PDA

View Full Version : HydroDynamics USA Suspension Upgrade

hornetgod13
01-12-2008, 12:53 PM
I'm finally going to upgrade the suspension. After searching around, reading countless posts, and reading article after article I decided to go with HydroDynamics i5500 complete suspension kit. I like the fact that it's a complete kit and it all comes with a lifetime warranty.

Here's a link to a C&D review of the i5500 suspension kit with F-8 piggyback shocks. http://www.atvriders.com/atvproductreviews/ishockatvfrontsuspensioni5500kitreview.html

Since the article was posted HDUSA has went back and improved the F-8 shocks by adding Multi-Rate springs too. The shocks are set up according to riding weight and your riding terrain/style.

I ordered the kit yesterday. I will keep you all posted on the installation process and overall feel of the suspension.

hornetgod13
01-12-2008, 12:56 PM
Here's a link to the information on the shocks as well as a photo.
http://www.hydrodynamicsusa.com/products/product_info.php?cPath=29_34&products_id=48&osCsid=2921cd8da133dc1c2e14a3b6178744a8

416exfreak
01-12-2008, 01:06 PM
Nice choice;)

Let us know how it rides man! I've considered them for a first front end, but im also caught between a FullFlight/PEP front end too...:D

atvmaster0927
01-12-2008, 01:41 PM
Those are really nice. Once i get enough money for those, ill get them or maybe elkas.

01-12-2008, 02:21 PM
Whoa HD stepped up their shocks! those new ones are awesome!!!

maxfior
01-13-2008, 08:12 AM
Wow! Those are nice! You'll have to let us know how they work for you, I'm sure they'll be awesome... Did you get them directly through the company or mail order? $1850 is a lot, but I guess since you are getting a complete package and it is setup for you and what not that seems good. I like their attention to detail. Warranty also helps ;)

Max

TRXRacer1
01-13-2008, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by maxfior
Wow! Those are nice! You'll have to let us know how they work for you, I'm sure they'll be awesome... Did you get them directly through the company or mail order? $1850 is a lot, but I guess since you are getting a complete package and it is setup for you and what not that seems good. I like their attention to detail. Warranty also helps ;)

Max $1665.99 through RMATV...........but even for that money I'd still put my own package together.

maxfior
01-13-2008, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
$1665.99 through RMATV...........but even for that money I'd still put my own package together.

...what would your package consist of? Prices to :)

Max

hornetgod13
01-13-2008, 09:28 AM
It's all covered under warranty and their products are top notch. It all been tested by several companies and magazines and I'm confident I'm buying a top notch product.

If I wanted this kind of quality and customer service and went out and tried to buy this kit individually it would cost well over $1,850 easily. See the pictures above or visit their website for more information on the kits available.

Rockymountainatv does list the kit for a bit cheaper than the website but they don't have the new F-8 multi-rate shocks included and I wanted my shocks custom vavled and sprung directly from the factory.

01-13-2008, 09:34 AM
yeah motosport had the whole F-8 kit for $1300 but they arent the new F-8 which look and sound kick a**

TRXRacer1
01-13-2008, 09:44 AM
...what would your package consist of? Prices to :)

Max You could get a set of houser a-arms (in either +1 or +2), steel braided extended brake lines and Elka triple rate piggy back shocks for around $1400. The down side though is that you don't get a cool box and instructional DVD.

hornetgod13
01-13-2008, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
You could get a set of houser a-arms (in either +1 or +2), steel braided extended brake lines and Elka triple rate piggy back shocks for around $1400. The down side though is that you don't get a cool box and instructional DVD.

Go shopping for all of this and see how much you pay (shipping included) and if it's cover by lifetime warranty.

Fully Adjustable Multi-Rate F-8 iShocks
100% Chromoly +2" upper Phantom A-Arms (X-Rayed for defects)
100% Chromoly +2" lower Phantom A-Arms (X-Rayed for defects)
Extended HDUSA tie rods
Upper Brass Knuckle Ball Joints
Lower Brass Knuckle Ball Joints
3-piece steel braided Spyder Brake Lines
2 sets of Grunt brake line clamps
Complete set of bushings and sleeves
HDUSA Ball Joint Press Tool
Spring Preload Tools
Instructional DVD
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
Lifetime Warranty

Sounds like your hating if you ask me. Not sure why. If you don't like it go shopping.

