PDA

View Full Version : 5 Mile Time

jesseweaver
01-10-2008, 07:10 PM
lately my dad has been talking a lot of shlt on fourwheelers in general, since he has started running more. hes not really an athletic guy, and he runs about a 44 minute 5-mile. thats about a 9-min mile pace, and the last time i ran the mile at school, 2 years ago i got 6:50. i know its a lot different in longer distances though. he wants to race me (5 miles) for a new hood for my 400ex and 50$ to him if i lose. ive been playing sports all my life, and have decent endurance, but have never run more than about 1.5 miles or so. my question is how hard would i have to train to be able to run a 40 minute 5-mile, and is it a good bet? he said he'd give me 3 weeks.

JOEX
01-10-2008, 07:40 PM
I don't know kind of training you should do but definately take him up on his challange;)

TRX450RACER174
01-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Basically i don't think you have enough time but i don't know your will power. It's like racing a 6lap moto or 60min endurance race i can fly through a moto no probs but i don't condition myself enough for the long races. I can only say that there are sprinters and marathon runners to totally different actions. Go to the gym and get on a treadmill see how long you last then you will know. Good Luck

01-10-2008, 08:00 PM
this is like a cross country race. Its not so much about speed but endurance and consistency. You dont want to run a really fast 1st mile then slow down from being tired the next you really haver to train to pace yourself. Practice running at a jogging pace or so for just 2 miles and see how you do. Then see if you can go 2 miles back with out a rest. Dont strain yourself because I did and had a slight case of shin splints. Train with my coach and the cross country team is running a average 18 minutes for 3.1 miles. The way they train is by running 5 miles and learning to pace themselves. The 1 kid on the team set the record with something rediculous like 16 something minutes for that 3.1 mile race. Thats averaging around 5 minute miles. I'm not saying your going to be that quick in a short time but just practice running a few miles. If you cant do it then run a shorter distance every day and you will build yourself up to run farther and farther

jesseweaver
01-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by TRX450RACER174
Basically i don't think you have enough time but i don't know your will power.

me and my dad are 2 of the most competitive people you'll meet, so i think ill have the willpower. i just dont want to start running every day then realize a week before that i wouldnt be able to beat him. well, i guess that wouldnt be that bad, id still get exercise.

Robin Hood
01-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Start trainin now if you have the time. A jog around the block/up down your road once a day will help a lot. I had to run a 3 mile final in weight room and put up 23 minutes which was great for me. I started the year running 8 minute miles but cut down to 6 flat in 5-6 months.

Hondaracing819
01-10-2008, 09:20 PM
well start running alot of distance

for the time given you should run distance at least 3 times a week. the first day you start run 1 mile 2nd time 1.5 miles 3rd time 2 miles.. then start off the next week with 2.5, 3, 3.5, then 4, 4.5, 5. you can do other endurance stuff on days you dont run like riding a stationary bike for a long *** time.. like 1 hour at a time twice a week. go wiht monday, thursday, saturday running and sunday, tuesday ride the bike

trxwannbe
01-11-2008, 07:19 AM
i ran long distance for my track team along with throwing javelin your best bet for training is to map out a difficult 3 mile run and do that every day and then take a day or two off before you run against your dad and when the two of you race just match his pace until you hit the last mile or so when that happens turn it up a notch

01-11-2008, 07:35 AM
i ran a 5miler in 3min...o wait nvm thats how long it took me to pass out

JRP
01-11-2008, 09:39 AM
5 miles i can usually knock out between 30-35min and a decent pace. If i push myself, im sure i can get it a little lower than that. I just started running my neighborhood(6miles) every day for about 2 months back in the summer time, but now, i do more short distance stuff for racing....

416exfreak
01-11-2008, 11:17 AM
If you are in decent shape then try to just run for distance everyday. Do it at a pace thats just above comfortable for you and from time to time put in a short (30-45 second) sprint.:)

This will work on your endurance and train your mind to think that you can go just a little harder even when it hurts.;)

Being a cross country runner myself, I can run 5 miles in just over 24 minutes. But thats at a fast pace and when im done, I dont feel like doing anything but laying down for a while.:ermm:

PS- dont eat or drink anything for at least 2 hours before you race him...youll thank me for this info later.:devil:

XXXRACER165
01-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Please don't take this at any level of offense but............your chances are slim. The most important thing(s) to concentrate on are, REALLY I MEAN REALLY focus on your breathing. Don't breathe so fast you hyperventalate but long deep breaths in your nose and out your mouth, and don't breathe with your chest use your diaphragm the oxagen gets to muscles quicker. #2 Get yourself hydrated! The fastest runners actually (this sounds gross) but very true, drink soooo much water they have to urinate while they run because they can't stop every 3-5minutes to go. Keep this stuff in mind cause it ain't worth going out to lose every time you run.