PDA

View Full Version : Which frame skid?

Grahxen
01-11-2008, 09:28 PM
Hey guys, I just picked up a new 07 400ex few weeks ago. I ordered an Armadillo Swingarm Guard based on some of the reviews on rocky mountain and here. I am now looking for a frame/engine guard. It doesnt seem that the Armadillo frame guard is that good, i keep hearing the bolts come loose etc. What I am looking at now is the Pro Armor Frame Armor - Allows Nerf Bars from rocky mountain. This seems to be a solid product? Also since I am new at this, I want to make sure this skid is an engine/frame only skid and wont interfere with the Armadiloo Swingarm guard only because It seems that they sell full chassis guards that protect both the swing arm, and frame. Correct me if I am wrong. I also ordered that Lexx exhaust and UNI air filter. Hopefullly I made the right decision.

Let me know! thanks!

Oh Also, I want to open the air box up and get a jet kit. Can someone steer me in the right direction as to what kit i should buy, I see K&N, Dynojet kits etc on ebay at some nice prices. I also have a hard time starting the quad when its cold, and it seems that people change the pilot jet to a #40. Do these kits come with pilot jets to or just main jets?

Thanks Again

01-11-2008, 09:34 PM
PRM makes some awesome skid plate stuff

hornetgod13
01-11-2008, 10:16 PM
I'm a Cobra USA fan myself. There stuff is a little more expensive than most others but, the quality, looks, and fit can not be beat!

Grahxen
01-11-2008, 10:29 PM
Nice quad. Since I already bought the Armadillo Swingarm Guard, im just looking for the frame guard, and probably a-arm in future. Ill have to check the cobra ones out however i do like the look of the pro armor ones i have seen on RMATV. Also, will the K&N jetkit, or the dyno jet kit have everything i need to rejet the carb?

j450rking
01-11-2008, 11:57 PM
i have skids from mmf. it's a small company that sells off ebay but they make vary strong stuff that fits good and is cheap (tell him j450rking sent you)

i get all my jets from jetsrus.com it's the best place to get jets there is. get a kit for the ex and then get the pilot on the side if the kit dosn't come with it. oh and there isn't any skid plate that covers the entire bottom of the atv there is just kits that come with the swing arm skids too

08400EX
01-12-2008, 06:29 AM
There are a lot of good ones out there, but you can't go wrong with Pro Armor.

I got all of their armor from Rocky Mountain (love the free shipping) and the fit and function is great.

I ride in a lot of rocky areas and I have already beat the crap out of mine and they take it all no problem.

hornetgod13
01-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Hey 08400EX,
You're really going to hate that body skid the first time you go to change the oil and pull the crankcase bolt. All that oil is going to dump on the inside of your skidplate and it's a pain to clean up. I seriously doubt you want to clean it or pull it off every time you change the oil. I had a similar problem with my Cobra USA skid until I drilled an 1" hole in the skid plate right below the crankcase bolt to allow for drainage. It's much cleaner now. Here's a picture of the finished product.

01-12-2008, 10:38 AM
My PRM skid plate had all the holes already in it theres never a problem

250x_kyle
01-12-2008, 10:58 AM
ive heard nothign but good about prm and pro armor. i personaly am going to make my own because its cheaper.

sickmojave
01-12-2008, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
My PRM skid plate had all the holes already in it theres never a problem

I had a hard time installing arens nerfs with the prm skids . but it can be done..;)

Grahxen
01-12-2008, 05:51 PM
I also will be puchasing a jet kit from jetsrus.com. The only mods I will have on the engine so far are the Lexx SLip on Muffler with race tip, UNI air filter. I am still debating about opening up the airbox, but with the way i ride here in NJ i am not sure thats a good idea. Can someone give me a ballpark starting range as far as jetting for a slip on, and uni filter. Stock is a #148 main, i was thinking about stepping it up to a #152 main, and #40 pilot. I f i do decide to open the airbox, i would start with the #155 main. I know there isnt any set in stone # when it comes to jetting, but a rough median would be nice for me to start with. Someone even told me that a slip on with a uni filter i should go right to a #155 and skip the #152 but I would like some more input if anyone can help me.

This is what I am going to order from jetsrus.

Honda TRX400EX & 400EX jet kit $29.98

The jet kit comes with all the following brand new parts: Main jets: 152, 155, 158, 160, 162, 165, 170, 175, 180 and 4 stainless steel allen head bolts for the carb bowl. Instructions on jetting included.

And the extra #40 pilot.

sickmojave
01-12-2008, 05:58 PM
with my mods and 4-1inch holes in air lid.. I run #155 with #40 pilot. but I need to go up to a #42 pilot..

Grahxen
01-12-2008, 10:02 PM
Ill try stepping it up to a 152 main for starting then. As i dont think i am going to run an open air box.

01-12-2008, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Grahxen
I also will be puchasing a jet kit from jetsrus.com. The only mods I will have on the engine so far are the Lexx SLip on Muffler with race tip, UNI air filter. I am still debating about opening up the airbox, but with the way i ride here in NJ i am not sure thats a good idea. Can someone give me a ballpark starting range as far as jetting for a slip on, and uni filter. Stock is a #148 main, i was thinking about stepping it up to a #152 main, and #40 pilot. I f i do decide to open the airbox, i would start with the #155 main. I know there isnt any set in stone # when it comes to jetting, but a rough median would be nice for me to start with. Someone even told me that a slip on with a uni filter i should go right to a #155 and skip the #152 but I would like some more input if anyone can help me.

This is what I am going to order from jetsrus.