TRXRacer1
01-13-2008, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
Go shopping for all of this and see how much you pay (shipping included) and if it's cover by lifetime warranty.

Fully Adjustable Multi-Rate F-8 iShocks
100% Chromoly +2" upper Phantom A-Arms (X-Rayed for defects)
100% Chromoly +2" lower Phantom A-Arms (X-Rayed for defects)
Extended HDUSA tie rods
Upper Brass Knuckle Ball Joints
Lower Brass Knuckle Ball Joints
3-piece steel braided Spyder Brake Lines
2 sets of Grunt brake line clamps
Complete set of bushings and sleeves
HDUSA Ball Joint Press Tool
Spring Preload Tools
Instructional DVD
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
Lifetime Warranty

Sounds like your hating if you ask me. Not sure why. If you don't like it go shopping. I don't really care about the lifetime warranty or the marketing pitch. Maxfior asked what I would have got so I told him. I'm sure you're getting a killer package, just not hte one I would have got.

08400EX
01-13-2008, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
yeah motosport had the whole F-8 kit for $1300 but they arent the new F-8 which look and sound kick a**

Have you called to confirm that? I am pretty sure all of the iShock kits ship directly form Hydro directly whichs means they would be new stock(multi-rate) and setup for the rider. It is not unusual for RM and MS to not update their website to the latest info, yet you still get the latest products, BTDT.

I tried to call Moto and RM but they are closed today. What makes me tend to think this is there is a delay in shipping times on these items whereas all others items say ship immediately. RM say ships in 1-2 days for their kit and MS says delivered in 3-5 days via ground. Both of these shipping notes are unusual for both companies.

Gonna call Monday to confirm, if my suspicions are correct (for a change :-) for $1300 I would definitely bite. I also bet RM will match the MS sale price???

hornetgod13
01-13-2008, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by 08400EX

Gonna call Monday to confirm, if my suspicions are correct (for a change :-) for $1300 I would definitely bite. I also bet RM will match the MS sale price???

If you pull it off that's a heck of a price savings. RMATV has free shipping over $99.00 too.

They might be trying to get rid of the old F-8 shocks for a reduced price. Best of luck to you. Let me know what you find out. I might cancel my order through HDUSA and buy elsewhere based on what you find out.

08400EX
01-13-2008, 11:16 AM
Hornet,

Will keep you posted. I am all about saving money for myself.. and others!

BTW, not sure if you noticed but "RideNow" is selling the i3500 Kit for $499 as a special on Ebay. Even if you paid retail for the shocks you will still be only $1500 or so.

Never used RideNow but I assume they are a legitimate Hydo dealer so warranty etc. should still apply.

Honda#4
01-13-2008, 11:37 AM
That will look sick on ur quad Hornet, what color arms u plan on getting?

08400EX
01-13-2008, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Honda#4
That will look sick on ur quad Hornet, what color arms u plan on getting?

I AGREE!!! Bet he's getting black to match the other cool black stuff :-)

Honda#4
01-13-2008, 11:54 AM
Yea

Phillburt57
01-13-2008, 12:11 PM
I have the older versionof this kit and all I could say is that it was the most bang for the buck IMO. It was really easy to install and every part came with it. The shocks DO come from the factory pre-tuned for rider specs but they let you send them back if you want them to re-work them a little and all you have to pay is the shipping. They are really good people over there and will help you with anything. The shocks are great and the arms have lasted really well with minimal chipping which suprises me sometimes.

hornetgod13
01-13-2008, 12:19 PM
I AGREE!!! Bet he's getting black to match the other cool black stuff :-)

Your right! I did order the black arms. Down the road I'd like to paint the whole frame black.

maxfior
01-13-2008, 12:25 PM
Some good disscussions going on here guys... I'm going to have to keep an eye out for how this kit performs. I like the idea that you get everything from one company, but, I'm also into keeping my eyes peeled on used deals or good new deals. My wife would kill me if I spent "x" about of dollars on my EX. It's bad enough I get yelled at for my 3wheeler collection ;)

Max

Honda#4
01-13-2008, 12:30 PM
Getter PC'd Hornet you'll sleep better at night, but there aint nothing wrong with paint either just gotta put plenty of coats on it.

hornetgod13
01-13-2008, 12:34 PM
Getter PC'd Hornet you'll sleep better at night, but there aint nothing wrong with paint either just gotta put plenty of coats on it.

