PDA

View Full Version : R dune riders

airheadedduner
11-13-2002, 01:03 AM
What kind of fuel millage are you getting while ridding the dunes??? I can only get 1hr 10min-1hr30min most of the time. Sometimes 2hrs if I don't mess around. Is there anyway of staying out longer short of packing more gas and getting an oversize tank??

AndrewRRR
11-13-2002, 01:42 AM
The last time I went out and actually tracked my mileage, i got about 5mpg with play riding. Pretty horrible. I had less range than the banshees in my group, and I run expensive gas (110).
The bigger your motor/carb and the harder you ride the worse your mileage will be.
If you want more range with the same size tank get a slower bike ;)

fooracer
11-13-2002, 04:19 PM
Last weekend at the dunes I went on a 3hr. ride and still had 1/4 tank left but my Motor is pretty much all stock except for a pipe. My friends 330 uses a LOT though

AndrewRRR
11-13-2002, 06:36 PM
On the other hand, my Suzuki with the Ninja motor gets killer mileage! Street bike motors routinely get 30-45mpg (slightly less in a quad due to weight). Gotta love em!

airheadedduner
11-14-2002, 11:49 PM
I am going back to a stock sized cylinder so hopefully I can stay out a little longer. I don't know if it will still pull 13/37 gearing though. I am gonna miss that bigger cylinder.

Bean
11-15-2002, 06:58 PM
stock clyinder will pull 13-37 around im sure

Chef
11-15-2002, 07:33 PM
Well I know you didnt ask for my opinion of my banshee, but if I ride real hard I only get about an hour out of a tank. I can make it last longer if I dont really ride full throttle all the time though. My only advice is that dont be full throttle where its not needed I guess....Try to ride "conservative". :p ;)

josh
11-15-2002, 11:25 PM
well, your millage sucks cuz ur bike is a 2 stroke and those things crank out soo much rpm they use up hella gas, so when your in the dunes your always crankin the throttle and eatin up gas, out in the dunes my 250x can go about 5 hours before i even check the tank to fill it up, but that's on a mostly stock smaller 4 stroke, i do ride alot while out there and go through about 3 full tanks of gas in 1 weekend, and i never have to use reserve

airheadedduner
11-15-2002, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Alky472
My only advice is that dont be full throttle where its not needed I guess....Try to ride "conservative". :p ;)

ROFLMFAO!!!!!!

The last time I rode it was a one day ride at florence. I met some friends who where camped there. I brought 10 gallons and had to bum some at the end to top off the tank:huh Maybe I got a leak somewheres.

Porkchop
11-16-2002, 12:01 AM
airhead, do you have a picture of your quad up close you can post?

airheadedduner
11-16-2002, 12:20 AM
Older pic, minus rear plastic and nerfs. I also run Ohlin's front shocks now.

If you don't recognize it picture it in the back of a sharifs truck covered in sand :rolleyes: :devil

Chef
11-16-2002, 01:34 AM
How do you like the Ohlins? I'm trying to score a full set for my banshee from a friend, along with his chrome +2 a-arms and axle...He made that particular shee of his a drag bike, and I think he took that **** off. I really just want better suspension for hte good dune airs, and I heard ohlins were pretty good...

airheadedduner
11-16-2002, 12:50 PM
I like them but they need valved. They are set up for a 400EX with a 190lb rider. I am little under 150lbs so they are a little harsh, believe it or not I am getting them valved firmer. Forth gear tapped bowl jumps is about their limit(to flat ground), but I want them a little harder on the compression. I think if I go to a dual rate spring set-up(if possible) it will take the harshness out of them. I backed the preload way off one ride and they rode awesome but bottomed too easy. I am gonna contact the quadshop and check if an elka ssd spring set-up will fit on them. If I had to do it again it would probly be the fully adjustable Ohlin's or TCS, mine only have preload.

