PDA

View Full Version : wierd electrical problem?

YFZ450Ridr
01-09-2008, 10:11 PM
Well sunday i was riding around at st joe all day. twards the end of the day while going back to the truck it popped a few times like it misfired then it died. since then it wont fire up. the relay cut-off thing clicks when you turn the key or when you flip the kill switch off/on. the fuses are not blown but it wont turn over. it has no power like the battery is dead but i got a test light and its got juice. it wont fire up either when i try and jump the celanoid. i need to try and pop start it but i havent had time in the last few days.

does anyone have an idea on what it might be? CDI suddenly fried? celanoid went bad? i dont know what could of went bad all of the sudden to make it die all at once?

Aceman
01-10-2008, 07:39 AM
Just shooting from the hip here, but is sounds like you may have a charging problem or bad battery. That would cause your engine to quit firing once the battery was drained. That's what makes me think it's a charging problem. The battery may have enough voltage to light a small test lamp and click a relay in/out but it takes far more to crank an engine over. I'd take a quick look at all your wiring connections, then try throwing some jumper cables on it and use your car battery to start it. It's good to have a cheapie multimeter for these problems, just so you can check voltage. A test light is good for checking power but you really need a meter.

RATPACK Z400
01-10-2008, 12:54 PM
My quad did same its a loose connection some where mine was at negative post then again at soilinod,check your connection they come loose from vibration.

YFZ450Ridr
01-10-2008, 01:44 PM
well when i got it home the first thing i tried was jumper cables, nothing! the wiring all appears to be all fine also, i have all the plastic off.

aceman sounds like a good theory but it started fine all day long, instant fire up even when it was dead cold in the morning. i fired it up fine about 15 minutes prior to the problems..

my dads buddy whos a good electrician is coming over in the next day or two, mabye he can shed some light!

NJ450rider
01-12-2008, 10:57 PM
probably the charging problem 03 to 05 yfzs have. Did you ever update it to the 06 and up charging system? If not do so. Or you could do it the lazy way and make sure you ride with the lights on at all times so its gets a correct charge. If you dont have lights anymore your probably gonna windup having to update it. there is a factory oem update and i also think ricky stator makes an upgrade for the charging problem. there are posts on here about this an its also in an old issue of dirt wheels.

search it

YFZ450Ridr
01-13-2008, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by NJ450rider
probably the charging problem 03 to 05 yfzs have. Did you ever update it to the 06 and up charging system? If not do so. Or you could do it the lazy way and make sure you ride with the lights on at all times so its gets a correct charge. If you dont have lights anymore your probably gonna windup having to update it. there is a factory oem update and i also think ricky stator makes an upgrade for the charging problem. there are posts on here about this an its also in an old issue of dirt wheels.

search it

good call but its not that.

the bike ran perfect all day and started up perfect all day, and i had the lights on all day like always. twards the end of the day my bike just popped really loud from the exhaust like it had missed a few fires then it died. now the system has no electrical power, how though?

do you guys think the mis fires could of been from the CDI starting to go out then it just crapped out?

pro-rider46
01-13-2008, 07:24 PM
could be, what about the coil could it be bad

josh31
01-14-2008, 07:20 AM
Mine did something similar to this. It shut off in the middle of a mx race, of all places!!. It took forever to get it to fire again. I had another 400 and swapt parts and it ended up being the stator. so you may wanna look that way. I did also have a CDI go bad, but when that happened, it wouldn't shut off with the key switch.

NJ450rider
01-14-2008, 12:59 PM
CDI's "usually" dont just go out all of a sudden. Most of the time they get weaker with age and fade out slowly. but im sure that an elctrical short could fry any part of an atvs electrical system. The only thing similar to you that i can help out with is that i had my stator fry in my 450R while riding.(in the dark by myself!!!) I was at least 3rd or 4th gear going wide open when the bike just shut off and backfired once than rolled to a stop. Needless to say i wasnt happy. But yeah the problem was my stator and is a common problem with 04/05 450r's. Your gonig to have to get a voltmeter and check everything to make sure its the right ohms or has or doesnt have continuity as per a manual. good luck

YFZ450Ridr
01-14-2008, 07:24 PM
well we pop started it today and it fired up pretty easily so thats a good sign but i dont know what it means.

i forgot to mention that i have the nuetral saftey switch disabled so its out of the way, as well as the brake lights and the wires going into the throttle.

any ideas..

the Z Man
01-14-2008, 07:40 PM
Make sure you have a solid ground. Could be the starter..