If I do it, I'm going to do it right. Powder coating is the only way.

08400EX
01-13-2008, 01:06 PM
If I do it, I'm going to do it right. Powder coating is the only way.

In that case why not go for it and get this little guy. You could just have the aluminum hard coat anodized clear and call it a day :-) After all it's only money!!

If only they would drop the price a little even I would be tempted.

Phillburt57
01-13-2008, 01:31 PM
Some good disscussions going on here guys... I'm going to have to keep an eye out for how this kit performs. I like the idea that you get everything from one company, but, I'm also into keeping my eyes peeled on used deals or good new deals. My wife would kill me if I spent "x" about of dollars on my EX. It's bad enough I get yelled at for my 3wheeler collection ;)

Max

There was a deal on Ebay for the i4500 kit non rezzie shocks for 799 bucks with 25 bucks shipped brand new. That was definetley a steal.

Honda#4
01-14-2008, 06:55 AM
If I do it, I'm going to do it right. Powder coating is the only way

Good choice.

08400EX
01-14-2008, 10:20 AM
Let me know what you find out. I might cancel my order through HDUSA and buy elsewhere based on what you find out.

I talked with RM a few minutes ago. The CSR did confirm the kits are drop shipped directly from Hydro. The CSR and the supervisor were confident the latest version would be shipped. They weren't sure how the custom setup is handled, they thought the "average" setup was typically shipped.

They also aid they would most likely match the MS price of $1299.95. CSR said they would have to submit the info to the Super to get approval but that is was done all the time. They were ready to do that for me immediately but I did't want to run them thru hoops as I wasn't 100% ready to buy yet.

It is my understanding that Hydro offers a free service to return their systems for setup changes so that would take care of that. I also think that once the order was placed thru RM you could probably call Hydro with your order #, ask them to find your order and set them up to your specs before shipping. This would be a win win for eveyone as Hydro wouldn't have to do it twice so I would think they would be inclined do it this way. That is just a guess, but it makes sense.

Not sure if all of this is worth it, but $500+ savings is a lot of money to most people.

Hope that helps.

hornetgod13
01-14-2008, 12:45 PM
Good research and info. I have been on the phone/e-mail with HDUSA and they are custom tuning my F-8 Multi-Rate iShocks now and my kit is shipping out to me this afternoon. I confirmed the fact that they do FREE tuning on all of there shocks for the lifetime of the shock. All you pay is the shipping. One week turn around time or less guaranteed. That’s in their shop, not including shipping to or from.

I just mailed in my stock rear shock to be revalved and resprung to make it better match the performance of the new front end. They are charging me $199.00 for the tuning and $80.00 more if it requires a spring.

08400EX
01-14-2008, 12:57 PM
The lifetime tuning is WELL worth the cost of admission! Kudos for them!

The rear shock deal is also great AND having it done by the same people that do the front will be a PLUS!

Can't wait to hear your feedback, I am thinking more and more about the F-8s for myself.

hornetgod13
01-17-2008, 03:11 AM
Update: Got the kit today and started the installation. Everything went together smoothly until I went to install the shocks. Apparently they put the wrong sized bushing in the upper and lower eyes and it was impossible for them fit. A quick call to HDUSA and the problem was solved. They are FEDEXing the correct bushings overnight to me and threw in a few set of black brake line clamps free of charge for the mix up. They were very professional and polite on the phone and since I'm waiting for the rear shock to get tuned and just ordered the 416cc piston, I'm in no rush. I'll take some pictures once it all together. I just need to adjust the camber and toe in and I'll be done once the shock are bolted on.
I also put a 2+2 DuraBlue eliminator axle on to widen the back end too. This thing is going to ride great. I can't wait to get the motor back together so I can go test the suspension out. I feel like I'm getting a new quad!

