PDA

View Full Version : Rideing Boots

Redlineracer
01-12-2008, 07:33 PM
I don't know verry much about rideing boots so could someone help me out?.....what is the difference between atv boots and motorcycle boots? also which would be better for me since I ride both motorcycle and atv?:confused:

Phugg
01-13-2008, 07:21 AM
Seperate boots for ATV vs MX .. just my opinion. Precursor= I dont ride tracks or ride hard , just a 250 Kawi Mojave. I actually use an older pair of RedWing climbing boots. They give good ankle support and have a steel shank. They are well worn in (5 years in the field as a cable tech) , been resoled 1 time and are still very thin at the toe (where I need it to fit under the shifter. I tried wearing my MX boots from when I did ride bikes and I just couldnt stand it. The ankle was too stiff , and the angles I sit , it just didnt work for me.

I would listen to what others say here to . they probably ride a lot harder than I do and have vastly more experience.

<DRS>GPF
01-13-2008, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Redlineracer
I don't know verry much about rideing boots so could someone help me out?.....what is the difference between atv boots and motorcycle boots? also which would be better for me since I ride both motorcycle and atv?:confused:

my first thought for an answer is the sole of the boot is more aggressive with an ATV boot. though im not sure why, perhaps someone could help me there..

although i only ride quads these days, i still use an MX boot.. (mostly because i got a great deal on them) i cant see where it makes alot of difference. (again, someone else could help me here..)

01-13-2008, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Phugg
Seperate boots for ATV vs MX .. just my opinion. Precursor= I dont ride tracks or ride hard , just a 250 Kawi Mojave. I actually use an older pair of RedWing climbing boots. They give good ankle support and have a steel shank. They are well worn in (5 years in the field as a cable tech) , been resoled 1 time and are still very thin at the toe (where I need it to fit under the shifter. I tried wearing my MX boots from when I did ride bikes and I just couldnt stand it. The ankle was too stiff , and the angles I sit , it just didnt work for me.

I would listen to what others say here to . they probably ride a lot harder than I do and have vastly more experience.

The 1st few times you ride with actual riding boots it feels like how the heck am i supposed to shift?!!! Normally you would use your ankle but once you get down shiffting with riding boots they are so comfortable and its easy to shift.

01-13-2008, 10:59 AM
Jus get motorcycle boots, the atv boots are not really diff. cuz the pegs are the same really. I got alpinestar tech 3's and i love them.

Redlineracer
01-13-2008, 11:40 AM
ok, so there isn't that much of a difference between them and it really doesn't matter what i choose as long as they are comfortable to me.

anymore advice on the subject would be appreciated. and thanks for the help.

mat1977
01-13-2008, 07:08 PM
If you ride aggresively,get mx boots,If you have never worn them you'll probably hate em at first,but once they break in you'll never ride with out them.I use Alpinestars and break them in by getting them wet when they are new.

ida400ex
01-13-2008, 08:09 PM
i have thor's and the only took about an hour to break in. i got them with an atv sole becouse i didnt know any better. the next boots i buy will probably be mx boots becouse there are so many more color options. the atv sole doesnt help me ant more than the mx would

Glenyzracer25
01-13-2008, 09:32 PM
i think that the atv soles just have a different design,maybe to add grip in muddy condition, and probably as a selling point. ride with them twice and you wont go back to anything else . the cheaper boots arent as stiff and provide good support unless your doing big jumps or have a lot of wrecks.lol

ATV Chic
01-13-2008, 10:01 PM
Unfortunately you get what you pay for when it comes to any riding gear IMO, especially helmets and boots. Go with alpinestars ;) you will not be dissapointed

Redlineracer
01-14-2008, 06:13 PM
I went ahead and got the mx style boots because I tend to ride agressively most of the time. as for breaking new boots in what have some of you found to be the easiest way to break them in without killing your feet in the process.

thanks for all the help!!

TRX450RACER174
01-14-2008, 06:33 PM
As mat1977 stated get them wet, I have tech 8s and filled up the tub with warm water put them on stood in the tub for like ten minutes then got out and walked around with them for a couple hours and you should be good.

KXRida
01-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by sexyatvchic
Unfortunately you get what you pay for when it comes to any riding gear IMO, especially helmets and boots. Go with alpinestars ;) you will not be dissapointed

couldn't agree more, but I was rather disappointed with my tech 8's. They were nice and comfortable and all, but the soles barely lasted a season. For $300+ (ofcourse I didn't pay that for them) they should've held up better than what they did. They are also heavy as hell! They feel like bricks on your feet. I just picked up a set of sg10's. After riding a day with them on, I'll never go back to alpinestars again.