PDA

View Full Version : rust problem

tman12345
01-12-2008, 12:31 PM
well i'm 16 and this is my first vehicle, it was my dads then my brothers and now mine,it's a 1995 4runner and has started to rust in places (doors, tailgate, side panels, you name it it's probably got rust on it.) well is there anything i can do to stop it and or prevent more rust. i live in Massachusetts so it's very wet sometimes. help me defeat the rust, if its possible.

tman12345
01-12-2008, 12:33 PM
heres a picture

416exfreak
01-12-2008, 12:35 PM
Ask them to stop putting salt on the ice...

That would help alot.

And also, sand the rust out and paint over it with some good paint. Thats about all I can tell you.:ermm:

tman12345
01-12-2008, 12:39 PM
thats another problem i can't find a paint that matches, i used one on it that after some research appeared to be correct, but when i used it, it looked like i just put a buncha white out on it, anyone know the right one?

416exfreak
01-12-2008, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by tman12345
thats another problem i can't find a paint that matches, i used one on it that after some research appeared to be correct, but when i used it, it looked like i just put a buncha white out on it, anyone know the right one?

Youd have to look up the Nissan or Toyota (whatever make your vehicle is) color codes and find the one that matches your ride.

nickmelll
01-12-2008, 06:05 PM
your best bet would be to sand it off and paint it ....... DO NOT get the primer from advanced auto in the sray paint canss it sucks.... u may want to go to a body shop and ask them if they can match the paint to get it close

fatkid400
01-12-2008, 06:16 PM
There is stuff on the market that works really good at stopping rust. My dad rebuilt his old cj-6 jeep about 10 years ago.I think the stuff was called carolas (sp).All we did was grind or sand the rusted spots until we removed all the old paint and surface rust ( youll never get the pitted rust off/out with out a sawsall).Anyway this stuff goes on like a primer/bondo.Brush it on and sand it down befor it cures completly,once it cures/hardens its as tuff as steal.wont rust and stops the pitted rust.like i said its been 10 years since my dad redone his jeep it hasnt rusted were we put this stuff anyway:D