josh
11-16-2002, 10:41 PM
well airhead, i would check your drain tubes and stuff all over the carb, but that is a beutifull r and it is modded pretty good, so i think your horrible milage comes from being a very high rpm motor that is moddified to suck up even more gas, but just check the whole thing through and i would get a desert tank if all you really do is dune and trail, cuz those desert tanks can be up to like 5 or 6 gallons, stock on a 400ex is like 2.4 or 2.6 gall tank, so i would say just get a desert tank...........but nice r

Bean
11-20-2002, 05:47 PM
nice R man, i like them pegs alot, lol

rummerd
11-28-2002, 10:00 AM
My ESR 310 seems like it gets pretty good milage, maybe a couple of hours of aggressive riding with a stock tank. I have a bigger tank on it now though. My other bike is an 86 with a Duncan National motor. It uses a Delta V-Force reed cage set-up and it seems like it sucks the gas down. My 310 will pull 13-38 gearing, but it will not pull 6th gear with paddles in soft sand. 13-39 and it pulls 4th or 5th gear up Olds and 6th anywhere else. The 86 has 13-39 gearing and I just put on Durablue and Houser's.

rummerd
11-28-2002, 10:55 AM
The 86.

rummerd
11-28-2002, 10:56 AM
The 88.

Baley69
11-29-2002, 05:22 AM
You get your bumper at Mac airhead?

airheadedduner
11-29-2002, 11:18 AM
I got the front bumper and rear grabbar(which he custom made) directly from Tim's house in Dallas. What happened to Hardbody?? I know Tim wanted to move and I can't get ahold of him and the hardbodyinc website is down. I know him and Mac Racing are partners kinda.

That 310 wont pull 6th in sand with 13/38?? That is odd, I ran 14/37 with my 295 and it was eager for 6th. What kind of porting are you running??

Bean
nice R man, i like them pegs alot, lol

Thanks, Now you know why I ***** about pro-pegs:rolleyes: ;)

rummerd
11-29-2002, 03:20 PM
I am running ESR's mid-range to top end porting. The sand must be different consistancies or something. This 310 is fast. It will pull 6th if you let it get into the really meaty part of the powerband, but you really have to stay after it, once you fall off the pipe, it is time to downshift. 5th it will pull itself into the power really quickly. I am pretty interested to see how Oregon Coast is going to compare with Glamis. I have heard some pretty good things about it.

own2424
11-29-2002, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by rummerd
I am running ESR's mid-range to top end porting. The sand must be different consistancies or something. This 310 is fast. It will pull 6th if you let it get into the really meaty part of the powerband, but you really have to stay after it, once you fall off the pipe, it is time to downshift. 5th it will pull itself into the power really quickly. I am pretty interested to see how Oregon Coast is going to compare with Glamis. I have heard some pretty good things about it. RUMMERD, no more Glamis?! THat sucks! Hey, I'm heading down Dec21, will you still be there? Well, have fun in WA; but its probly nothing like Glamis!

rummerd
11-29-2002, 10:27 PM
We have been to Glamis a bunch of times and will be there the weekend immediately after Christmas. That will be my last trip to the happiest place on Earth for a while. The My time in purgatory is up and the Army is moving me to Ft. Lewis. Sand Dunes are awesome, and Glamis is among the best, but there are lots of different types of riding to do. I was weaned of fast trails and motocross and I am betting that Washington state has bunches of them. Besides, I am pretty sure that you can ride most of the year up there. Down here, summer is pretty much a write off. It was 107 degrees the day we met you, and it was starting to cool off. Summer in Yuma can reach 110 or above. Too hot to ride. By the way, how do you like that other R I posted with the A-arms and shocks? That was the one I was going to trade for a 400EX! Everybody with a four hundy was pretty proud of their ride so I am keeping it I guess!

airheadedduner
11-29-2002, 10:36 PM
The sand here is definatly much harder then at glamis. We actully get rain:rolleyes:, thats probly making all the difference.

