PDA

View Full Version : YFZ noise after rebuild

Bomb_Squad1
01-12-2008, 11:34 AM
Hello, I just change the piston in my 2004 yfz from a 13:1 JE to a 12:1 Wiseco. I did the installation following the Shop manuel. After everything was done I start it. It start prety well and every was normal. After 1 minute, I just gave a little of throttle and it start to make a knocking sound. I check my valve clearence back and everything was good. My timing chain tensioner is working well. There are no loose bolts or skid plate loose that could make that sound. The knocking sould is following my motor revolution. Do you have any ideo of what can make that sound. I have porting hotcams hot rod crank and a 96mm bore. Thanks a lot!

Bomb_Squad1
01-15-2008, 02:06 PM
Anybody.....? please i need your opinion!!!

cbrooks118
01-15-2008, 02:13 PM
timing spot on??? sound like it may be one tooth off and hitting the valve???You would be able to notice that casue it wouldnt run very well....Other than that i cant imagine anthing else knocking....Did you lube the piston lightly with some oil to help the rings set? Did you moly lube the cams because it takes a few seconds to pump oil up there.. Only things i can think of

Bomb_Squad1
01-26-2008, 02:24 PM
I check my timing and everything is fine....I adjust my valve with the shop manual spec and I have hotcams...Are the valve clearence spec the same with stock and hotcams camshaft?? My yfz start well and run normaly without backfire. I don't know were this ting ting sound come from it is fallowing the revolution of the motor.

dr.dyfz
01-26-2008, 05:20 PM
check ur oil pump if your crank isnt getting enough noise it makes a knocking niose. and not cheap

Ride1Rob
01-26-2008, 06:32 PM
Is there anyway that you can record it and post it up so that we can hear the sound? Is it a knock,ting, or rattle?

Dr89
01-28-2008, 08:57 PM
is this the first time you've ever heard your yfz run? like did you buy one that needed rebuilt and just started it up for the first time...or have you had it for a while and it ran before you rebuilt it?

because when i first bought my yfz i thought it sounded like it had a very slight knocking sound...i ended up getting some engine work done to it anyways and when i got it back it had the exact same very slight knocking...my friend has a totally stock motored, never taken apart 04 yfz that sounds exactly the same. another of my buddies has a yfz straight from the dealership that i can also pick up this slight sound with so....i dunno if its the same as yours i just remember when i was first introduced to yfz's i thought i heard a problem and it turns out that was just the way they are.

Bomb_Squad1
01-30-2008, 02:15 PM
No it's not the first time I heard it run. It as a sound it has'nt before. I will record it and show you. Do you guys know a website were I can host the sound file of my yfz??

For the oil pump...how can I know if my crank as oil..how can I test my pump??

Thanks

Ride1Rob
01-30-2008, 05:47 PM
You can video it and upload the whole video with sound on Youtube or something.

As far as the oilpump goes, you can unscrew the aluminum oil passage that goes from the right side bottom crankcase up to your head. Just unscrew the bottom bolt and bump the motor over. Oil should squirt up out the rightside crank case.

SRH
03-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Bomb_Squad1
No it's not the first time I heard it run. It as a sound it has'nt before. I will record it and show you. Do you guys know a website were I can host the sound file of my yfz??

For the oil pump...how can I know if my crank as oil..how can I test my pump??

Thanks

your lower timing chain guide is out of the notch in the lower case and the counterbalancer is scuffing it, pull your fly wheel and stator and take a peak

Ride1Rob
03-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by SRH
your lower timing chain guide is out of the notch in the lower case and the counterbalancer is scuffing it, pull your fly wheel and stator and take a peak

Dude, this thread is a month and a half old. I'm more than sure he's found the problem by now or blown the motor up again...

SRH
03-11-2008, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Ride1Rob
Dude, this thread is a month and a half old. I'm more than sure he's found the problem by now or blown the motor up again...

"dude" there are thousands of people who browse this board that could possibly make the same mistake and spend hundreds replacing unneeded parts trying to figure out what they did wrong, so "dude" when i was browsing through i answered his problem because" dude" its useful information

so braaaaa why would you waste time posting your garbage in this thread:rolleyes:

Ride1Rob
03-11-2008, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by SRH
"dude" there are thousands of people who browse this board that could possibly make the same mistake and spend hundreds replacing unneeded parts trying to figure out what they did wrong, so "dude" when i was browsing through i answered his problem because" dude" its useful information

so braaaaa why would you waste time posting your garbage in this thread:rolleyes:

