PDA

View Full Version : Problem, need help..

Str8Wicked
11-13-2002, 10:03 AM
Two days ago I threw on my new CT pipe, yesterday I went and called CT to see the recommended JET size. They said a 162 on a stock 400, but to use a 165 on mine since I have an open airbox and K&N. I threw in the 165 and could not get it started. I finally pumped the throttle a few times and it started right up but ded after about 30 secs. I figure the plug was fouled after 30 secs since it was black as night. I figure it is running a little to rich than.

Now in my repair manual it says to adjust the pilot screw if needed. DO I need to do this. If I turn it up what does it do, if I turn it down what does it do. Also is there any adjustment I need to adjust that I do not know about...

Thanks guys

Texan32
11-13-2002, 10:39 AM
i would first get a new plug. I haven't heard of having to lean out the idle mixture after adding a slip on. But weirder things have happened. On the mixture screw. Righty-tighty, lefty-loosey. Right=lean, left=rich.

Str8Wicked
11-13-2002, 10:53 AM
Actually I put a new plug as soon as I saw it fouled. After putting the new plug I could not get it to start at all. I even took the plug out and made sure it was in correctly and tried again but nothing. It just cranks and cranks but won't fire....

Texan32
11-13-2002, 11:09 AM
so, you have no spark?:confused:

QuadTrix6
11-13-2002, 11:10 AM
this might seem dumb but is sometimes overlooked make sure your gas is on and make sure you don't have the kill switch lever engaged (the one on the same box as the starter and lights)..good luck

Str8Wicked
11-13-2002, 11:25 AM
Been there done that.... The Gas is on and the EX is on RUN. ALso it kinda wants to start but won't so it seems that there si some kind of spark.

11-13-2002, 11:32 AM
You may just need to stab the throttle a few times before you hit the starter.

Is the choke open or closed? How cold is it there?

The main jet seems a little rich but not nearly enough that it shouldnt start.

You could also try the 160 or 162. And what needle and pilot could make some diff but also should not keep it from running.

Texan32
11-13-2002, 11:32 AM
have you tried a little parts cleaner/starter fluid in the intake?

Str8Wicked
11-13-2002, 11:40 AM
no haven't tried that. Tongiht I was thinking to put on a 162 to see what happens, do you guys think the 165 might be to rich.

oldnumberseven
11-13-2002, 11:45 AM
Put the petcock on Reserve, do you have an aftermarket CDI? If so throw it away....go back to stock.....the bike stops making power after 8200 anyway. It should start right up. Play with the mixture screw a bit.

Texan32
11-13-2002, 11:47 AM
you need to change you mind of thinking. The main jet has NOTHING to do with idle. You have two main posibilities. The idle mixture is too rich OR you are not getting a good spark. I would plug, hold it against a good ground (head bolt) and hit the starter button. If you are not getting a good spark, you may have some electrical problems. Also, is the battery fully charged? If you have a weak battery, i may not make enough voltage to make a good enough spark.

Str8Wicked
11-13-2002, 11:47 AM
The CDI is stock... What is the petcock? SOrry pretty new at this... I'm learning as I go...

Texan32
11-13-2002, 11:48 AM
its your fuel selector knob

dariusld
11-13-2002, 11:59 AM
Sometimes if you see gas in the tank doesn't mean there is enough gas in the tank. One time, O.K. several times, I looked to see if there is gas in the tank and there was. But it wouldn't start just the way your describing it. So I put more gas in the tank and wa- la it starts right up. I run my tanks low, because I have to stand them up to store them,other wise gas comes out of the vent hose. I'm not saying this your problem, just something to check.

Str8Wicked
11-13-2002, 12:00 PM
I just talked to CT and they told me that no adjustments are needed besides changing the JET. They told me to put a new spark plug, and make sure the battery is up. He said since I was cranking it a bunch of times the battery may be low and not kicking over enough juice to start it up.

TOnight I will change the plug again, recharge the battery a bit and try it once more.

He told me even if I change it to a 162 it should start up, that the jet has nothing to do with the start up.

I guess we'll find out tonight.

Str8Wicked
11-14-2002, 10:06 AM
oldnumberseven wins it. Yesterday I went home tried to re jet again and get my 400 running. I went down to a 162 jet from a 165, I re charged the battery, and replaced the plug. I still could not get it going so decided to put back the stock 148 jet. After taking off the chamber cover t expose the jet I decided to make sure the fuel was getting there. I turned the fuel switch to on and nothing happened, than turned it to off and the gas started running. Turned it back to on, which turned the gas off. Put the chamber cover back on and my 400 started right up. I than took it back apart and threw the 165 jet back in and tried it once again.

I haven't been able to look into it to much but when I turn my switch off, it is really on. On reserve it still runs, but when the switch is ON, the fuek is off. Gotta look into it and see how that happened but until than at least I got my bike running again.

Thanks for all your help guys... It much easier and less fustrating when you can come on here and get feedback from you guys...

Texan32
11-14-2002, 11:10 AM
glad to hear you got it running. There's nuttin worse than DOWN TIME!!!!

Str8Wicked
11-14-2002, 02:23 PM
Yeah no kidding, I already had the wife yelling at me for messing with it.... lol... Like I always say... "There's only one way to learn, if you mess up, just hope it's not to expensive"

lol

Thanks again guys