PDA

View Full Version : Cold air intake

smorris1
01-11-2008, 06:25 PM
I was riding my quad in the cold today, probably about 35 degrees, and I noticed how much more powerful it felt compared to riding in the summmer. Does anybody know of any product that would cool the air besides an aluminum airbox? Maybe an aluminum intake tube?

CarGuy7a
01-11-2008, 06:38 PM
they do make a velocity stack you can find them on ebaymotors........ but they eliminate the airbox, not a good idea for trail riding.

smorris1
01-11-2008, 06:40 PM
Yeah I definitly want to keep the air box.

01-11-2008, 06:48 PM
maybe remove the snorkel open the lid and put a plug (nacs intake plug or a spray paint can top) in place whee th snorkel went then your not sucking air from above your motor

my88r
01-11-2008, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
maybe remove the snorkel open the lid and put a plug (nacs intake plug or a spray paint can top) in place whee th snorkel went then your not sucking air from above your motor

if you do go this route. make sure you rejet.

smorris1
01-11-2008, 07:14 PM
Yeah i would def rejet. I wonder If I can make my own out of like the chrome steel tubes they use for automobile intakes. Make one that is the same shape as the intake boot.

CarGuy7a
01-11-2008, 07:22 PM
well the reason they make them out of rubber is because of vibration. it'll rattle your carb to death.

82CSMiata
01-11-2008, 09:28 PM
metal will also soak up heat and transfer it to the air going into the carb. Plastic wrapped with reflective tape is pretty good in most cases, in cars at least. Kinda ugly though.

j450rking
01-12-2008, 12:06 AM
i always thought about useing pvc pipe and cuting the rubber boot by the airbox and clamping the boot on to the pvc pipe and getting one of those rubber clamping thigs they show in the velocity kit and just paint the pipe black. i think that would work pretty good

01-12-2008, 09:45 AM
a ram air is bad for the quad though. my brothers friends after a rebuild told him you dont need the snorkel and they chose not to put it on without blocking it off. We went riding an hour later and the quad ran like complete s***! It had barely any power and my brother says its probally because they told him not to put the snorkel on and the air is getting into the ir box screwing it up. So we went home put the snorkel on and it ran likea champ!!!omeone told me try sticking your head out of the window doing 70mph down the highway and its not as easy to breathe. motors you cant really compare with to humans but idk why the quad ran so bad with a big hole in the airbox up front then runs pefect with the snorkl on.

NacsMXer
01-12-2008, 10:28 AM
a ram air is bad for the quad though. my brothers friends after a rebuild told him you dont need the snorkel and they chose not to put it on without blocking it off. We went riding an hour later and the quad ran like complete s***! It had barely any power and my brother says its probally because they told him not to put the snorkel on and the air is getting into the ir box screwing it up. So we went home put the snorkel on and it ran likea champ!!!omeone told me try sticking your head out of the window doing 70mph down the highway and its not as easy to breathe. motors you cant really compare with to humans but idk why the quad ran so bad with a big hole in the airbox up front then runs pefect with the snorkl on.

It's because he never rejetted it after removing the snorkel system...of course it's gonna run like crap if you make a change in airflow without compensation in fuel.

01-12-2008, 10:36 AM
bt how would you even jet that because if you putting around its too much fuel and the faster you go the more air there is so how would you even jet that?

maxfior
01-12-2008, 11:00 AM
bt how would you even jet that because if you putting around its too much fuel and the faster you go the more air there is so how would you even jet that?

You still need to compensate for more air being allowed to enter the carb. When I took off my air box lid, even when the engine was at idle it was sucking a lot more air.

Max

STUNTIN400EX
01-12-2008, 11:06 AM
I RUN WITHOUT MY AIR BOX LID AND WHEN I WENT TO WINTERIZE MY 400 I PULLED THE PLUG TO PUT A NEW ONE IN AND IT WAS RUNNING WAY TO RICH WITH STOCK JETTING! STILL HAVE MY SNORKEL THOUGH.

cataway
01-12-2008, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by smorris1
I was riding my quad in the cold today, probably about 35 degrees, and I noticed how much more powerful it felt compared to riding in the summer. Does anybody know of any product that would cool the air besides an aluminum airbox? Maybe an aluminum intake tube?
if your really serous about cold air then you will need to pack dry ice around you intake ,it will work but not very practical .
you'd be better off giving it more air and fuel , rejetting and open air box

smorris1
01-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Alright thanks for the info guys