PDA

View Full Version : Water pump impellar

cwjr
01-10-2008, 02:17 PM
We had a quad overheat and would not start.... We started checking and found No water in the the radiator and when we checked the waterpump all the propellers(blades) were gone ? this explained why it overheated???
Any help on what caused this and what we can do to prevent it from happening again?

Nichols Atvs
01-11-2008, 08:24 AM
First this is what the bottle on the back is for if its full or empty should be a clue . You need to add taking rad cap off and checking to your pre ride check list . They do run cooler but a little more maintance . I would suggest replacing the the whole pump once a year if your going to race. You could have had a leak some where thats why you need to check the rad each ride.
clean the quad good make sure its dry ,fill rad Place paper towels under machine and start it up let it warm up and watch under,hoses and cyl, look for leaks you may need to rev engine a bit to put alittle pressure on the cooling system. I cant explain why blades broke.

cwjr
01-11-2008, 09:02 AM
We checked the cap and the fliud was full before the race. The back bottle ????The quad ran for about 8 min and shut down and had no water in the radiator...we filled radiator and there is no leak after several days...we then opened it up and found that the pump had no propellars ?

Thanks

tireman43
01-11-2008, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by cwjr
We checked the cap and the fliud was full before the race. The back bottle ????The quad ran for about 8 min and shut down and had no water in the radiator...we filled radiator and there is no leak after several days...we then opened it up and found that the pump had no propellars ?

Thanks

To answer the back bottle question. There should be a bottle at the rear of the quad above the swing arm on the left side which should have about 1-2" of coolant. Its an overflow tank. As for the propeller trouble I can't say I've heard that before. That sucks, sorry to hear about it.

Nichols Atvs
01-11-2008, 09:24 AM
If you have no bottle in the back thats where all your coolant went out on to the ground. You need that bottle contact your dealer and get one .

cwjr
01-11-2008, 09:43 AM
I meant i didnt check the bottle in the back before the ride when the problem happened...yes we have the over flow bottle and it has about an inch of coolant.
We have raced 29 Gncc's and this was our 2nd DNF...The first was due to a busted swing arm. We are trying to find the answer so this doesnt happen again.

drr5
01-11-2008, 11:26 AM
have you checked to see if the impeller bearing is siezed? have you ran all those races on this bike? if so its possible they just broke, i would suggest that the impeller be checked as frequent as possible until we are sure they will hold up to heavy use, remember Lc mini quads havent been as abundant in the past and they really havent been proven for severe duty that we sometimes ask of them, most hardcore racers im sure either check or replace on a regular basis to prevent just such a failure, i will be checking mine before our next race.

;)

cwjr
01-11-2008, 11:34 AM
This was the 13th Gncc race and about 15 hrs of hard practice...In the future i will check regulary and replace periodically.
Thanks

sldhd700
01-11-2008, 11:41 AM
Quad Junkiies had this same issue on one of there bikes last year. Contact them and see what they have to say about it. My big concern would be where the pieces of impellar ended up. If they are in the radiator this could cause blockage and future cooling problems. Sounds like Pandora s Box might have been opened here.

Shayden Housley #39

GNCC GROVE
01-11-2008, 11:52 AM
That's a good track record for DRR. What carb are you running, any mods other than that? My girl will be making her first GNCC this year and I'm just not happy with the OKO carb. Thanks

cwjr
01-11-2008, 12:20 PM
24 mm Keihen carb
What class will your daughter run ???

GNCC GROVE
01-12-2008, 07:02 AM
70 CVT, (6-11) she's only going to do a few.
Is that carb on both quads?

drr5
01-12-2008, 12:40 PM
the oko carb isnt all that bad just a little more finiky , we have one on our 70 and performs very well , they tend to suffer from poor jetting overall and sometimes the float needs to be set but once they are tuned they seem to be ok we do prefer the pe 24 over the oko but depending on the rules you race by its good to check if its legal or not.

cwjr
01-14-2008, 05:32 AM
Yes we run 24's on both quads..

bulldogfallon
01-16-2008, 10:29 AM
DRR Recomends that the impeller been changed annually...

cwjr
01-16-2008, 10:34 AM
Thanks

sldhd700
01-17-2008, 07:36 PM
Well guess what we found today? I pulled Shaydens motor for rebuild and found a piece of plastic in the radiator hose. Can you say Pandoras Box! His impellar is trashed now I get to go looking for the rest of the pieces.

Shayden Housley #39