AndrewRRR
11-30-2002, 12:48 PM
Here you can ride all year long although it can get pretty cold at the coast in the winter, especially during the night if you sleep in something not heated. Up in Ft. Lewis you will be a good drive from Florence and Winchester but Sandlake isn't too far. If you want to race there are a few tracks up there like Woodland and Washougal. I think the only dune area in WA is Moses Lake or something and it's pretty weak from what I hear.
We should organize a 250r trip in Oregon when the weather gets nice.

Chef
11-30-2002, 06:28 PM
I would try and make it to a 250R ride if you had one. Have it at Winchester Bay, or something.

own2424
11-30-2002, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by rummerd
We have been to Glamis a bunch of times and will be there the weekend immediately after Christmas. That will be my last trip to the happiest place on Earth for a while. The My time in purgatory is up and the Army is moving me to Ft. Lewis. Sand Dunes are awesome, and Glamis is among the best, but there are lots of different types of riding to do. I was weaned of fast trails and motocross and I am betting that Washington state has bunches of them. Besides, I am pretty sure that you can ride most of the year up there. Down here, summer is pretty much a write off. It was 107 degrees the day we met you, and it was starting to cool off. Summer in Yuma can reach 110 or above. Too hot to ride. By the way, how do you like that other R I posted with the A-arms and shocks? That was the one I was going to trade for a 400EX! Everybody with a four hundy was pretty proud of their ride so I am keeping it I guess! Both of your R's are sweet, I especially like the one that I got to see at Buttercup, it got a nice color scheme! Hey, maybe ill run into you again at Glamis because Im supposed to be at Glamis on the 28 and 29 I think! Itll be fun, cant wait!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

rummerd
12-01-2002, 07:27 AM
That is when we are going! We will most likely camp at Gecko, past where the Sand Drags are going to be. Where are you camping, we could probably hook up for a ride, and we could both spank some Raptor's at Olds! My bike, the one you saw, is looking a little rough. Too many seasons on the plastic and the frame has just gone throug another round of gussiting. Next time the frame needs some attention, it will be replaced w/ an Aren's bros. frame. The shocks and motor will be fresh next weekend and that is what counts!

airheadedduner
12-01-2002, 11:23 PM
I love that hill at Winchester Bay. All the bark on the trees lining the trail is knocked off:blah.
If you plan a ride I will be awhile, the R is in millions of pieces right now and I need another month to get it together. Waiting on cash to fix, paying for school sucks.

Woodland IMO sucks arse. I was their, it is flat. Washugal or Albany(OR) are way better.

Bean
12-02-2002, 06:38 PM
man, i wish i lived out there, my setup, which isnt exactly a dune ready thing, is 13/38 with 18in MX tires, u can imagine the traction, anyway, i would love to ride on some hardcore real dunes like glamis or something someday, we hav a sandpit here that is cool, but it isnt "dunes", mine doesnt hav hardcore boring out, its only a 261 with reeds, 38mm carb, Mx porting, and small stuff, but it getts ok gas mileage on stock tank, i was thinkin about a IMS or something huge tank, u guys think it would look ok with one, this woul dbe just for regular ridin, no racin stuff

Bean
12-02-2002, 06:41 PM
i guess some pic refernce would help, lol

AndrewRRR
12-02-2002, 08:27 PM
Nice R Bean!
I'll get some pics of mine when I get it back together. I had it stripped down to the frame last week getting a coat of candy blue powdercoat.
A trip of R riders in Oregon would be cool. A buddy of mine suggested Winchester bay in January. Could be fun!

Bean
12-02-2002, 09:27 PM
thanx bro, im proud of her, its not pro level or perfect yet, but what 16 year old kid quad is?, lmao

airheadedduner
12-04-2002, 12:30 AM
Nice R bean, MXers make awesome duners. Yours would do fine.

