Venom Porting and Kibblewhite +1 valvetrain
Venom 14.25:1 Piston
Venom Modified ESR Intake
Venom Modified 43mm FCR Carb
Early HRC Cam
Venom Exhaust
HotRods +3 Stroker
MaxPower Ice Cube 100mm Cylinder

Can't say enough about how much fun this thing is to ride.

pro-rider46
01-12-2008, 08:19 PM
not shabby

chad502ex
01-14-2008, 04:58 PM
those ESR intakes have been tested to show tq below 30ft# below 5500 rpm only to bias the curve toward top end....

most stock bores make 30ft# at 4000 rpm...

change out the ESR intake to OEM.

Good luck and glad to see your happy with your build.

pb_paulie_b
01-14-2008, 08:22 PM
I would have thought with those mods it would make more. Could be the dyno though.

sandmanblue
01-15-2008, 09:09 AM
You know, I keep having to post this so people can take these numbers into perspective. When I got done with testing, I asked what the highest numbers they've seen on this dyno for a 450 based build.

The HIGHEST numbers ANY 450 based build without power adders has pulled on this dyno is 66 - 67 hp, and those were 550cc builds. I believe one was on methanol too..... This was the KMS dyno in Phoenix. So, there is your reference for power. I do not believe that any stock bores have broken the 60 hp barrier on this dyno. None. Not even the highly modified and ported by the ancient greek gods for drag only builds.....

Kinda puts things into perspective.

pb_paulie_b
01-15-2008, 01:40 PM
Well thanks for the explanation and being a gentleman about it.
Any future mods? If you have a local source methanol would help alot. I get mine from the race track.

sandmanblue
01-15-2008, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by pb_paulie_b
Well thanks for the explanation and being a gentleman about it.
Any future mods? If you have a local source methanol would help alot. I get mine from the race track.

Nope. This motor is all done. And no methanol for me. Too much hassle to run and tune.

01-15-2008, 08:17 PM
man I want to feel what 60HP feels like on a quad. I bet you have more HP than a geo metro lol. Most impessive I have seen was a XR650 with 75HP, whats that gotta feel like in the seat of your pants you could kill anything if you even get traction

sandmanblue
01-17-2008, 08:53 AM
It's fun. Imagine being able to do a launch in THIRD gear from a standstill.... It's a handful!

250r4life
01-17-2008, 09:24 AM
have you clocked what it can climb olds at?

XXXRACER165
01-18-2008, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by sandmanblue
You know, I keep having to post this so people can take these numbers into perspective. When I got done with testing, I asked what the highest numbers they've seen on this dyno for a 450 based build.

The HIGHEST numbers ANY 450 based build without power adders has pulled on this dyno is 66 - 67 hp, and those were 550cc builds. I believe one was on methanol too..... This was the KMS dyno in Phoenix. So, there is your reference for power. I do not believe that any stock bores have broken the 60 hp barrier on this dyno. None. Not even the highly modified and ported by the ancient greek gods for drag only builds.....

Kinda puts things into perspective.

Pro riders like Joe Byrd has 69 hp on a stock bore 450R

Wicked450r
01-19-2008, 09:38 AM
those are very nice numbers, I can relate, I ha ve a 545 that lays down just a touch more HP and 46 ft lbs of torque. on a stock carb and on gas. They are lots of fun

sandmanblue
01-21-2008, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by XXXRACER165
Pro riders like Joe Byrd has 69 hp on a stock bore 450R

I do not doubt that there are stock bore builds that have pulled those kinds of numbers on certain dyno's. But, that's the key - certain dyno's.....

Some of the highest readings I have seen are on Dynomite dyno's. If I wanted to just post big numbers for ego purposes, I'd hunt down a Dynomite.....

pb_paulie_b
01-21-2008, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by sandmanblue
I do not doubt that there are stock bore builds that have pulled those kinds of numbers on certain dyno's. But, that's the key - certain dyno's.....

^Exactly.....^
I'm of the opinion that Joe Byrd might also get certain parts and mods that's above the general public.

batista13
02-03-2008, 04:47 PM
Well...i know u may not think so...but 60hp from a 450 bore is very very reachable...and a lot more torque than u think...I know the numbers my TT bike out and u might be suprised

Benjithx
02-07-2008, 05:04 PM
Dan from DASA goes through Joe's Motor every other race to keep it going at that extreme limit.