Honda#4
01-17-2008, 06:57 AM
It will definently feel like a whole different quad, I cant believe what this is gonna look like now.

And FYI Durablue makes the Eliminator axle and LSR makes the axcaliber axle idk if you typed it wrong but thats what they are.

maxfior
01-17-2008, 07:12 AM
Update: Got the kit today and started the installation. Everything went together smoothly until I went to install the shocks. Apparently they put the wrong sized bushing in the upper and lower eyes and it was impossible for them fit. A quick call to HDUSA and the problem was solved. They are FEDEXing the correct bushings overnight to me and threw in a few set of black brake line clamps free of charge for the mix up. They were very professional and polite on the phone and since I'm waiting for the rear shock to get tuned and just ordered the 416cc piston, I'm in no rush. I'll take some pictures once it all together. I just need to adjust the camber and toe in and I'll be done once the shock are bolted on.
I also put a 2+2 DuraBlue excaliber axle on to widen the back end too. This thing is going to ride great. I can't wait to get the motor back together so I can go test the suspension out. I feel like I'm getting a new quad!

Sounds awesome man! That's good that they took care of you, honestly, any good company should do what HDUSA is doing, that is really good. I think when I'm ready I might do the same thing as you, since you get a whole kit and good warranty and great support. It'll be cool to see your finished setup!

Max

exracer416
01-17-2008, 07:26 AM
how wide will your quad be after this? what offset wheel are you running in the front??

hornetgod13
01-17-2008, 08:17 AM
It will definently feel like a whole different quad, I cant believe what this is gonna look like now.

And FYI Durablue makes the Eliminator axle and LSR makes the axcaliber axle idk if you typed it wrong but thats what they are.

My bad! It is an Eliminator axle. Nice catch there.

hornetgod13
01-17-2008, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by exracer416
how wide will your quad be after this? what offset wheel are you running in the front??

I measured it before and it was 44 1/4" wide in the front with 3+2 off set Hiper/Klaw combo. I'll measure it again today and let you know how wide it is now. They are +2 arms so I'm going to guess in the area of 48 1/4".

Honda#4
01-17-2008, 08:32 AM
Your welcome about the correction ur probably excited about the whole suspension thing so its understandable. You'll be legal no doubt with the front end, unlike me where as im at 52" but hopefully I can sell my tires and wheels to get a new MX combo.

08400EX
01-17-2008, 08:58 AM
Your welcome about the correction ur probably excited about the whole suspension thing so its understandable.

It is probably also partially my fault as I was incorrectly calling the Durablue an "Excaliber" in the other thread I started that Hornet posted in. I have corrected it also.

Thanks for straightening me out too!

Honda#4
01-17-2008, 09:05 AM
not a problem. Hope you like the axle Hornet, I'll be getting my LSR on Monday hopefully.

hornetgod13
01-17-2008, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by exracer416

Just measured:

Front is 47 7/8" with the 3+2 Hiper/Klaw combo
Rear 49 7/8" with 3+6 off set Hiper/Klaw combo

hornetgod13
01-17-2008, 09:14 AM
not a problem. Hope you like the axle Hornet, I'll be getting my LSR on Monday hopefully.

The axle looks fantastic. I have it set up as a +2 right now. The Rad-Loc axle nut fit's and works perfectly too. I'll post pictures of it as well once I get the front end all finished. I recommend you replace the wheel bearings too while you have it apart. That's what I did.

Honda#4
01-17-2008, 09:22 AM
You mean the axle bearings? if so I had them replaced a year and a half ago, if you do mean the wheel bearings in the front everything spins freely.

You'll be amazed at how well you can corner now, I could'nt believe how fast I can take corners and jumping is like sleeping on a cloud.

hornetgod13
01-17-2008, 09:30 AM
You mean the axle bearings?

Yes, the axle bearings.

hornetgod13
01-17-2008, 09:37 AM
The steel braided Spyder brake lines are awesome! Once I got them installed and bled the brakes, I can feel a huge difference in the brake lever deflection. The brakes feel alot stiffer and quicker to respond. I should have went to braided steel brake lines a year ago.