I think I will be done by Jan., the frame won't be pretty but functional. Hopfully I will be able to afford a Aren's frame late spring.

AndrewRRR
12-04-2002, 11:07 AM
Here's mine, I'll get new pics up when I put it back together :p

beerock
12-04-2002, 11:28 AM
airhead, just buy a clark 4 gallon tank, you dont need to go back to a stock size cylinder....

airheadedduner
12-04-2002, 03:13 PM
The big reason I went to the stock sized cylinder is I will be hopfully racing regularly at a local track and need to be 250 class legal. I am considering the big tank, they arn't that hard to switch so it would be no big deal to swap the tanks before hitting the track.

Nice R AndrewRRR!! What year??

AndrewRRR
12-04-2002, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by airheadedduner

Nice R AndrewRRR!! What year??

Thanks, it's an 86, but I think the only thing left stock on it is the frame. I just got the frame powdercoated and I may chrome the A-arms, so in a few weeks I should have some new pics.

Bean
12-04-2002, 06:40 PM
really nice R man

airheadedduner
12-04-2002, 10:44 PM
LMAO I just noticed the dice on bean's bike. Is that for luck?? I could use a set:rolleyes:

Bean
12-05-2002, 03:16 PM
well, my freind gave them to me, and left them on there, and i took the pics, and forgot about them, now they are on my rearview mirror next to my minin Mr PotatoHead

weld a tab on your bumper, and mount them there!

airheadedduner
12-05-2002, 04:08 PM
Very Bling Bling:D

On his R one of my friends has a decapitated G.I.Joe Taped to his front bumper. His name is Army Ranger BOB:blah

Bean
12-05-2002, 04:15 PM
my cosin ziptied a frog on his R, and i had a MR Potatohead that was going on my bumper, but i glued him togather, and mounted him on my cup holder in my Z-71

Chef
12-05-2002, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Bean
weld a tab on your bumper, and mount them there!

That reminds me dude, there was a guy at Winchester Bay with an old ratty looking, yet real fast, banshee, with a rubber ball sack hanging off the grab bar. He took off up Iron Man, and they flopped from tire to tire...LMAO

Bean
12-05-2002, 07:34 PM
lmao, he is a pimp for doing that

12-05-2002, 09:03 PM

That reminds me dude, there was a guy at Winchester Bay with an old ratty looking, yet real fast, banshee, with a rubber ball sack hanging off the grab bar. He took off up Iron Man, and they flopped from tire to tire...LMAO

u know what they say, chrome dont get ya home

airheadedduner
12-05-2002, 10:46 PM

LMAO you should have snuck over there and nuetered his bike. See how fast it is then:blah :eek:

havinnoj
12-25-2002, 01:00 AM
I get about 2 1/2 hours to 3 1/2 hours depending on how hard I ride. These are my estimates. Airhead where do u ususlly ride. I usually ride at Winchester Bay.

airheadedduner
12-25-2002, 10:43 PM
I ride all the south dunes. Frome Coos Bay up to Florence. I don't ride sand lake anymore. They are all fairly close together for me. It takes me from 3-4hrs to get to any of them.

havinnoj
12-25-2002, 10:48 PM
Same here. Sometimes I'll ride Sand Lake if I need a quick fix. I live in Tualatin. What part do u live in? We should go ride sometime.

airheadedduner
12-25-2002, 10:56 PM
I live east of salem, but I work and go to school in salem. There are a few members here that live in OR. We should plan a spring ride and get as many of us together as we can. That would be sweet:cool:

havinnoj
12-26-2002, 04:51 PM
Yeah that would be awesome. Im heading to Glamis for a week and a half over my spring break. I cant wait. It's going to be my first trip down there. That should be our "spring ride!!"

