PDA

View Full Version : oil

smitty_31
01-11-2008, 12:29 AM
Hello I was just needing some help. What is the best kind of motor oil to run in my 450r. And also… the left side of the motor is for the motor oil correct? And how much can it hold?… now the right side is for the gears? And is there a good kind of gear oil that is really good? And how do I kno when its full?

bloodmoney23
01-11-2008, 12:34 AM
buy honda oil or synthetic oil.....whatever your preference is really... and oil levels are checked by the oil level window on left case (stator cover side) and on right side (clutch cover side) there is a screw with a crush washer that if you look closely will say oil level. unscrew that screw and fill oil untill it starts to leak through hole. wait untill it stops leaking out, wipe motor, replace crush washer with a new one and put screw back in and you are done.

smitty_31
01-11-2008, 12:42 AM
Have u herd of royal purple? And also.. I got into some water yesterday… I thought this creek wasn’t really deep turned out it was… so my motor had some water in it… but do u think I should put some cheap oil in it first? And then drain it out. And put the good stuff in?

wykyd450R
01-11-2008, 05:56 AM
Must have been pretty deep I guess. Flush it several times until you no longer see the water present in the oil when ya drain it. I would use a cheap oil for that. I think I would fill it 2 times and flush right away. Then on the third and following times, start it up, and let it run a few seconds before changing it. This will allow the oil to work thru any tight clearances, corners, to get it all out. I would also check the tranny fluid to make sure its ok too, for safe measure.

I never used royal purple, but its suppose to be quality oil.

01-11-2008, 06:12 AM
I had to do that when I installed my new clutches I put oil in my quad and ran it for a minut and the oil turned to like dirt so i gotta flush it like 2 more times

tooanxiousii
01-11-2008, 07:51 AM
I run Amsoil 0W40 and have no problems

mymastifftucker
01-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Honda HP4 fully synthetic. It is printed right on both sides of the cases how much oil to put in. It is right around 3/4 of a quart on both sides. There is also something about "MOLY" that is not good for the tranny I think. I just changed my oil and the mechanic at the Honda dealer said to use the HP4. The HP4M has the moly and may work ok for the motor side.