Dan has our motor now and I can tell you from talking to him that he is a mad scientist that really knows his stuff. 69hp on a stock bore sounds impossible,...except when you add DASA to the equation :-)

FHKracingZ
04-01-2008, 09:09 AM
Its funny that you stick behind dasa as your builder and everybody knows he is damn good at what he does, but your just paying $550 for a port job you could probally do on your own.. if you think your getting some kind of "special" port job, your not...

Joe gets custom needles, one off valves and certain relays for the electronics from factory honda that all come into contex when building huge horse motors..

I am willing to bet my life that joe's byrd on a DYNO JET dyno will not hit 69hp..

I seen a fully built rage motor, purpose built for cody miller, on oxygenated fuel pull 55.1 hp on a dynojet dyno.

chad502ex
04-01-2008, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by FHKracingZ
Its funny that you stick behind dasa as your builder and everybody knows he is damn good at what he does, but your just paying $550 for a port job you could probally do on your own.. if you think your getting some kind of "special" port job, your not...

Joe gets custom needles, one off valves and certain relays for the electronics from factory honda that all come into contex when building huge horse motors..

I am willing to bet my life that joe's byrd on a DYNO JET dyno will not hit 69hp..

I agree with you that nobody, other than the Pro's, will get Pro work .....

I seen a fully built rage motor, purpose built for cody miller, on oxygenated fuel pull 55.1 hp on a dynojet dyno.

That is the funniest thing I've ever heard..... I believe it too!
:devil:

FHKracingZ
04-01-2008, 09:23 AM
Exactly, i was looking through the dyno pages here and found a guy showing a dyno of his DASA ltr 450CC at 70hp, i almost fell out of my chair laughing.. Anybody that knows current 450 motors, KNOWS the hondas are the highest hp bike when built right...

Im willing to bet my life ( again ) that, that DASA LTR on this forum wont pull over 55hp on a dynojet dyno, and if it did, i would be impressed.

chad502ex
04-01-2008, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by FHKracingZ
Exactly, i was looking through the dyno pages here and found a guy showing a dyno of his DASA ltr 450CC at 70hp, i almost fell out of my chair laughing.. Anybody that knows current 450 motors, KNOWS the hondas are the highest hp bike when built right...

Im willing to bet my life ( again ) that, that DASA LTR on this forum wont pull over 55hp on a dynojet dyno, and if it did, i would be impressed.

dynojet dynos is all I test on.... no load cell dynos or dynomite dynos...

.... as for DASA,.. I do respect Dan Lamey's work, when Dan does the work himself, and not one of his technician(s).... the other shop you referenced; imo- will never be all that....

zracer16
04-01-2008, 03:22 PM
the other shop you referenced; imo- will never be all that....

Oh really. Rage did a pretty damn good job on Harold Goodman's motor last year, maybe you heard of him.

FHKracingZ
04-01-2008, 05:31 PM
Rage gains all and any horsepower through decking the head massively.

KingRage12
04-01-2008, 08:47 PM
Just curious where you get your information there....being that I just started building his engines this year...Can Ams that is and the only place these engines have been on a drum is my shop. So maybe your a tad bit misinformed, and I assure you, both his and Natalies motors are over 60 hp at around 37 on the torque. I sell the same thing to the public as I give to the pros or pro ams as well. Only differences are some tuning characteristics, pipe, throttle bodys, ect. Plenty of stuff of mine floating around the internet to make that obvious. Sorry to dissapoint ya there Chad . As far as what Dasa claims, I cannot be sure, but I will say that Joe Byrds Honda definately hauls butt and I am sure its well over the 60 mark as well as the Suzukis. I dynoed Harold Goodmans before it left the shop for the Alabama race and its well over the mark just like Jason Dunkelburgs. I think that Frank Batista can profess that Harolds was over the mark as well last year. Franks was definately flying. This year, Danny McGraw, and Amanda How will be in the same ball park. Harolds TT bike for the upcoming season will be a little stronger though, guess we will just have to wait and see for yourself. But these engine kits are availalbe to the public, and I will guarantee 60 plus stock bore on the hondas with the RIGHT combination. Our engines won 9 national titles between the WPSA and Nationals last year alone, just ask one of our riders if what we claim is true.