Chef
12-26-2002, 05:27 PM
If I'm not in Idaho, I would be glad to go on a Spring ride, at Coos Bay or winchester...maybe even florence. They all have their good points. I seem to find alot better jumps at Coos Bay, more racing at Florence, and more cool climbs at winchester. But I will only be there if you allow a Shee:p

havinnoj
12-26-2002, 05:44 PM
If you ride, you are welcomed in my eyes.

rummerd
12-26-2002, 05:47 PM
Count me it if I am off that weekend! I ride with anybody! Even disallusioned four hundy owners!

airheadedduner
12-26-2002, 11:21 PM
Hopefully I will have my R together by middle Jan. If enough of us can get lined up mabe we should plan a day ride during spring break.:square

airheadedduner
12-27-2002, 10:25 AM
So who would be up for a day ride in the spring if we can get enough people to go??? I should have weekends off after school starts again.

RideSportrax
12-27-2002, 11:54 AM
How does the 350r run? My bud was considering one........

rummerd
12-27-2002, 01:28 PM
I would be up for some day rides!

Baley69
12-27-2002, 02:05 PM
Let me no, I'll meet up with you guys. I live in Salem.

AndrewRRR
12-27-2002, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by RideSportrax
How does the 350r run? My bud was considering one........

Who are you asking? Mine runs pretty good, it is rare I get beat by anything but stretched full on drag quads.
The biggest factor in how a R motor that big runs is who built it and what they built it for. My motor was originally a LRD MX ported 330, then was ported out to a 4mm stroker drag motor (It was Arlan's first motor ported that extreme I understand).
I am currently having the entire motor gone through to squeeze every HP from it by a local builder that builds some scary fast bikes :)
As for weekends, I am hoping to have the R in full, fighting trim and broken in by Feb or late Jan. I'd love to go. I may be doing a few "test 'n tune" day trips out at sandlake before then with the motor builder. I'll keep you posted.

Chef
12-28-2002, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by AndrewRRR

Who are you asking? Mine runs pretty good, it is rare I get beat by anything but stretched full on drag quads.
The biggest factor in how a R motor that big runs is who built it and what they built it for. My motor was originally a LRD MX ported 330, then was ported out to a 4mm stroker drag motor (It was Arlan's first motor ported that extreme I understand).
I am currently having the entire motor gone through to squeeze every HP from it by a local builder that builds some scary fast bikes :)
As for weekends, I am hoping to have the R in full, fighting trim and broken in by Feb or late Jan. I'd love to go. I may be doing a few "test 'n tune" day trips out at sandlake before then with the motor builder. I'll keep you posted.

Who's doing it? Is it perhaps a guy from the camas area?

AndrewRRR
12-28-2002, 12:42 PM
It's being done by Ripp's PowerSports. They are in beavercreek. I'm probably going out there today to drop off my carb and pipe for some work on them. One of his "shop" bikes is a triple cyl banshee on alcohol with a Twister crank. The whole bike leaves the ground everytime it hits a gear. :devil

rummerd
12-29-2002, 05:12 PM
Just got back from a nice easy ride to break in my fresh top end. It's pretty fast, but not a drag racer. Looking foward to some good riding in the area as soon as I hit the ground. Where is Sand Lake?

AndrewRRR
12-30-2002, 12:51 PM
Sandlake is the closest dune riding area to Portland. It's about a 1 1/2 hour drive going the speed limit. It's just north of Pacific City. Just go to Mapquest or one of those online directions sites and look for Sandlake or Sandlake Rd.
The area is fairly small and flat, but it has 2 ok bowls. The first one is where most of the hillshooting takes place. There are also some decent trails back through the trees.
If you stay there overnight lock up your bike. The damn locals like to steal quads and part them out. One of my buddies went there with his $12K banshee, when he woke up in the morning his tie downs were cut and the bike was rolled forward. Luckily he decided to throw a cable lock through it before he went to bed. People have had seats and other misc. parts stolen too. Maybe we should start bringing a pit bull with us.

airheadedduner
12-31-2002, 10:32 PM
We had 4 racing gas cans stolen frome us at florence. I guess at nights some people came through the camp and stole all the racing cans they could get ahold of. The guy across from us lost 3 cans of 110 and 2 cans of methonal. Lots of banshee cascade seats where taken too. We lock up everything now and we do bring our dogs with us.