Uhh ohh! I'm sorry if I sent you out on a temper tantrem. If this problem was a common one I'm pretty sure there would be posts on it. This is the first I've heard of the timing chain guide rubbing the counterbalancer :confused: . Maybe you're just dorky enough to have this problem happen to you :ermm: . From the angle that the guide sits in there the only way that it could happen is if someone PLACED it in there the wrong way. Even if it broke the piece would fall down onto the crankshaft not onto the counterbalancer. This is a motor that I just rebuilt. In red you can see how the chain guide sits in there. It can happen, but someone had to place it in there backwards...
http://img8.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/1434/14344904f69a7f44fd14464df7665bffd57219d.jpg (http://www.uploadhouse.com/viewfile.php?id=1434490&showlnk=0)

SRH
03-12-2008, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Ride1Rob
Uhh ohh! I'm sorry if I sent you out on a temper tantrem. If this problem was a common one I'm pretty sure there would be posts on it. This is the first I've heard of the timing chain guide rubbing the counterbalancer :confused: . Maybe you're just dorky enough to have this problem happen to you :ermm: . From the angle that the guide sits in there the only way that it could happen is if someone PLACED it in there the wrong way. Even if it broke the piece would fall down onto the crankshaft not onto the counterbalancer. This is a motor that I just rebuilt. In red you can see how the chain guide sits in there. It can happen, but someone had to place it in there backwards...
http://img8.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/1434/14344904f69a7f44fd14464df7665bffd57219d.jpg (http://www.uploadhouse.com/viewfile.php?id=1434490&showlnk=0)

no **** sherlock, ive never had it happen to me but that can cause the problem your describing

since he had just removed the TOP END and it was not his timing the next most plausible thing to look at is human error, and since the knock is in tune with the rpms, and there were no oil pump probs or anything else prior, and this guide was more than likely tampered with and is very close to the counterbalancer it is more than likely he made this mistake

what it comes down to your post was uneeded and served no purpose whatsoever

squadie
03-12-2008, 06:08 PM
SRH, your post was a good idea. Last summer I bought a used YFZ motor that the seller said ran fine before I bought it but knocked when I put it in my YFZ. I sent it back to the seller who has rebuilt plenty of YFZ motors. The only thing he found was that the timing chain guide was out of position. I was afraid it was a crank bearing problem when I first heard it.

On my original motor I knocked the guide out of position when I did the cam mod, and it turned out to be an expensive repair several months later. I didn't have knocking, but did get metal shavings and the timing chain eventually got real stiff from running slightly out of line. One day when riding the timing chain slipped a few spots and I bent a couple valves.

Your post just might help somebody some day.

Ride1Rob
03-12-2008, 06:38 PM
I never stated that the timing chain couldn't go in wrong, seated incorrectly, piece falls off... But for it to rub the counter balancer from the angle that it sits is VERY unlikely. Show me threads on the internet where it's a common problem. I have never heard of one until he posted what he says it is! Not to say that it can't happen. But it's not something that's likely to happen. I'm not saying that his post may not have helped the original poster or anyone else for that matter. I'm saying it's over a month old and the problem more than likely has been found. If what he says is a common problem then show me where there are YFZ owners posting about this problem ;) .

SRH
03-13-2008, 08:16 PM
ive seen it happen to a few guys, one guy even took his to 2 shops and they couldnt find the problem, he replaced the crank, crank bearings, oil pump, so finally he said im going to replace the counter balancer, bingo there it was hitting it

Ride1Rob
03-14-2008, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by SRH
ive seen it happen to a few guys, one guy even took his to 2 shops and they couldnt find the problem, he replaced the crank, crank bearings, oil pump, so finally he said im going to replace the counter balancer, bingo there it was hitting it

Your story doesn't seem right :confused: . You said that your friend couldn't find what it was and he replaced the crank and bearings which means EVERYTHING has to come off the motor. If the counterbalancer rubbing against the tensioner was an issue, he would probably have found that after taking the top half of the motor off. He surely would have seen it sitting in there sideways and would have found the problem then. There wouldn't have been a need to go into the bottom of the motor :ermm: .

You've seen it happen to a few guys as well as you? I'm willing to bet that you all have the same guy working on your bikes (lol). I think you need a another mechanic :( .

SRH
03-15-2008, 02:34 PM
i dotn quite get why your being such a prick to guy who posted some useful info for a fellow rider, im sorry it hurt your feelings that someone else tried to answer his question

and i have never made this mistake, unfortunately he did not notice this when he had it all apart and replaced everything

Ride1Rob
03-16-2008, 07:28 AM
Nahhh, it's nothing like that! We're all here to help each other. You posted what you felt like that problem was and based on my experiences with these motors I disagreed. If you feel like that's being a prick then that's your issue. We all have a right to disagree with one another and all have different opinions. What I was trying to say to you in the beginning was that he had his problem a month and a half ago and more than likely had already found the problem. It's cool though! Like I said, we're all here to help each other ;) .