400exrider989
04-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Nice numbers, i bet that lightend your wallet too, i love how your guys all argue about HP numbers and the ones that think a 450 can make somewhat near 60 HP, now maybe if you used a 20 shot of N20 you could get 60 HP but thats no fun using a bottle, and it sucks when a high power 4-stroke breaks, makes your wallet become a empty peice of lether, which is why i have a banshee :D , you know with about 2000 grand you could have more power out of a banshee (with all new parts) then that 4-stroke, anything can be built fast, but the banshee can be built the fastest :devil:

zracer16
04-02-2008, 08:45 AM
FHK, I like how you stated that like it was a fact. Your an idiot. KingRage put you in your place. Next time why don't you have proof to back up your ignorant statements.

250r4life
04-02-2008, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider989
you know with about 2000 grand you

2000 grand huh? that sounds pretty pricey to me... i dont know about the rest of ya'll, but i dont have 2 million lying around to build a banshee...

400exrider989
04-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life
2000 grand huh? that sounds pretty pricey to me... i dont know about the rest of ya'll, but i dont have 2 million lying around to build a banshee...

ha oh common you know you have atleast 2 mill siting in your basement, in cash all stacked up, you cant fool us, i think you should share it though :chinese:

yz426rider
04-04-2008, 11:22 PM
CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG! LOL..... I THINK THAT ALL THESE ENGINE BUILDERS KNOW HOW TO BUILD A MOTOR. I HAVE PERSONALLY RAIN SPARKS/ BALDWIN/ AND NOW THIS YEAR I'M GOING WITH RAGE. DEE'S A GREAT GUY AND I TRULY BELIEVE THAT IF HE SAYS 60 PLUSS HP THEN THAT IS WHAT YOUR GOING TO GET. BUT LIKE HE SAID WITH THE RIGHT COMBINATIONS. KINDA LIKE TRYING TO BUILD A CHEVY TRUCK BUT WITH A FORD TRANY! MIGHT GET IT TO WORK (SOMEHOW) BUT WONT BE AS GOOD AS IT SHOULD BE! LOOKING FORWARD TO MY NEW RAGE MOTOR. ALL THESE ENGINE BUILDERS CAN BUILD YOU A GOOD MOTOR. IT JUST WHOEVER YOU WANT TO DEAL WITH!

TheNewn
04-09-2008, 06:24 PM
As soon as Rage let people know how it was, no nay sayer spoke again.

Interesting...

RATPACK Z400
04-20-2008, 10:58 AM
i believe the 511 trx can hit 60hps ,but a 450 that high sounds way off just a few years ago the builders where getting 52-55 hps with 450ccs now people say they can get 60 -69hps explain where this 5-14hp came from that they didn,t have a few years ago? Im just wondering cause stock is near 40hps for 450s thats a lot of hps without a bore or stroke kit.Just wondering !

yz426rider
04-20-2008, 12:35 PM
Somtimes its not how big the motor is it's how well it is built! Rode my new rage motor. Haven't had it on a dyno yet....but it s FLYS! And somtimes it jsut having the right combinations. rather then a big bore or stroke for hp.

RATPACK Z400
04-20-2008, 07:06 PM
I realize that, but someone said bryd,s running 69 hps, this is byrd from the mx series ?

liledg
05-25-2008, 05:00 PM
Hey just saw this kinda late. but i got a stock crank and 64 HP 40 lbs TQ. At the bottom of my post i list what i got. just 4 your info the parts picked up at DASA but bolted together in my buddys garage. then took it 2 DASA and had it dynoed. used mr9 vp fuel, now on mr11 vp fuel. just given my 2 cent any info will help.

elementryder
07-08-2008, 02:45 PM
if you ask me thats kinda weak for a 511! and with the storke that it has compared to a standard stroke it probly revs like a turd

07-08-2008, 05:24 PM
a small turbo can double your HP :)

lt2504stroke
03-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider989
Nice numbers, i bet that lightend your wallet too, i love how your guys all argue about HP numbers and the ones that think a 450 can make somewhat near 60 HP, now maybe if you used a 20 shot of N20 you could get 60 HP but thats no fun using a bottle, and it sucks when a high power 4-stroke breaks, makes your wallet become a empty peice of lether, which is why i have a banshee :D , you know with about 2000 grand you could have more power out of a banshee (with all new parts) then that 4-stroke, anything can be built fast, but the banshee can be built the fastest :devil:

I hate banshees but sadly hes right.
it depends on the dyno.
60hp out of a 450 I will be very impressed.

joebabic
03-20-2009, 10:41 PM
ALL THIS TALK ABOUT A 70 HP 450R WITH OUT A TURBO IS BULL ****...................................