Honda#4
01-17-2008, 09:43 AM
Yea there alot better than regualar rubber ones they dont expand as much as the rubber ones do.

hornetgod13
01-17-2008, 05:23 PM
Yea there alot better than regualar rubber ones they dont expand as much as the rubber ones do.

I like the way front brakes feel so much with the new steel braided brake lines that I went out and bought one for the rear too.

Honda#4
01-17-2008, 06:22 PM
Yea it may come down to that for me also, theres a site that you can buy a whole brake system has like the rotors,pads,lines and clamps for like $250.

hornetgod13
01-18-2008, 11:29 PM
I got the kit all mounted up and the brakes bled. I'm waiting for the rear shock to come back and than I'll knock out the camber and toe in adjustments. It will still be a week or so before I get the motor back together and have a chance to take it out and test it. Here's a few pictures of it in the garage. Once it's all back together I'll take some better pictures.

hornetgod13
01-18-2008, 11:30 PM
Front view.

klutch
01-18-2008, 11:33 PM
Can't wait to see the pics when its completely done you have one of the nicest 400exs on the site it will look even better all extended and stuff.

hornetgod13
01-18-2008, 11:34 PM
New +2 +4 DuraBlue Axle and Black Rad-Loc axle nut.

hornetgod13
01-18-2008, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by klutch
Can't wait to see the pics when its completely done you have one of the nicest 400exs on the site it will look even better all extended and stuff.

Thanks! I can't wait to get it all back together too. I'm doing a lot to the motor and suspension and can't wait to feel how it runs and handles. I forgot to mention earlier that I ordered a Gibson steering stabilizor too.
Once it back together, I think I'll make another attempt at the QOTM contest.

mat1977
01-19-2008, 06:55 AM
Looks great man,You got my vote.

08400EX
01-19-2008, 07:13 AM
^^ x2!!

BTW, I am curious, do your a-arm skid plates fit the Hydro arms. I have wondered about that a few times when considering extended a-arms.

97WarriorRider
01-19-2008, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by mat1977
Looks great man,You got my vote.

X2...I love the looks of those shocks

trx400EXtreme
01-19-2008, 07:46 AM
VERY nice. still one of the best lookin' 400's on here.:cool:

Honda#4
01-19-2008, 10:26 AM
Looks really good, pics make everything look small, what you did boosted your quad 110% in looks and performance.

Definently shoot for 400ex QOTM, you'll get alot more votes than before trust me, I'll be in it as well just to see if I can get a few more votes than last time but I know I wont win but anything is possible i guess.

hornetgod13
01-19-2008, 11:55 AM
I am curious, do your a-arm skid plates fit the Hydro arms. I have wondered about that a few times when considering extended a-arms.

No, the a-arm skid plates do not fit. I sold them. I still have the body and swingarm skids installed.

Here's another picture from another angle. It's 4 inches wider in the front and rear. I can't wait to ride it.

hornetgod13
01-19-2008, 12:00 PM
The new "Tinner" Scoops are being made today and being shipped to Pappy Monday for gloss black powder coating.

The Gibson steering stabilizor should be bolted on by Wednesday or Thursday.

The 416cc Hi comp piston will be here Tuesday so I can get the cylinder bored and honed. I should have it all back together no later than the end of next weekend.

Honda#4
01-19-2008, 02:22 PM
Wow the improvement continues.

Did you get the rebuildable kind or regular kind of stabilizer?

hornetgod13
01-19-2008, 02:46 PM
Did you get the rebuildable kind or regular kind of stabilizer?

Rebuildable. I can rebuild it pretty easy for less than $20.00 if I need to.

hornetgod13
01-19-2008, 02:49 PM
Things I'm waiting on to get it put back together.
1.) Wiseco 87mm (416cc) 11:1 Hi-Compression Piston Kit (Ordered)
2.) Bore Cylinder (once piston arrives)
3.) Install XR400 Head Gasket (thinner than stock)
4.) Hotcams Stage 1 Cam Shaft

