PDA

View Full Version : Lifan 140

Jaybird
01-11-2008, 10:53 PM
Got the 140 running in the Typhoon today. This thing RIPS!! My son is still grinning. He has some new stuff to learn with the manual clutch but he is picking it up prettty good.
It has a bog on the bottom end if you stab the throttle. Which direction do I go to fix this?
Thanks!
Brian

QBS
01-12-2008, 05:56 AM
most likely cause jetting issue easiest remedy stick it on a dyno and set carb up

Big Red Menace
01-12-2008, 12:27 PM
You may need to put in a larger pilot jet to get rid of a cough just off idle. If that makes it too rich at idle then try raising the needle (lower the clip).

Hope this helps

CEOR
01-12-2008, 12:53 PM
We're running same motor. 17 pilot, 102.5 main, one groove up from center on needle. Uni two stage foam filter. FMF pipe.

Hope this helps.

Jaybird
01-12-2008, 01:03 PM
What carb is on yours? The one I have is supposed to be a copy of a Mikuni 26. I went to the Yamaha dealer today looking for jets. The one in our carb is hex head like a Kehin but not as long and has smaller diameter threads. A Mikuni slotted head jet has the same threads but is too short. We found some that were hex head and the same length but the threads were not the same. I got a pilot jet for a Mikuni 26 and it isn't even close. Ended up drilling the main out to .046 and it seems about right, just still needs work on the pilot.
Brian

CEOR
01-12-2008, 01:25 PM
The 26mm carb that came with our motor takes the large round slotted head (.315")main jets with small (.195") threads.

The pilots are the ones you have to be careful with.....the thread can be overtightened and will crush the emulsion tube. Bad news. Had to learn that one the hard way.

Pilot jets= (.212") round slotted head with (.170") threads.

I believe that they are mikuni jets. I could be wrong.

Jaybird
01-12-2008, 01:32 PM
Will a Mikuni 26 from a blaster work? There are some on E-Bay. then I know I can get the right jets.

Jaybird
01-12-2008, 01:34 PM
The main jets you are describing looks like the ones in the mikuni 22 that came stock on the Typhoon.
Brian

CEOR
01-12-2008, 03:09 PM
Grabbed the wrong box of jets.
Just took the carb off the bike to look first hand......we are running a 26mm mikuni round slide.
Jets measure as such:

main jet-round slotted (.236") dia. @ head x (.350") overall length x (.196") thread diameter.

pilot jet- round slotted (.195") dia. @ head x (1.100") overall length x (.154") thread diameter.

Hope this helps.

Jaybird
01-12-2008, 03:45 PM
Hey thanks for looking. I will pull the carb off tomorrow and measure those jets. I'll see if I can post some pictures of them and see if they are the same ones you have.
Brian

OFFROADCYCLE
02-04-2008, 11:06 AM
the pilot is the same as the banshee oem you can get them from western power sports p# 144-2325 for a 25 pilot change the last 2 # for the size you want if you want a 27.5 the last #'s would be 27 5 or 144-2327 5 they range from 17-42.5 the mains get the oko 26mm carb main jets

I'm doing the same mod for a customer now should be fun!!!

mike
offroadcycle:devil:

Jaybird
02-04-2008, 11:33 AM
I got some jets from CPW. The pilots worked but the mains didn't. I ended up with a 25 pilot and just drilled the stock main until I got some color on the plug. I had to tweak a little on the a/f screw and got it pretty close but still has a slight hesitation if you stab it from idle. Tells me I should go uo to a little bigger pilot.
It is a great little motor for the Typhoon, my son loves it. Too bad the bike falls apart around it. Broke a heim joint and a front shock eye off yesterday.
Brian

OFFROADCYCLE
02-06-2008, 03:33 PM
there is a thread about a race build up on this rum they did some suspension mods that should take care of that problem.

take a stock jap unit and make the engine run and you have to do the suspension on them also

performance means maintenance :D

mike:devil:

Jaybird
02-07-2008, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by OFFROADCYCLE

performance means maintenance :D

mike:devil:

Very true, but my Honda 450r and my wifes Raptor 660 don't break on every ride.
Brian

rpowell
02-07-2008, 03:39 PM
Hey Jaybird, coming into this thread a little late, but referencing you last comment, is your Typhoon really breaking everytime its riden? I had 1 issue with a 2007 125, but was sent a 2008 replacement motor and the customer says the thing is soild. I am a new Xtreme dealer and like to know what problems people are having so I know how to fix them and educate the customer.
Not a stab at you, just like having info.
Thanks

rpowell
02-07-2008, 03:40 PM
oops I meant "solid" not "soild":D

Jaybird
02-07-2008, 04:26 PM
Not when just riding around the yard, but on an all day ride you can bet on something breaking or wearing out. I put up with it because there is nothing else out there for the money that compares. Granted, my son is riding the piss out of this thing. I kind of figure that sooner or later everything will be replaced or upgraded and he should be good to go.
Brian

rpowell
02-08-2008, 11:09 AM
Can you give me examples of what tends to breaks easily, in your opininion, so I can watch for it? How do you think they hold up for non-racing average riders that don't beat it up too much?
Thanks