Chef
12-31-2002, 11:04 PM
I got my tail light on dude, should be cool in the sand at night. Check out the pics Here (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39309)

havinnoj
12-31-2002, 11:17 PM
your tail light looks rad. It's sad to think that we cannot even enjoy a fun recreational activity without having to worry about *******s who go around stealing things. Now we put padlocks through our rotors and did chain our bikes to our trailer along with gas jugs. Sad.

Fender Bender
12-31-2002, 11:25 PM
SWEET! its so shiny i can see you in the reflection:cool:

Chef
12-31-2002, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by strokedandpoked
SWEET! its so shiny i can see you in the reflection:cool:

LMAO Someone on BansheeHQ asked if I payed extra for the reflection...:p

Fender Bender
01-01-2003, 12:09 AM
hahaha, too funny man:blah

AndrewRRR
01-13-2003, 07:14 PM
My R's motor is expected to be done around the end of this month! After I get it broken in I'm gonna have to go to the dunes and spin-dry the whole place manually! muaahahahaa
How about a early-mid February trip?

Chef
01-13-2003, 08:18 PM
I will be down there the very end of this month. Leaving morning of the 31st. Heading to Winchester Bay first, then Coos Bay probably, then maybe florence on the way home.

havinnoj
01-14-2003, 05:54 PM
Hey how about like say the 15th of Feb. It's Presidents day on monday. My R should be done around then (motor wise)!!

AndrewRRR
01-14-2003, 07:00 PM
Hmmm, day after valentines day I might have to sleep in.... lol. I could do Sandlake that weekend since it's close.

havinnoj
01-14-2003, 08:25 PM
ok yea sandlake might work too. I'll have my engine done probably but my a-arms, axle, and shocks might have to wait.

airheadedduner
01-14-2003, 10:52 PM
I don't know when I will get my R done, should be a couple weeks but it won't be pretty:o Let me know if any of you wanna plan on a day run, I can swing weekend days off work.

monkeynuts
01-20-2003, 10:30 AM
i was just out at glamis this past weekend (jan 17-19). got to take my first real ride on my R since i built it from a stock bike. i'm in love! i'll be out at glamis on presidents weekend and either glamis or superstition on feb 7-9, so keep an eye out for this quad that has some kid completely out of control with no idea what he's doing just hanging on for dear life (me).

***check out my site with more pics and info. www.geocities.com/stemplin (http://www.geocities.com/stemplin) ***

my baby:

AndrewRRR
01-21-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by monkeynuts
i was just out at glamis this past weekend (jan 17-19). got to take my first real ride on my R since i built it from a stock bike. i'm in love! i'll be out at glamis on presidents weekend and either glamis or superstition on feb 7-9, so keep an eye out for this quad that has some kid completely out of control with no idea what he's doing just hanging on for dear life (me).

***check out my site with more pics and info. www.geocities.com/stemplin (http://www.geocities.com/stemplin) ***

my baby:

:eek: If you are completely out of control and hanging on for dear life please don't ride at the same dunes as me. I can't afford to pay for damage to my bike or body!
What kind of motor did you get for it?

lil400exman
01-22-2003, 01:22 PM
here is my 250r its stok chassis wise but it has got a screamer motor and i get good gas mileage outta it and i beat all the quads i can into contact with........shees 400ex's and a z-400 i cat wait to go against a c-dale my quad aint a looker but i got alot of stuff for it............extra frame nerfs spindles hubs and stuff like that my motor is this: 30 over port in polish new piston high compression hison clutch basket and new gears and water pump she will run cricles around any of the quads around here............ i am saving for shocks and arms and tires and after that some nice plastics and seat cover:devil