a front sprocket in 15 minutes without taking the masterlink off. It is taking him a long time to do everything

johnafun
01-13-2008, 04:32 PM
we went one tooth down on the front sprocket he claims the swing arm wont compensate for the difference. i question it myself.

atvhonda-rider
01-13-2008, 07:20 PM
I'd give myself 2 hrs. MAX i tore my bike down for an engine rebuild in about 4 hrs. just cruisin along... you shouldn't need a master link, i went down a tooth this summer and no problems just adjust your tensioner.. if he thinks its amster link.. he might want to play with the tensioner first.. sounds like a bad deal bro.. and sadly that happens sometimes when like you said mix friendship with business... i've learned the hard way... DIY
Wes

INFAMOUSRACER7
01-13-2008, 07:56 PM
i would give myself maybe an hour and but i do this kind of stuff everyday. anyone else should be able to do these things in the time i have posted. Rev box 5-10min, front sproket 15-20min,jet kit 15-30min(most have instructions to get you extremely close),mod quad 10-15,

450rJam
01-13-2008, 08:07 PM
my 14 year old son could handle it in 4 hrs max, counting a couple trips to sonic for lunch/drink/snack

yfzrider310
01-13-2008, 08:08 PM
you got jipped

johnafun
01-14-2008, 12:30 AM
yall are great keep it coming. even the smart alec remarks at least it makes me laugh about it. tomarow is the big day when i pick it up and confront him in person.im a pilot on tugs so arguing by phone gets scarry when someone else is holding your stuff and you cant get to it.even worse when your captain is his dad LOL.ya i could go on and tell more of these bike **** up stories.but then this would turn into a talkin spit fest. like i said my fault.3 months ago it was new shocks."hey my steering is off center. hey one off my tires is way towed way out" it was fine when i was done looked good to me.. "so your telling me you cant see this its a good 5-10 degrees off center"well you must of done it youve rode it since."ya i just rode it rite now in your yard remember! i just picked it up 5 minuets ago!!"

450rJam
01-14-2008, 04:45 AM
at least you can learn from this..............

If they are that inapt to do minor bolt ons/adjustments I dont think I would bring it back
(and I sure wouldnt advertise for them)

johnafun
01-17-2008, 09:09 AM
ya i got jipped.just got the bike back and the carb work sucked.it was flat all the way around.now where doing it ourselfs . any suggestions on what combo of jet size and needle setting"s to start with? got hmf slip on k&n filter with airbox lid off.

fmftrx300ex
01-19-2008, 02:07 PM
prolly takin me an hour and a half if i was gunn ride after. those are all easy parts to put on....iv put my plastics on welded mounts and spawped sprokets in less then an hour... oh and im only 13 so thts sad tht it takes a sho tht long and yes i can weld

MTDman11
01-20-2008, 02:18 PM
Around here the shops charge 75-100 an hour at the dealerships. And even worse my dad makes me bring mine in for the smallest things when i know i can do it my self. and Even worse than that i have to pay for it all! I would love 35 an hour rates. But i think the kid is ripping you off man, if it takes him that long for that he shouldnt own a shop.

johnafun
01-22-2008, 07:58 PM
so we got her running rite ourselfs using a 170 jet shimmed stock needle with 4 spacers and open air box ya it took us about 5 hrs but we were F-N off and apperently the guy never did install the after market needle and aperently lost it too .so 5 hrs of trying to tune it utilizing a stock needle