PDA

View Full Version : carrier bearing swap

f150mann
01-12-2008, 06:18 PM
i got my bearings out, thats no problem. now im just wondering about greasing it.

do i put grease in the carrier before i put the bearings in??? or do i put the bearings in, then put grease inside the bearings???

also what kind of grease do i use? thanks guys

f150mann
01-13-2008, 11:21 AM
come on everyones done this you must know!

kraemer
01-13-2008, 02:52 PM
your only suppose to grease the inside of the bearings, but you may need some lube on the bearing to get them to seat easier

f150mann
01-13-2008, 02:54 PM
thank you for the help :D so the inside spacer between the bearings i grease the inside also and not the outside?

quad2xtreme
01-13-2008, 07:50 PM
grease the space both inside and outside with Bel-Ray waterproof grease.

You can carefully open up your bearings with a really small screw driver and add more grease to the bearings too.

Grease inside the swingarm too before you slide the carrier in.

Everything helps the next time you take it off.

f150mann
01-13-2008, 08:04 PM
i had thought you cant grease inside the swingarm??? isnt that really bad for it

quad2xtreme
01-13-2008, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by f150mann
i had thought you cant grease inside the swingarm??? isnt that really bad for it

Can't imagine why. I've been doing it since 2000. It is made from the same metal that gets grease on it in other places. It makes it much easier to adjust the chain when you need too. I've never had a problem with the carrier slipping and the chain coming loose either. I do torque those 4 bolts back and forth until the torque wrench clicks at 18 ft/lbs instead of 15 though.

tim colston
01-14-2008, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme

You can carefully open up your bearings with a really small screw driver and add more grease to the bearings too.

Don't open your bearings. These are sealed bearings and have adaquate grease in them. You are asking for trouble if you go screwing with the bearings. Not good info.

86 Quad R
01-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by tim colston
Don't open your bearings. These are sealed bearings and have adaquate grease in them. You are asking for trouble if you go screwing with the bearings. Not good info.

have you actually opened up the bearings that are being sold these days? the grease is nill to none. its like anything else. skimp on a lil grease here en there adds to mega bucks saved each year for the company lol

i've been adding extra grease to all of my bearings for years with out any troubles. :cool:

tim colston
01-16-2008, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
have you actually opened up the bearings that are being sold these days? the grease is nill to none. its like anything else. skimp on a lil grease here en there adds to mega bucks saved each year for the company lol

i've been adding extra grease to all of my bearings for years with out any troubles. :cool:

Yes I have I sell bearings and such for a living. The sealed bearing are mostly filled with a lithium type grease. A little goes a long way. The grease they are buying is little to none of the cost of the bearing. They don't skimp on the grease, you just don't need it oozing out of the bearing for it to be effective. Do whatever you want, I dont' care, but my suggestion would be to NOT screw with the bearings at all. Those seales and such are pressed in for a reason.

86 Quad R
01-16-2008, 07:55 AM
lol i wasnt referring to packing the bearing to the point to where grease is spreading the opposing seal out when ya reinstall the last but addition grease should be applied. about 80% of the bearings i've added grease to lately had HARDLY any grease in them. personally, as hard as i ride and the punishment that my bearings take. the added grease in goed insurance for me. :)

tim colston
01-16-2008, 08:02 AM
different strokes for diff folks I guess.