PDA

View Full Version : a-arms 101

imc188222
01-11-2008, 08:44 AM
I tried the search and didn't come up with what I was looking for. What I am looking for is basic info on a-arms. I have stock arms on my quad right now and am wanting to put aftermarket ones on it. What is the difference and advantages to the choices out there. stock 450r arms, +2, +2 +1, long travel etc etc. Can you run stock length shocks with long travel arms? Basically it seems that I don't know what everyone else on here seems to know about a-arms. Any info appreciated.

dustin_j
01-11-2008, 09:10 AM
You can't run 450r a-arms on a 400ex. You can modify 250r arms to work though.

There are several routes you can go with a-arms depending on your needs. You can go +2 to increase your width for mx (+2+1 just changes handling a little read the sticky on the steering&suspension forum). You can go for max ground clearance or increased strength for woods. Or if you don't need increased width and only trail ride you can stay stock.

As far as suspension with the arms, stock shocks are called standard travel and fit standard travel a-arms. Long travel is a longer shock and needs a-arms setup for the longer shock. If you look at your stock bike the shock mounts above your lower a-arm. If you look at pictures of pro's bikes the shock mounts below the lower a-arm; the a-arm is set up to allow for this mounting point.

Hope that helps, the sticky in the steering & suspension section has great info!

Honda#4
01-11-2008, 10:25 AM
Then you gotta consider the with you want to run +1,+2 +2.5,+3.

What do you plan on racing MX, XC,TT, Flat/Oval Track, or do you want alittle more with for rec riding?

imc188222
01-11-2008, 12:59 PM
I don't race, I ride around the farm, trails and gravel banks. I am just looking for more performance. Thanks for the heads up on the steering and suspension forum, I didn't know it existed.

Ruby Soho
01-11-2008, 01:02 PM
+1 arms would probably benefit you, if your a rec rider.

Honda#4
01-11-2008, 01:08 PM
+1 would be fine but if you wanna be a bit wider +2 would be a noticable increase in stability.

wizzade
01-11-2008, 02:30 PM
I have a dumb question. Do +2 a-arms give you an inch on each side or 2 inches on each side?

atvmaster0927
01-11-2008, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by wizzade
I have a dumb question. Do +2 a-arms give you an inch on each side or 2 inches on each side?

it adds 2 inches to each side.

250x_kyle
01-11-2008, 03:08 PM
you cant run 450r aarms on the 400ex. dont bother waisting money on long travle shocks if ur going to have standard travel aarms because it wont work. long travel shocks are for long travel aarms. long travel suspension is more expensive and by far better handeling but can cost a pritty penny. standard travel is more for your average everyday rider. standard travel shocks although new are pricey they are cheaper than long travels. if you not an all out compition racer standard travel aarms and shocks is what you want.

400exMO
01-11-2008, 03:49 PM
dustin_j it does not matter if the shock mounts below or above the aarm. I've seeen ST aarms with mounts below and LT aarms with mounts above.
Standard travel shocks go with standard travel aarms, and vise versa for LT.

For a rec rider +1 is fine, but if you ride in alot of open trails +2 would be something to consider also.

But with wider aarms you will benefit more with aftermarket shocks setup for the added leverage.

imc188222
01-11-2008, 05:12 PM
I read the entire sticky on the steering and suspensions board. I understand the theory already I was looking more for information specific to the 400ex like what works with what. Thanks for the replies, they have answered most of my questions. One more though and I am sure it has been answered before. If I get +2 or +1 arms do I have to get an axle that matches and how are the axles measured? Is a +1 actually 2 inches wider? thanks

01-11-2008, 06:04 PM
If you got rear tires like razrs were they are 1" wider on each tire which is .5" on each side totaling your rear is 1 inch wider and you get +1 a-arms which makes your front 2" total wider I think you would be fine. I would get an axle thats adjustable or something but its not like you have to.

bens250ex
01-11-2008, 06:23 PM
i got a BRAND NEW set of +2 a-arms for sale for a hell of a price. 250 shipped.

imc188222
01-11-2008, 08:21 PM
Yeah, I saw them. I decided to just go wider, not forward any. thanks though