PDA

View Full Version : took baffel out

outlaw450mxr
01-10-2008, 07:01 PM
of the stock exhaust on my 450mxr. Someone told me it's bad for the engine. Others have told me that it doesn't do anything to the quad except give it more power. So i need the real answer.
Thanks.

nickm328
01-11-2008, 07:01 AM
From what I was told whenever you open the exhaust you need to re-jet cause it makes the bike run lean.

250exkid
01-11-2008, 11:32 AM
yup up a jet size or lower ur needle in ur carb by one or 2 notchez, it helps VERY LITTLE in acceleration also

pro-rider46
01-11-2008, 01:23 PM
you just took the baffel out right, and not the whole muffler, it probably doesnt help much, im unsure what type of muffler is on your quad, and how much it affects it, if i was you, and kinda new at jetting, and exhaust moddifications, i would but it back to the way it was, cause if you are unsure on how to do them, you can cause the system to run lean, run hot, and blow up your brand new quad, and im sure its hard to find parts for that quad just yet, since its so new,

outlaw450mxr
01-11-2008, 01:41 PM
my quad is jetted wrong from the factory, so i dont need to re jet. because the ktms engines wouldnt pass the emisions test if they didnt jet them so lean. thats why when you put an exhaust on an outlaw 525/450 you dont need to re-jet all the time.

01-11-2008, 01:41 PM
i always laughed at those that tried to pass up the stock exhaust with no baffle. 1 day messin around with my quad I took it out and started it. My cousin and I laughed so hard because it sounded so stupid. I advise not doing it. It basically doesnt nothing

pro-rider46
01-11-2008, 01:47 PM
i recommend to you that you dont do it, unless you put an exhaust on and you do in fact know how to rejet properly, and when you put on a exhaust you increase the fuel, if they are lean from factory, and people put exhaust on, then they are super lean, my honda has a 118 main from factory(to pass emisions) and i put an exhaust on, and i bumped my main from 118 to 190, if i didnt, it would not run properly, it would over heat, and just totally gernade my motor, get what im sayin?

250r4life
01-11-2008, 02:51 PM
:rolleyes:

i cant beleive some of the stuff i read on here...

k- to the guy who said they come lean from the factory, so if you put a pipe you dont have to rejet... LISTEN UP- if you add an exhuast and get it flowing, you need more fuel! so youre making lean a bike that was already lean... not a good direction to be going...

also, to those who say it doesnt improve performance, you do not have the slightest idea what youre takling about... assuming you compensate with jetting, you would be amazed how much it can wake your bike up taking the baffle out... on the YFZ for instance, the gain of a slip on is pretty minimal over the gain of taking the baffle out....

250r4life
01-11-2008, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
i recommend to you that you dont do it, unless you put an exhaust on and you do in fact know how to rejet properly, and when you put on a exhaust you increase the fuel, if they are lean from factory, and people put exhaust on, then they are super lean, my honda has a 118 main from factory(to pass emisions) and i put an exhaust on, and i bumped my main from 118 to 190, if i didnt, it would not run properly, it would over heat, and just totally gernade my motor, get what im sayin?

i have a feeling youre not comparing apples to apples...

you sure those were the same brand of jets?

ohsobad_chevy
01-11-2008, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life
:rolleyes:

i cant beleive some of the stuff i read on here...

k- to the guy who said they come lean from the factory, so if you put a pipe you dont have to rejet... LISTEN UP- if you add an exhuast and get it flowing, you need more fuel! so youre making lean a bike that was already lean... not a good direction to be going...

also, to those who say it doesnt improve performance, you do not have the slightest idea what youre takling about... assuming you compensate with jetting, you would be amazed how much it can wake your bike up taking the baffle out... on the YFZ for instance, the gain of a slip on is pretty minimal over the gain of taking the baffle out....

I am with you, man........Some people should really learn how to keep off the keyboard, especially when they don't know the facts.
An originally lean bike will go even leaner with an aftermarket exhaust. Therefore requiring you to richen the mixture. :ermm:

ohsobad_chevy
01-11-2008, 03:41 PM
............my honda has a 118 main from factory(to pass emisions) and i put an exhaust on, and i bumped my main from 118 to 190.........

