PDA

View Full Version : splitting cases

honda450rider33
01-11-2008, 09:22 PM
I need a project for a class in school and my blaster motor was blown so i decided to bring the motor in and put a new crank, main bearings, seals, piston, bore ,etc. when i split the cases is there any thing to watch out for? any special tools that you would recommend i buy/not buy? thanks

aaamx
01-12-2008, 09:44 PM
It is very easy to split the cases. if the crank is no good and you are not going to have it rebuilt you can tap the cases apart. if you are going to rebuild the crank you will need a tool to split the cases so you do not damage the crank. when its time to reassemble it freeze the bearings for 2 hrs then warm the cases in the oven at 300 for a couple of mins. remove the cases and place on a pc of wood so you dont burn anything. then take the bearings out of the freezer and drop in the case. make sure the seal was installed before you heated it and you drop the bearing in flat. they should fall right in. next freeze the crank. heat the left case and install the crank the same way. last install tranny in left case and freeze. heat right case, and take case with crank and tranny out yama bond the mateing surface. remove heated left case slide two halfs together. make sure to torq all bolts to spec and you are done.