Honda TRX400EX & 400EX jet kit $29.98

The jet kit comes with all the following brand new parts: Main jets: 152, 155, 158, 160, 162, 165, 170, 175, 180 and 4 stainless steel allen head bolts for the carb bowl. Instructions on jetting included.

And the extra #40 pilot.

I am going with jetsRus to buy jets real soon but I dont need the steel screws because I went to Lowes and picked up some hex head bolts that fit perfectly.

Grahxen
01-12-2008, 10:17 PM
It comes with the kit, so doesnt really bother me.

01-12-2008, 10:19 PM
they charge like $3.50 for 4 bolts so i said forget it and order it all separate and save that $3.50. 4 small screws bolts w/e are not worth $3

j450rking
01-12-2008, 11:18 PM
i like the alen screws. i had some hex ones on there but i couldn't get to them right on my 450r carb

fastredrider44
01-13-2008, 07:09 AM
As far as the jets, Start with a 155 main. I have a slip-on and run a 155 main and 38 pilot.

As far as Skid plate. I have a DG Baja series on mine. It 3/16 Aluminum. I can bet that its the stoutest belly skid on this site.

97WarriorRider
01-13-2008, 12:49 PM
^ i dont know about that..I personally think that most DG products arent even worth looking at..I got my PRM .190 skid and I have the smaller PRM skid on my old warrior and its been on there for 11 years with no problems at all..so im pretty sure there is no way in hell im gunna bend this one

08400EX
01-13-2008, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
Hey 08400EX,
You're really going to hate that body skid the first time you go to change the oil and pull the crankcase bolt. All that oil is going to dump on the inside of your skidplate and it's a pain to clean up. I seriously doubt you want to clean it or pull it off every time you change the oil. I had a similar problem with my Cobra USA skid until I drilled an 1" hole in the skid plate right below the crankcase bolt to allow for drainage. It's much cleaner now. Here's a picture of the finished product.

Thanks for the head up, but I always pull my skids when changing the oil. It gives me a chance to clean everything on the underside real good and as you know it is no biggie to RnR them.

TURBO-530R
01-13-2008, 01:35 PM
I have a used full set of prm skids for a 400ex i will sell for 150 plus shipping if anyone wants them Pm me Jim

01-13-2008, 04:11 PM
i have prm on my 450r, only because the armadillo did not make the oil drain access hole changes for the the 06 model when i needed a skid...i have the ricochet on my 400ex and it is a very nice skid for the price...one thing i like about it is that it has a little "flap" that comes out to protect the shift lever...i'll take some pics of it tomorrow afternoon

hornetgod13
01-15-2008, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by 08400EX
Thanks for the head up, but I always pull my skids when changing the oil. It gives me a chance to clean everything on the underside real good and as you know it is no biggie to RnR them.

I took it a step further this evening and enlarged the crank case drain hole I told you about earlier into a rounded triangle (to match the lower frame). I also ran RTV around the frame and body skid in the area where the oil drains to ensure it all flows out of the drain hole and doesn't drain all over the inside of the body skid. I leak checked it with water and it worked perfectly. I'm not a fan of pulling the body skid off everytime I change my oil. I'll keep mine on. I own a pressure washer so, cleaning is a breeze.

08400EX
01-15-2008, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
. I own a pressure washer so, cleaning is a breeze.

Unfortunately most of the mud here where I ride turns into concrete and none of my 4 pressure washers will get all the crap out sandwiched inbetween the frame and the skid plate. You guys in CA have a lot of clean mud (called sand) so it's not as bad :-)

honda8&3
01-20-2008, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
PRM makes some awesome skid plate stuff

PRM all the way!:cool:

KingpinsEx
01-20-2008, 09:57 PM
PRM is second to none and pretty affordable. It might not be the cheapest but its certainly not the most expensive. The fit and finish is very nice, I have a full underbelly and swingarm skid, both are holding up excellent. Not only I did have clearance issues with not one, but too Pro Armor belly skids on different atvs. I was able to get the one for my 250ex to fit with some tweaking but the 400ex one had to be returned. Can't remeber what the issue was, i believe they make one set for nerfs and one without. Did not know this when i ordered and it wouldnt clear the nerfs or something. So i just exchanged it for the PRM and am very satisfied! Bolted right up, no modifications....

08400EX
01-21-2008, 06:29 AM
An FYI for those looking for a good deal. The older style Pro Armor skid plate that interferes with some nerf bars is being clearanced at Pro Armor for $45... a heck of a deal!!

maxfior
01-21-2008, 08:46 AM
Just thought I'd add my $0.02 about Jetsrus. After getting some mains and pilots from them, I noticed some odd stuff. The one main that I got had a burr inside that looked like a manufacturing problem and both the main and the pilot jets DID NOT looks like OEM jets... So, I went to my Local Honda shop and told them to grab their box full of jets… looked inside and what do you know, actual OEM jets. I even took my Jetsrus jets to see if they were different and the #42 pilot was much different in length then the #42 OEM from my Honda shop. Even though they (Jetsrus) claim that they ONLY buy OEM I think they are selling china junk. Do your self a favor and get your jets locally. Most of the time, you can search this forum for what you are looking for, i.e., open air box and pipe, most use a #42 pilot and a #155 or #158 main. The main jets from Jetsrus looked okay, but again, the stamping on the side of the jet was not like the OEM jet from my Honda shop... So, I just have to wonder, what they are selling. Mike Z at Jetsrus said that if I was not happy I could return everything for a refund... Locally the jets were cheaper then Jetsrus and I didn't have to get screwed for the $8.00 shipping for something that could have been shipped for $1.25. I guess it just depends on how cheap you are, or maybe if you want OEM stuff. Again, just my $0.02, so take it or leave it, but I'm never going to get jets from Jetsrus again.

Max