Jaybird
02-08-2008, 02:50 PM
Ok, I'll list it one more time.
1. Steering stem joint got real loose. Welded it up.
2. Clutch started slipping. Replaced with Honda fibers and Extreme CR3 springs., about 50 bucks.
3. Front fender brace broke, welded it up.
4. Sprocket on the starter broke, destroying the starter chain and the stator. Robbed parts from an old SunL 125 junker.
5. Broke the crank. Replaced with a Lifan 140. about 500 bucks when all said and done.
6. Rear fender brace broke off of the subframe. Welded up and gusseted.
7. Nets in the nerfs broke. Local shoe shop made some new ones, about 20 bucks.
8. Rear shock leaking, replaced with a Fastace pitbike shock, about 90 bucks.
9. Axle bearings, replaced with "upgraded" bearings from Xtreme, 70 bucks.
10. Upper ball joints have slack in them, looking for a better replacement.
11. Broke heim joint on a-arm, 9 bucks a peice from Mcmaster Carr. I'm replacing all 8 for safety. Say 75 bucks.
12. Shock eye broke off on the left front and right shock blew an o-ring, replacing with Fastace pitbike shocks from e-bay, 205 bucks.
13. Swingarm bushings gone, looking into a better replacement.

That's around 1000 bucks and some things on the list still need work.
Brian

Ride1Rob
02-09-2008, 05:54 AM
WOW :huh !!! How big is your son and what's his age? Seems like everything possible that could go wrong on that bike is.

Jaybird
02-09-2008, 06:28 AM
He's 8 and weighs about 65 lbs soaking wet. He doesn't cut it any slack.
Brian

rpowell
02-09-2008, 09:22 AM
Do you think maybe your son is a little rougher on the unit than the average kid? That really does seem like allot of stuff to break. Does he race it ,jump it allot or ride on extremely rough terrain?
Thanks

guy310
02-15-2008, 10:34 AM
I just got our Lifan tuned in you're right it does rip. I had to install 18X9.5X8 turftamers on aluminum beadlocks to get it to calm down. I am going to get a couple of other gearing options this week so I can put her stock tires back on. Hopefully if the temp goes above freezing here tomorrow, we will see how quickly manual clutch can be learned by an 11-year old.

Jaybird
02-15-2008, 02:20 PM
I'm sure he will pick it up pretty quick. The motor is real torqey and hard to stall in first. With the stock tires and a 15t sprocket Nolan can just dump the clutch in first at idle and it just chugs away. I have a 16t sprocket coming so I'm looking forward to seing it run with that.
Brian

double d 1
02-29-2008, 04:24 PM
for what its worth i talked to a guy from SGR pit bikes and he said the lifan 140 does not come with a 26mm carb from the factory. its a 22mm. they have it for $325.00 plus $5.00 shipping. if someone is claiming a 26mm this being done by the seller.

hanzito
02-29-2008, 07:26 PM
my son has jsut started ridding his typhoon with a gpx 125 with a 146 big bore kit. and 11/41 gearing. he has xr50 aluminum sprockets front and rear now. the first time i let him ride it was in front of the house. he also has a quarter turn twist throttle on it now. the first time out he poped the clutch and stalled it not giving it enough fuel. the second attempt eh gave it about half throttle and poped the clutch again. the little mini picked the front end up off the ground about tire hi and took off. the look on my sons face through his helmut was priceless. when he turned around and came back his comment was even funnier. he said taht dad this is the motor it should have come with to begin. now i am gointo tear at flat track. needless to say i have a very happy little boy and a motor less pitbike.

Jaybird
02-29-2008, 09:41 PM
My Lifan came with a 26mm carb from T-Bolt but it's a knock off, not a real Mikuni. Hard to find jets for.

double d 1
03-01-2008, 12:37 PM
ive heard alot of good things about the guy at tbolt. not sure but i think the copies are running oko main jets. not sure on the pilot. calll him im sure he can help.

Jaybird
03-02-2008, 07:33 AM
Yea Vince is top notch. Great to deal with. I had an issue with the distributor not shipping all the parts and he stayed on them and kept me up to date with phone calls and e-mails. Hooked me up with a source for jets too.
Brian

guy310
03-02-2008, 01:15 PM
AHP Minis is pretty good. They have a lot of products in stock and Mark's porting is awesome. Ours rips. I had to put Turf Tamers on beadlocks on the back of our typhoon to make it manageable. I can't wait ti get the gearing right, it is going to get awesome holeshots. I was very impressed.