PDA

View Full Version : Engine case gap

riding4fun
01-12-2008, 06:29 AM
I was looking at my new cases to see how they match up. I put them together and noticed some gaps. Not huge ones but none the less gaps. I am wondering, when the case bolts are tightened down will it pull them together in the gap areas.

Is that what the sealant is for.

Should I take the cases to a machine shop and have them made to fit perfectly flush.

This is my first engine build.

drr5
01-12-2008, 12:43 PM
use some case sealent , there are many diferent types the easiest to get ahold of is yamabond but they will pull down tight, do some reserch youll find numerous sealents that will work for you

etondaddy
01-12-2008, 01:50 PM
I use this Teflon sealant only because I was a Chevrolet mechanic and still have a lot of it. It’s white in color and oily and when you split the cases you can still smell it. They say yamabond is very good but I’m not sure if you can still get it. I’ve used this stuff on Kyle’s cases for two years with out a problem if you need a tube I can send you one. You don’t use that much a tube will last you a long time.

Mike Kozura

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/etondaddy/100_0423.jpg

mxdad423
01-12-2008, 09:49 PM
Yea the Yamabond is about the best but almost impossible to get ahold of anymore, something about the shipping was to much for it because it was considered Haz-Mat to ship, what a bummer....The stuff Etondaddy has works or you can use a RTV silicone, just be careful and try to keep as much out of the inside of the cases as possible.....

Kevin Smitley

www..net

riding4fun
01-12-2008, 11:44 PM
Thanks all. From what I've read Yamabond has been replaced with Three Bond either 1104 or 1194 don't know what is the difference. Both say for case sealant.

tireman43
01-14-2008, 08:28 AM
I use the threebond 1104. It is the same as yamabond which is still available but the part # has been changed so dealers are having trouble finding it and getting it.