What kind of quad do you have......118 is pretty lean on the main.

pro-rider46
01-11-2008, 03:43 PM
i have a feeling youre not comparing apples to apples...

you sure those were the same brand of jets?

well, i know it sounds like a big jump in jetting, well cause it is, the 450r is really corked up from factory, by opening the exhaust, taking the airbox lid off, and adding a bigger cam, it is very easy to get past 185, the new jets i use is dynojet, and i know that they are very different than kehin, but i have a conversion chart that says whats what, i have a 170 dynojet mj, but its like a 190, i have a 180 keihin mj, and its a little bit leaner than the 170 dynojet, so the chart is very accurate,

ps. i have seen your yfz run, and it does run for all the mods that it has, the yfz exhaust is pretty similar from factory to a aftermarket slip on, but on other exhaust like the 450r it does not help much, it depends on the type of quad...

pro-rider46
01-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by ohsobad_chevy
What kind of quad do you have......118 is pretty lean on the main.

this is a old pic, i have a sparks pipe on it now,

atvrider23054
01-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Yea I've been telling outlaw450mxr for a while to stop posting and get out. He thinks he knows everything there is to know about quads.

And a slip on gives more power than just taking the baffle out! plus it sounds like a turd with it out. Why would people even buy slip ons if they could just take the baffle out and have the same performance?

250r4life
01-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by atvrider23054

And a slip on gives more power than just taking the baffle out! plus it sounds like a turd with it out. Why would people even buy slip ons if they could just take the baffle out and have the same performance?

not much improvment at all... you would be surprised... (Im talking about the YFZ, which i assume you are as well since that is the bike in your sig)

why then? lots of reasons... a- they think it gives more power, and they hear and read what other people think they know, and what 15 year old kids type on forums...
b- they look better...

atvrider23054
01-11-2008, 04:50 PM
not much improvment at all... you would be surprised... (Im talking about the YFZ, which i assume you are as well since that is the bike in your sig)

why then? lots of reasons... a- they think it gives more power, and they hear and read what other people think they know, and what 15 year old kids type on forums...
b- they look better...

Ok then, once you show me the dyno results..I'll believe you, but until then...YOUR WRONG!

250r4life
01-11-2008, 05:38 PM
weather i show you dyno results or not, or regardless of if you believe me or not, im not wrong... however, the fact remains that you sir, are an idiot...

and, just to go ahead and prove my point- here you go...

baffle out and lid off
http://www.gtthunder.com/YfzDyno2.html

slip on and lid off
http://www.gtthunder.com/YfzDyno2.html

however, unlike you, im not one of these idiots on the internet that just go by dyno runs... i've never put my bike on the dyno... i dont care too... i know this from comparing it with a slip on bike, and i know this from all the bikes i've smoked when i just had my baffle out...

pro-rider46
01-11-2008, 06:03 PM
however, the fact remains that you sir, are an idiot...

haha, i wouldnt argue with 250r4life...he knows far more than most:rolleyes:

atvrider23054
01-11-2008, 06:06 PM
did they jet it once they put the slip-on on or no? It says nothing about it, but on another dyno they do mention changing the jetting.

And racing your buddies is a less reliable way than a dyno to figure out which is better.

pro-rider46
01-11-2008, 06:13 PM
yeah im pretty sure they rejetted

01-11-2008, 06:22 PM
this is a old pic, i have a sparks pipe on it now,

theres no way a 450r could have a jet as low as a 118 or so. A stock 400ex has a 148 main.

pro-rider46
01-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
theres no way a 450r could have a jet as low as a 118 or so. A stock 400ex has a 148 main.

hey, do you wanna bet 50 bucks on that, i have paypal, write up a thread in the 450r section, and asks what the stock main jet is in a 04-05 450r, i will bet the dang quad. haha

BlaineKaiser450
01-11-2008, 07:17 PM
hey, do you wanna bet 50 bucks on that, i have paypal, write up a thread in the 450r section, and asks what the stock main jet is in a 04-05 450r, i will bet the dang quad. haha yea it has a 118 mj

250r4life
01-11-2008, 07:21 PM
did they jet it once they put the slip-on on or no? It says nothing about it, but on another dyno they do mention changing the jetting.

And racing your buddies is a less reliable way than a dyno to figure out which is better.

they didnt change the jetting with either of them... according to the website...

well, as you can see the dyno didnt show much difference... but i didnt need the dyno sheets to know that... and im not talking strickly a baffle-less bike vs a slip on bike... i have experience with 2 different YFZs that were ran for a period of time with the baffle out, and then had the exhuast added on later... and im telling ya neither became very much quicker...