R3Concepts
03-23-2009, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by joebabic
ALL THIS TALK ABOUT A 70 HP 450R WITH OUT A TURBO IS BULL ****...................................

There are a handful of over 70 HP TRXs that are all motor bikes that run the FourStrokeAssociation Series.

joebabic
03-23-2009, 07:23 PM
ok my bad a hand full out of how many made . i havent seen one in person

factoryX
04-01-2009, 12:42 AM
this thread was great! this brings the almighty 4 stroke back to where it should be...lol, all this talk about 70hp average joe motors...wow. Same thing with the crf250r, every saying 40hp. stock 29hp, they claim to be gettiing a 20hp jump with a stock bored. what a joke. with a pipe it is around 31hp, cr125 with out a pipe is 32hp, with a pipe, 34-36hp if not more....

lzyga05
05-01-2009, 10:20 PM
note* pros have money for any thing , i am sure most pros are riping at around 65hp+ also they all have nasty cams and custom grinds and super high comp and race gas, and they are all high revving low torq motors , the 550 build has good numbers and hes motor will out last a pros by a long shot.

250r4life
01-20-2010, 06:53 PM
im pretty sure the bike from this original post is on craigslist now... apparently it wasnt as bad as he thought

383chevel
04-10-2010, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
man I want to feel what 60HP feels like on a quad. I bet you have more HP than a geo metro lol. Most impessive I have seen was a XR650 with 75HP, whats that gotta feel like in the seat of your pants you could kill anything if you even get traction
if you wana know what 60 horsepower on a quad feels like. ride my stock bore/stroke 700 raptor. LOL
(14:1 CP piston, hotcams stage 3, 2mm larger throttle body, dual barker exhaust, power commander) i have a dyno chart in hand for my raptor. 62 horsepower, 49 ft-lbs torque. this was a dynojet dyno in hesperia. you know whats funny? all of you 450 guys probably spent 2-3 times the money i did, and are victorious if you break high 50's. hahaha. wata waste of time and money

Buttermilk
04-12-2010, 04:19 PM
I have a buddy that has a RAGE built 450R that hit 61.8HP on a local dyno.

It's legit. 2005 stock bore/stroke. Really fast quad.

Rog

flyjum
04-18-2010, 06:16 PM
I ran 58 whp on pump gas (12.5:1) Big bore (500cc) crf450r hybrid. Im reving to 12k rpm. The torque is pretty low. Hp is just torque times rpm divided by 5252. The higher your torque curve in rpm the more power. Only real mod that adds torque is compression ratio somewhat and cubic inches stroking adds more torque then a bigbore as well for the same cubes.

The VE makes a diffrence somewhat as well. I saw a 450r dyno read out that read over 55 torque. Its obvious the readout was corrected wrong. Some dynos read right some read way high. It all depends on who is runing the dyno and the make.

witech
04-25-2010, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by Buttermilk
I have a buddy that has a RAGE built 450R that hit 61.8HP on a local dyno.

It's legit. 2005 stock bore/stroke. Really fast quad.

Rog
Thats hard to believe.Id have to see it in person and cc the engine . Ive seen one 450 getting to within a few tenths of 60hp . That took a lot of tuning and cam timing changes. To get the hp/cc ratio above .13 is no easy task on regular fuels.

383chevel
04-26-2010, 09:39 PM
"Only real mod that adds torque is compression ratio somewhat and cubic inches stroking adds more torque then a bigbore as well for the same cubes."

this is not true
changing cam timing and head porting can affect torque numbers. and big bores dont necessarily add torque. if no other changes are made they will just pull the powerband down into the lower rpms unless the porting, valve timing, carb, and exhaust are also changed to compensate for the imbalance

flyjum
04-27-2010, 02:33 AM
Yes I said VE makes a diffrences as well. VE comes from head porting and cam size.

Cam profile changes the torque curve not really overall torque.

Big bore add cubes thus adds torque but not as effectivly as a stroker.

Stroker adds more torque then a big bore at the same given cc's due to more crankshaft throw.

The rod to stroke ratio is worse with a stroker so you need a stronger rod to run the same rpm.

Big bore short stroke motors can rev higher then small bore big stroke motors. They normaly make more horsepower then a bug stroke small bore engine because they are setup to rev to higher rpm.

Big bore engines can run larger valves and have more clearance for the air to flow.

On a quad engine I would rather have a stroker then a big bore because you get more torque out of it.

On a dirtbike I would run a big bore because you can rev them higher and they make more horsepower up top. You dont need low end torque on a light bike.