Stuff completed while quad was torn down
1.) CRF450 Cam Chain
2.) EBC DRC HD Clutch Kit
3.) iShocks i5500 Front Suspension Kit
4.) Rebuilt, Tuned, and Resprung Stock Rear Shock (iShocks)
5.) Steel Braided Rear Brake Line to Match Front Brakes
6.) Durablue +2 +4 Eliminator Axle
7.) Anodized Black Rad-Loc Axle Nut
8.) All Balls Rear Axle Bears and Seals
9.) Gibson 7 Way adjustable Steering Stabilizor
10.) Black Powder Coated Tinner Scoops
11.) New Viton Valve Seals
12.) Rejetted: 42K Pilot, 165K Main, and Needle Clip 4th Slot Down

Total spent this time $3,287

Total spent including initial quad cost $11,848

Honda#4
01-19-2008, 03:11 PM
WOW!! your getting up there, I only got alittle over 5K invested in mine plus the cost of the quad and i'm nowhere nere your range but I buy everything used cuz my crap cost to much to buy new otherwise i'd have 5K in suspension alone. I guess thats the diff between used and new. But theres alot more I plan on doing.

hornetgod13
01-31-2008, 12:29 AM
The weather is looking promising for this weekend. I got the quad all back together. I finally got the new clutch adjusted. I'm ready to go break in and test out all the goodies I installed. The only thing I'm waiting on is for Pappy to finish powder coating my Tinner Scoops.

hornetgod13
01-31-2008, 12:30 AM
Another view....

my88r
01-31-2008, 12:35 AM
that looks nice. i was reading your mod lists on thumber talk you got alot on that thing:chinese:

hornetgod13
01-31-2008, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by my88r
that looks nice. i was reading your mod lists on thumber talk you got alot on that thing:chinese:

Thanks! :macho

I'm impressed! You found me over there huh? You're the first person on this website to mention that.

my88r
01-31-2008, 12:42 AM
Thanks! :macho

I'm impressed! You found me over there huh? You're the first person on this website to mention that.

yep, in the honda atv. i go on there for the dirt bike info. alot of good people their just like here.:cool:

hornetgod13
01-31-2008, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by my88r
yep, in the honda atv. i go on there for the dirt bike info. alot of good people their just like here.:cool:

I go to that website for bike stuff as well. My Son rides a CRF120F and there's a lot of good tips, information, and knowledge there but, this website is the best when it comes to ATV info.

hornetgod13
02-03-2008, 01:28 AM
The weather finally cooperated long enough to allow me to take my quad out to a local track and give the new suspension a complete run through.

I took it over some small to medium jumps and it soaked them right up. I landed like a butterfly with sore feet. The shocks were set up for my weight and trail/dune riding style but handle the beginner track rather well. Additionally, the brakes are flawless and are quick to respond to inputs.

iShocks i5500 Performance Suspension Kit is well worth the cost of $1,850. Lifetime Warranty on all Parts and Free Shock Tuning are an added bonus.

bearair
04-21-2008, 07:12 PM
Just as an FYI to an old Ishocks thread, found the whole kit at Powersport for $1523. Here's a link.

http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/Suspension-s/1901.htm

hornetgod13
04-21-2008, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by bearair
Just as an FYI to an old Ishocks thread, found the whole kit at Powersport for $1523. Here's a link.

http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/Suspension-s/1901.htm

That's a great price! The iShocks suspension kit is worth every penny.

RATPACK Z400
04-22-2008, 11:52 AM
why wouldn,t you buy a proven suspention kit like janssen,gibson,lonestar,etc then put almost the same money into something thats not proven its self yet! I see janssens outlaw longtravel kit for 1800 with fox floats,What Im trying to say is look around more for better deal than Ishock plus i read Ishock is for rec only use on some of there kits not intended for MX need to look back on ad to see which one it was.

hornetgod13
04-22-2008, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by RATPACK Z400
why wouldn,t you buy a proven suspention kit like janssen,gibson,lonestar,etc then put almost the same money into something thats not proven its self yet! I see janssens outlaw longtravel kit for 1800 with fox floats,What Im trying to say is look around more for better deal than Ishock plus i read Ishock is for rec only use on some of there kits not intended for MX need to look back on ad to see which one it was.

I'm happy with what I got. I did my research. I read several positive reviews and their products are backed with a lifetime guarantee. They will retune the shocks if needed and all you pay for is the shipping. iShocks makes both performance and race suspension kits.