PDA

View Full Version : High comp Pistons ?

staakej
01-10-2008, 09:20 PM
Any one using anything over a 14:1 I'm thinking about getting a 15:1 I dont know of anyone using them know a few guys running some JE 13.5:1 and some baldwin 14:1 w/out any problems let me know what you got and how many hours you got out of it thanks

chad502ex
01-11-2008, 11:27 AM
you can either run high compression (14 or 15+:1) and gain ~2 hp vs. running 12:5:1 burning pump gas....

the question is can 'you' afford to run race fuel for about two hp gain on high compression?

is it that 'you' need the extra 3% gain in power over your competition to stay out front of the race pack?

..............................Comes down to about 3% gain at over 3 times the cost for fuel.....

lumpyu812
01-11-2008, 11:46 AM
very interesting and a very good piont! hey chad have you done the research for the 470 kits as far as hp?

staakej
01-11-2008, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by chad502ex
you can either run high compression (14 or 15+:1) and gain ~2 hp vs. running 12:5:1 burning pump gas....

the question is can 'you' afford to run race fuel for about two hp gain on high compression?

is it that 'you' need the extra 3% gain in power over your competition to stay out front of the race pack?

..............................Comes down to about 3% gain at over 3 times the cost for fuel.....

well I'm allready been runing VP 110 and it's not that I fell under powered on the track just looking for A little more out of the hole.

I guess what i'm trying to say if i'm looking at a 3% gain for 200 dollars "and i'm not counting fuel because I'm running it anyways" Is that the best bang for the buck? and is worth it to get the 15:1 compared to the 14:1 or will there not be enough gain for what you lost in reliability ? or or should a guy keep the reliability of a stock piston and just deck the head?

Thanks chad Ive read alot of your posts I could prob pick your brain all day.

chad502ex
01-11-2008, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by lumpyu812
very interesting and a very good piont! hey chad have you done the research for the 470 kits as far as hp?

yup! I was able to make 65hp with the 471R which is my stock bore piston with a +3mm Hot Rod crank, my porting, and a mid-to-top cam...

:macho

but not with big bore kits..... arg!!!! I guess I will when Cylinder Works releases their cylinder kits for the OEM price...

chad502ex
01-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by staakej
well I'm allready been runing VP 110 and it's not that I fell under powered on the track just looking for A little more out of the hole.

I guess what i'm trying to say if i'm looking at a 3% gain for 200 dollars "and i'm not counting fuel because I'm running it anyways" Is that the best bang for the buck? and is worth it to get the 15:1 compared to the 14:1 or will there not be enough gain for what you lost in reliability ? or or should a guy keep the reliability of a stock piston and just deck the head?

Thanks chad Ive read alot of your posts I could prob pick your brain all day.

this site has gotten sensitive to 'promoting'... so,... i'll try to hint around the bush to answer your questions....

why are you running VP 110 on a stock piston? if your running stock piston you shouldn't be wasting money with that,.... that willl never enhance performance on stock compression.... kinda like unburnt money spitting out the exhaust...

I can say this,.... if you want 15:1 then you should already have gotten through all the other performance modifications....

14:1 is the limit for most ppl that havn't gone to the extreme to squeeze all the power out to catch the edge they need to get them out front of the race pack....

12.5 is only about 2hp down and permits pump fuel... still if the engine has performance mods like race porting, race cam, full exhaust, ect,... you can still bust 55hp running pump... possible if volumetric efficiency is maximized...

you want you can always inquire 'off-line with the only 'true' 15:1 piston available- me! i also have 12.5 and 14:1's...

sandmanblue
01-12-2008, 04:36 PM
The way I see it, if you're going to go to a high compression motor, don't go lower than 14:1. You'll love the power compression makes. Just make sure the rest of your motor is matched well to that much compression. You wouldn't want to run a bottom end cam like the HotCam Stage 1 with a lot of compression. A bigger cam is needed.

Again, it's an issue of matching the components to make it all work together well.

Just consult a builder of your choice and get his recommendation.

pro-rider46
01-12-2008, 04:54 PM
chads piston runs great with hc st 1, i dont see why it wouldnt work great

GIXXER1KR
01-12-2008, 05:04 PM
Well im in the middle of pulling my motor for a DRG rebuild.Im still in the process of ironing out the total build but i'll have tons of feedback for everyone real soon!!!

chad502ex
01-12-2008, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by GIXXER1KR
Well im in the middle of pulling my motor for a DRG rebuild.Im still in the process of ironing out the total build but i'll have tons of feedback for everyone real soon!!!

ahhhh yes,.... kewl!!!! my 04/05 450R guys are gonna have an awesome year this season... and with my new 06+ pistons available next week, its gonna get fun... :D

GIXXER1KR
01-12-2008, 09:41 PM
Chad im planning on having my motor out tomorrow to pull it apart so well be chatting.