250r4life
01-11-2008, 07:24 PM
haha, i wouldnt argue with 250r4life...he knows far more than most:rolleyes:

this coming from some 15 year old punk...

ohsobad_chevy
01-12-2008, 04:00 PM
OK.....lets not argue, we all have our opinions and that is just the way it will be.

Wow, 118 on a stock 450r sounds really lean, but then again, it uses a totally different carb then the 400's so I'm sure thats where the difference is.

01-12-2008, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by ohsobad_chevy
OK.....lets not argue, we all have our opinions and that is just the way it will be.

Wow, 118 on a stock 450r sounds really lean, but then again, it uses a totally different carb then the 400's so I'm sure thats where the difference is.

The450r carb is bigger it takes in more air so I would think it would need for fuel

atvrider23054
01-12-2008, 04:14 PM
With having the quad with the slip on jetted, would have yeilded much different numbers. It must have ran like complete $hit, without being jetted. They already come way to lean from the factory.

01-12-2008, 04:14 PM
nevermind here I found what i'm looking for who knows why but the 04-05 450r take a 118 main from factory and the 06-08 take a 162 main from the factory. What is up with the 04-05 what kind of system does that thing have running such a tiny jet. The 06-08 are more realistic on jetting.

pro-rider46
01-12-2008, 04:46 PM
this coming from some 15 year old punk...

sorry, i guess since im a 15 year old punk, i cant tell whether you know what the hell your talking about either, you know that ryan sheckler won the x games when he was 12, im sure to tony hawk and all the others that he was just a punk too. the next time anyone tries to agree with your, dont be suck a dick, that makes you sound real smart, doesnt it.

pro-rider46
01-12-2008, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
nevermind here I found what i'm looking for who knows why but the 04-05 450r take a 118 main from factory and the 06-08 take a 162 main from the factory. What is up with the 04-05 what kind of system does that thing have running such a tiny jet. The 06-08 are more realistic on jetting.

they are pretty damn corked up from factory, when you buy a hrc kit, you get you a 185 jet, and new needle, new lid, new cam, it really wakes those things up. not even the same quad,

NJ450rider
01-12-2008, 10:38 PM
yup stock main jet on the 04/05 450r is a 118.
I run a 205 or 210(i forget which lol) main now with all my 450r's mods.

04/05 and 06 and up 450r's have two different kind of Keihin carbs. One is an FCR(06 to 08) and one is not(04/05).

And to answer the original question taking the baffle out will increase flow in most cases. So it would be wise to up the main jet one or even two sizes to keep the engine happy.

250r4life
01-13-2008, 12:29 AM
the next time anyone tries to agree with your, dont be suck a dick, that makes you sound real smart, doesnt it.

tries to agree? you rolled your eyes at the end of the sentance- how is that a sign of aggreance?

or did you mean to write "argue" instead of "agree"?

250r4life
01-13-2008, 12:34 AM
With having the quad with the slip on jetted, would have yeilded much different numbers. It must have ran like complete $hit, without being jetted. They already come way to lean from the factory.

we dont get all the scoop about what exactly was done...

but by the same token if you were to re-jet with the baffle out it would yield better numbers as well...

im telling ya right now, that you would be surprised how well a YFZ will run with the baffle out, lid off, and rejetted... most people still wouldnt be able to ride it to its full potential...

pro-rider46
01-13-2008, 10:48 AM
i wasnt rolling my eyes towards you, i was doing it to the others, but it did look like it was towards you, if that is the case, then i apologize to you...btw im 14

250r4life
01-13-2008, 12:43 PM
my bad...

TheNewn
01-15-2008, 11:05 AM
weather i show you dyno results or not, or regardless of if you believe me or not, im not wrong... however, the fact remains that you sir, are an idiot...

Oh man, that made me giggle for a while. And i totally agree.

Thanks for making my day with th at comment :)

250r4life
01-15-2008, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by TheNewn
Oh man, that made me giggle for a while. And i totally agree.

Thanks for making my day with th at comment :)

a lot of what i write on here is for that purpose :D

i may come across as a D*ck, but its all meant in good fun...

01-15-2008, 01:03 PM
omg i see some of the stupidest crap on here mxr450 u r a ****en retard

DUNCE:huh

quadfamily
01-15-2008, 03:06 PM
Who's the stupid one now???? Jerk!