PDA

View Full Version : high temp paint

400sEXridr
01-12-2008, 12:23 PM
where can i find high temperature paint to paint my headers and parts on my engine

01-12-2008, 12:33 PM
Advanced Auto Parts, NAPA, Home Depot, Lowes

drew416ex
01-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Dont waste your money on high temp paint on your header. It wil burn off in a heart beat. It will hold up on the engine, but not the header. The only coating that will somewhat hold up is ceramic coating.

oleboy87
01-12-2008, 04:11 PM
yea i wouldnt do the header but do a search on polishing the header... that would be wayyy better than painting it to me... and it looks really gooddd but you can get the hitemp paint jsut about any auto parts store

nevadanotch
01-12-2008, 09:02 PM
Contrary... I work for a paint company and I know that high heat paint will work great . You just need toi prep the header properly and the follow the directions for curring the paint.

01-12-2008, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by nevadanotch
Contrary... I work for a paint company and I know that high heat paint will work great . You just need toi prep the header properly and the follow the directions for curring the paint.

yeap, its all about the prep and curing of the paint that determines the quality.

drew416ex
01-13-2008, 02:55 PM
Ok lets get this strait. If the header gets oh say 1200 degrees, and the paint is rated at 800 degrees, how the heck to you expect it not to burn off. I know it did on mine and my jetting was correct. Prep has nothing to do with someting getting too hot and burning off.

01-13-2008, 05:05 PM
You dont even need heat paint for the motor normal paint will work fine.
I painted my header 1500 temp paint and it didnt bubble but it started smoking and turned to pouder for the first couple inches. That was just after start up too.

As for polishing, I think polished looks way better than black but I dont know how to keep the header polished because once it heats up it turns back to brown.

nevadanotch
01-13-2008, 11:57 PM
Follow the directions for the specific product you are using. These types of paints have a unique type of resin base that are curred by heat. If you do not cure the paint properly such as heating it to about 400 to 600 degrees and then letting it set and cure it will indeed burn off and turn to powder! Cured properly the paint will last for years. As far as the paint you are using that is only rated to 800 degrees, this is generally an engine only type paint. To get a paint that will work, you will have to get a paint specifically for headers. Paint for BBQ's or "engine paint" won't hold up. Use header paint only.

I have the headers on my 64 VW Notchback coated with the product my company makes and they look as good as the day I sprayed them. They were sprayed over 3 years ago!

wilkin250r
01-15-2008, 01:32 AM
You're talking two different environments. You are trying to lump a hot summer day, and a furnace, into the same category of "hot". When speaking in terms of "high temp", there is a world of difference between 800 degrees and 1200 degrees.

You'll probably need two different products, one for the engine, and one for the exhaust. The "engine paint" is high-temp, but not high enough for your headpipe. It will burn off. For the exhaust, you will need a dedicated exhaust paint, which WILL work if cured properly (as nevadanotch has explained).

However, the exhaust paint will not work on the engine, because it doesn't get hot enough to cure. You need a dedicated engine paint that cures at a lower temperature.