PDA

View Full Version : Short Track

JBOYZ
01-11-2008, 02:11 PM
I guess we are the odd ones in the bunch - we are running our Xtreme Typhoon on the TT track and Short Track...

Here is a few video's of our quad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbnGdNLH7ug

Our rider in this video started in 1st position & the 2nd position rider hit him not even 1 foot off of the starting line - part of the crash is missing - I scratched the CD in the camera when I threw it....lol

The quad flipped completely over & landed on my son....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PkuoON_Mg4

hanzito
01-11-2008, 07:02 PM
my son and i also race short track. we have a indoor arena that we race on locally. my son races typhoon he is 3rd gear pinned because the track is so short. on his ty125. his quad is stock for the moment but soont o get a hi comp poston and some clutch work or something to get it off the line faster. he is getting killed by the 90cc and 110cc stroker 2 stroke autos he races against. but he usually passes all but the 110cc stroker during the race. the 110 has a far more experienced rider and is about twice as fst as teh typhoon off the line. he leadds my son by half a lap.

double d 1
01-12-2008, 04:18 PM
jboyz what kind of mods are you running? if any. and if the 90's are running 110 motors can the 125 run the 146cc kit. and do they check.

JBOYZ
01-13-2008, 06:38 PM
We have been racing AMA races & as of just recently - the 125cc 4-strokes can now be bumped up to 150.
:confused:
Do they check? Not in the area we are racing.... there are a couple of quads that we are running against that everyone @ the track knows is illegal. But, no one will do anything about it. The AMA officials just give you a stupid look @ say "It's legal"... My son is running in the production class & I will keep his bike legal. I don't want to teach my son that the way to win is to cheat. One kid he races against I feel totally sorry for. His dad is pretty rough on him (besides the big is WAY over-boared) and the kid does not seem to be enjoying racing at all. If the kid isn't having any fun - then why do it????? I sure would love for other AMA official to show up at some of these races & see some of the "crap" that goes on.....
:D
We have only made minimal mods on my sons quad so far. Obviously the hoosier tires, larger oil cooler, xtreme's racing CDI, Uni Air Filter, and put on a shorter shock to lower the back end down.... We are still playing with the sprockets.... have not found the right combination for the TT & Short Track yet... My son has only been racing for almost 6 months and is loving it. As long as he tries his best & has fun - I'm happy!
:)

JBOYZ
01-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Finally got the TT Main video to load:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXujD-1-Ebc

double d 1
01-23-2008, 07:39 PM
pretty impressive vids jboyz!!! it appears that on the short track he does better than on the tt track just my observation. im guessing because he must be having to shift on the tt track, or am i wrong? how old is he by the the way? my son turned 8 in sept. and id like to get him into racing. he tried racing his stock trx 90 on a short track against a 70 and a 90 but the girl on the 70 stayed about a 1/4 lap ahead and the boy on the 90 was lapping him, they both had 2 strokes with mods. there is a indoor series stating this weekend in kellyville oklahoma fo 6 races every other weekend. we are going to watch. thinking of getting the bigger carb and cam with the hi comp piston. thanks

JBOYZ
01-23-2008, 08:27 PM
He just started racing almost 6 months ago...
He actually does better on the TT track - the cvt drive quads normally dominate the short track - the vid of the TT race is him running against 2 modifieds....
:)
He is 13..... He is really too big for the Typhoon - but the next step up throws him in with the "big boys". I plan on letting him run the Typhoon for a year & then I will move him up... May do it sooner since AMA has added a class for the 15-17 year olds... Just didn't want to throw him to the wolves - not yet anyway....lol
:D

double d 1
01-24-2008, 06:03 AM
one more ? what size tires are you running? ive seen some duro tires in 18x9.5x8 for $35.00 each at rocky mountain atv, and some american racer 16x8x8 , i think that was the size , for like $165.00 for two. thanks again.

dodgepower
01-24-2008, 07:01 AM
If they are illegal and its ama put the money up and protest them.

JBOYZ
01-24-2008, 07:45 AM
Tires: Front 18.5X6X10 ~ Rear 18X9X10 (both Hoosiers)
Also have 16X8.5X8 (American Racers) for the Rear
We just try to run tires according to what track we are on... Have not had the American Racers for too long - like them better on most of the tracks - only because of the smaller size & less weight.

As far as protesting them.... These 2 quads only run one series - and protesting would be a joke when they pretty much "run" the series....lol Another rider tried to protest and the official handed him his money back & laughed and just told him they were legal - won't tear 'em down.... We have been doing good against these quads & it sure feels good knowing a $3,000 quad CAN beat a quad with over $10,000 in it - but then again, I think it is mostly the riders! No sense making a stink of it when it will not go anywhere!!! lol.... Just gotta run what we got & do our best and move on.....

As long as my son tries hard - I'm happy!

double d 1
01-25-2008, 06:04 AM
on the american racers how much ground clearance are you getting with the rear sprocket and disc brake since they are a 16'' ? is jumping on the tt track going to flatten down the tires so that the sprocket or disc hit the ground? and on the hoosiers you went with a 10'' rear. would it be a dissadvantage to run a 8'' rear or does the extra sidewall height work against you. thanks again!!

JBOYZ
01-25-2008, 07:47 AM
We haven't hit the rear sprocket yet from jumping. But then again, the TT jumps are never very big! We also have the rear suspension set pretty tight. Not much give on the rear end - we have actually modified the rear shock to lower the quad even more - did this so he can take the turns a little faster w/out bringing the inside tire up too far.
The main thing I like about the 8" rim vs. the 10" rim (or should I say the American Racer vs. the Hoosier) is that the 8" American Racer is considerably lighter. The Hoosier is a very heavy tire!