PDA

View Full Version : eBay A-arm widening kit? Anyone try it?

maxfior
01-11-2008, 01:53 PM
Oh man, this looks pretty squirrelly but it sort of makes sense. I'm sort of scared to trust a big landing running this stuff, has anyone heard of this kit or use it before?
---
eBay LINK (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-400ex-or-450r-A-arms-Shocks-Widening-Kit_W0QQitemZ180203538492QQihZ008QQcategoryZ43974Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
---
Here is the companies web site:
company link (http://www.diamondjcustoms.com/new/index.htm)
---

Max

Hondamaster5505
01-11-2008, 02:12 PM
A couple people on this site LOVE it.

Yet a LOT of people hate it.

I can't help personally, being i never tried them. I don't think i would want to though. First of all, if i wreck, or hit a huge jump, i don't think they will stay together.

Secondly, it adds about 30lbs to the front of your quad, my main reason for not buying them.

Im just gonna keep searching for a great deal on a-arms. Much more proven and better investment in the long run.

Pipeless416
01-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
A couple people on this site LOVE it.

Yet a LOT of people hate it.

I can't help personally, being i never tried them. I don't think i would want to though. First of all, if i wreck, or hit a huge jump, i don't think they will stay together.

Secondly, it adds about 30lbs to the front of your quad, my main reason for not buying them.

Im just gonna keep searching for a great deal on a-arms. Much more proven and better investment in the long run.

that basically sums it up. watch ebay for a set of burgards or used houser.. they can go for pretty good prices sometimes. there are countless arguments and threads on this topic, all concluding that if you want to do it correctly the first time, use extended a-arms. :macho

maxfior
01-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Thanks guys, yeah, I figured that they would weight a bit! I'll have to keep a look out for some a-arms... Oh, well, think I might look for a 450R shocks first... :)

Max

atvmaster0927
01-11-2008, 02:30 PM
yeah i wouldnt trust that at all...looks like it would break easyally. just save up for some new extended a arms.

bens250ex
01-11-2008, 06:31 PM
brand new plus 2 a-arms shipped to your door for 250 shipped. all you need is 3 inserts that will be about 40 bucks email me at hondamanben@hotmail.com if you want them

01-11-2008, 06:46 PM
never in my life would I use the Diamond J Customs or any widening kit on my 400ex. Maybe on a smaller quad... myabe but on a 400ex where the width is already pretty wide I think you will find yourself breaking the kits and such. Do things right the 1st time and get some a-arms. i think that kit might hold up in TT/Flat track racing but other than that go with a-arms

maxfior
01-11-2008, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
never in my life would I use the Diamond J Customs or any widening kit on my 400ex. Maybe on a smaller quad... myabe but on a 400ex where the width is already pretty wide I think you will find yourself breaking the kits and such. Do things right the 1st time and get some a-arms. i think that kit might hold up in TT/Flat track racing but other than that go with a-arms

Yeah, thanks, that's pretty much what I kept saying in my head tonight... I just don't know if I should get some 450R shocks, pipe or a-arms. I don't want to blow a ton of cash, but it would be nice to do something...

Max

Pipeless416
01-11-2008, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by maxfior
Yeah, thanks, that's pretty much what I kept saying in my head tonight... I just don't know if I should get some 450R shocks, pipe or a-arms. I don't want to blow a ton of cash, but it would be nice to do something...

Max

after riding on stock suspension for so long, i can easily tell you that going wider has made me so much faster than extra horsepower did.

maxfior
01-12-2008, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
after riding on stock suspension for so long, i can easily tell you that going wider has made me so much faster than extra horsepower did.

Yeah, "power is nothing with out control" I hope to find a nice pair of shocks someday... :)

Max

rodo400ex
01-13-2008, 08:19 AM
You can get a set of American Star +2+1 A-Arms for $399 and a G-Force axle for $199 from Rocky Mountain ATV. This is the setup I'm running and love it. I spoke with a local speed shop who talked me out of buying the widening kit in question. They said a customer has this kit installed on thier Blaster and they hate it. It has the "death wobble". Those of you who ride street bikes are more fimilar with "tank slapper". Either way, BAD NEWS!!!

maxfior
01-13-2008, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by rodo400ex
You can get a set of American Star +2+1 A-Arms for $399 and a G-Force axle for $199 from Rocky Mountain ATV. This is the setup I'm running and love it. I spoke with a local speed shop who talked me out of buying the widening kit in question. They said a customer has this kit installed on thier Blaster and they hate it. It has the "death wobble". Those of you who ride street bikes are more fimilar with "tank slapper". Either way, BAD NEWS!!!

Oh man, the dreaded tank slapper.... When I would accelerate HARD on my CBR that would happen sometime, either that or a wheelie... yeah, I'm definitely NOT going to order that kit. I'll hold out for a-arms. Thanks for all the input guys.

Max

450r ride red
01-13-2008, 09:01 AM
they work very well my friend had them on his 300ex and they were very easy to install

gcart2
01-13-2008, 01:09 PM
there was a huge argument about this. it came out to the results of:
1. If you are a weekend warrior who does not ride mx of any sort then these r great for u.
2: if you race mx or n e hard riding, you need a arms.