PDA

View Full Version : Hotcams??

Exrider434
01-11-2008, 07:39 AM
Can i run hotcams in a stock motor? what compression would be best to run with a hmf slip on and k and n? with the hotcams

TRXRacer1
01-11-2008, 08:08 AM
For your first question, yes you can. For your second question, there is no "best" compression for hotcams. Start researching and reading the threads here. There are a million combo's you can run and it all boils down to what your needs are.

dustin_j
01-11-2008, 09:01 AM
There's a ton of info in the powertrain section, just search for hotcam

Honda#4
01-11-2008, 10:33 AM
Well if it's only a stock motor with a pipe,filter, and a cam i'd do a 10:5:1 comp, but if you had like a 416 high comp piston,cam and all the other stuff i'd do a 11:1 comp.

Exrider434
01-11-2008, 10:37 AM
i dont really want bigger yet, until i absolutly neeeed it, but with the 10:5:1 would i still be able to run reg pump gas? would the higher compression affect the crank at all? i saw somewhere else that you might not be able to run hotcams with the sparks timing key, is that true?

Chino886
01-11-2008, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Honda#4
Well if it's only a stock motor with a pipe,filter, and a cam i'd do a 10:5:1 comp, but if you had like a 416 high comp piston,cam and all the other stuff i'd do a 11:1 comp.

Why???????

What's your logic behind this answer???????

Wouldn't a 12:1 stock bore motor be faster than a 10.5:1 stock bore motor? (Assuming same pipe, filter, and cam!)

To answer the original post, Cams are designed to work by changing the way your valves are opening and closing and how long they stay open.

Compression is how much the piston compresses all of the gas air in the cylinder before being ignited by the plug.

Honda#4
01-11-2008, 11:24 AM
Yea a 12:1 motor would be faster but I didn't know if he would wanna buy race gas thats why I said that Dave.

Anything below 11:1 comp you can run pump gas on.

drew416ex
01-11-2008, 02:56 PM
If you will be sticking with stock compression go with the stage 1. If you think you will be getting a higher compression piston, go ahead and get the stage 2. I say this because stage 2 has a longer duration which means you lose some cylinder pressure. A higher compression piston balances it out so you dont lose your lowend power.

CarGuy7a
01-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by drew416ex
If you will be sticking with stock compression go with the stage 1. If you think you will be getting a higher compression piston, go ahead and get the stage 2. I say this because stage 2 has a longer duration which means you lose some cylinder pressure. A higher compression piston balances it out so you dont lose your lowend power.

like he said.

mine is stock bore and i have the stage 1 and it runs pretty good. if i ever have to do a bore and put a new piston in i'd probably go up the next size to 406 with maybe a 10:1 compression so i can still use my stage 1.

it's all in what plans you have for your motor.