PDA

View Full Version : KFX 400 "Bushing

DirtSlinger2
01-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Anyone replaced a steering stem bushing on an LTZ/KFX ? Mine has about 1/8" play that is really annoying, especially on the road. It doesn't look like that is too often changed by anyone...

RATPACK Z400
01-13-2008, 11:34 AM
Easy just take off tie rods and handlebars theres a nut at bottom of stem take that off slide stem up theres a plastic bushing where stem connects to frame slide it out then reverse steps,Go to eastcoastatv.com go to section to look at diagram of quad and you can see how it comes apart.

DirtSlinger2
01-13-2008, 12:22 PM
I appreciate the support. Thanks.

bellzbub
01-13-2008, 10:05 PM
you will have to move the oil tank. the rest is pretty simple. as stated remove the tie rods and the bolt on the stem. you dont have to remove the bars. tip it up on the tail. makes it easier than laying on the ground. you will have to knock out the old one. use a socket that is close and knock it out the top. put the new one in from top and get it seated. i found the easiest way for me was to put the stem back in and tap it down from the bar clamp area. take your time and it will seat. the oil tank can be a pain to move so you may need a helper. it is a pain but can be done and the sooner the better.

the best tool you can get for your z is a manual either from suzuki or a clymer. it will walk you through it.

RATPACK Z400
01-15-2008, 03:55 PM
No problem ! You,ll get it.

cataway
01-15-2008, 04:45 PM
once a pon a time you could get a brass bushing , got mine off from ebay but i think that guy got kicked off ebay for some reason. have not seen one now for some time

MaTT400KfX
01-17-2008, 11:37 AM
cataway, do you have the dimensions of that bushing. I'll need to replace also next summer, and the machinist at my work could probably do some, and i could maybe make few of them.

cataway
01-17-2008, 03:30 PM
no i do not ,but it is the same sizes as the OEM one

MaTT400KfX
01-18-2008, 06:15 AM
ok
i would need the specs of the oem one than. I'll try to find this out.

indyZrider
01-22-2008, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by MaTT400KfX
cataway, do you have the dimensions of that bushing. I'll need to replace also next summer, and the machinist at my work could probably do some, and i could maybe make few of them.

make sure you use oil impregnated brass stock when doing so. also let me know IF you ever do this cuz id be interested in getting another one.

MaTT400KfX
01-22-2008, 09:12 AM
My first thought was using Nyloil, but i'll ask the egineer at my work what would be the best for a bushing like that. But to have the dimension i'll probably need to buy an OEM one.
I'll let you know if i do it. I'll also check how much it would cost for each one.