PDA

View Full Version : Chains?

GraphicDisorder
01-09-2008, 09:04 PM
Whats everyone favorite chain? Type? Brand? Where did you get it? Cost?

I am over due for one and would like some opinions.

520x94 correct size right?

drew416ex
01-09-2008, 09:21 PM
I like the regina orn. They have a atv chain out now. Dont remember the cost was but i got it from rockymountainatvmc.com

GPracer2500
01-09-2008, 09:49 PM
My opinion:

--Best chain available, price be damned---> DID ERV3 (~$140)
--Best value-----------------------------> Primary Drive X-ring or O-ring (~$40 to ~$60)

Primary Drive is RockyMountain's house brand.

GraphicDisorder
01-09-2008, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
My opinion:

--Best chain available, price be damned---> DID ERV3 (~$140)
--Best value-----------------------------> Primary Drive X-ring or O-ring (~$40 to ~$60)

Primary Drive is RockyMountain's house brand.

Do you like the X or the O ring better?

my88r
01-09-2008, 09:55 PM
is 94 links the correct size?? im over due to.

GPracer2500
01-09-2008, 10:24 PM
I've actually never run a PD o-ring, just their gold colored X-ring. There's also a non-gold PD X-ring that is a little cheaper than the gold version.

But X-rings and o-rings aren't all that different. An X-ring is just a fancy type of o-ring that (at least in theory) should last a little longer and reduce articulating friction because of its shape.

X-ring:
http://precision.thomasnet.com/ImgMedium/X-Ring.jpg

The "X" cross section of this type of sealing ring provides for two sealing points against each side plate, instead of an o-ring's single sealing surface.

I've got two of the PD gold colored X-rings on different bikes and have been real happy so far. I went with PD's top of the line chain since it looks nice, it's an X-ring, and it doesn't cost much. Are they as good as the DID ERV2's and ERV3's I've run in the past? No. But unless I've got money burning holes in my pockets or have some reason to require the very best available, the PD's are just too good to pass up for what they cost (i.e. great value).

Also, remember it's best to replace your sprockets at the same time as the chain. Go steel in the rear for the longevity. The aluminum rear sprockets I've run just wear out too damn fast. If you're racing and fighting for position and don't care about replacing stuff frequently, then go for an aluminum sprocket.

$0.02

my88r
01-09-2008, 10:35 PM
I've actually never run a PD o-ring, just their gold colored X-ring. There's also a non-gold PD X-ring that is a little cheaper than the gold version.

But X-rings and o-rings aren't all that different. An X-ring is just a fancy type of o-ring that (at least in theory) should last a little longer and reduce articulating friction because of its shape.

X-ring:

The "X" cross section of this type of sealing ring provides for two sealing points against each side plate, instead of an o-ring's single sealing surface.

I've got two of the PD gold colored X-rings on different bikes and have been real happy so far. I went with PD's top of the line chain since it looks nice, it's an X-ring, and it doesn't cost much. Are they as good as the DID ERV2's and ERV3's I've run in the past? No. But unless I've got money burning holes in my pockets or have some reason to require the very best available, the PD's are just to good to pass up for what they cost (i.e. great value).

Also, remember it's best to replace your sprockets at the same time as the chain. Go steel in the rear for the longevity. The aluminum rear sprockets I've run just wear out too damn fast. If you're racing and fighting for position and don't care about replacing stuff frequently, then go for an aluminum sprocket.

$0.02

i found a RK m model chain. any input on them. i looked on there site. couldnt find to much.

GPracer2500
01-09-2008, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by my88r
i found a RK m model chain. any input on them. i looked on there site. couldnt find to much.

RK is a good brand. I don't know anything specific about an "m model". But it's likely just some variation of an "X" ring. Various chain companies utilize all sorts of complicated looking sealing rings instead of simple o-rings.

Here's an image showing the cross section of various RK sealing rings. I don't see an "M" ring on there, but it's probably something along the same lines.
http://www.mickhone.com.au/Acessories/ringmix.gif

Here's another image from DID to help illustrate how these sealing rings work.
http://www.forfin.pl/images/prod/x+ring2.jpg

Of course, each company says their design is the best.

my88r
01-09-2008, 11:12 PM
RK is a good brand. I don't know anything specific about an "m model". But it's likely just some variation of an "X" ring. Various chain companies utilize all sorts of complicated looking sealing rings instead of simple o-rings.

Here's an image showing the cross section of various RK sealing rings. I don't see an "M" ring on there, but it's probably something along the same lines.
http://www.mickhone.com.au/Acessories/ringmix.gif

Here's another image from DID to help illustrate how these sealing rings work.
http://www.forfin.pl/images/prod/x+ring2.jpg

Of course, each company says their design is the best.

heres what it said about the m. RK- RKM model chain has an average tensile strength of 6800 lbs.

GPracer2500
01-09-2008, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by my88r
heres what it said about the m. RK- RKM model chain has an average tensile strength of 6800 lbs.

Ahhh. That's not a sealed (o-ring, x-ring, etc) chain. It's a very basic, budget oriented, non-o-ring chain. I would not choose a non-o-ring chain.

my88r
01-10-2008, 12:06 AM
Ahhh. That's not a sealed (o-ring, x-ring, etc) chain. It's a very basic, budget oriented, non-o-ring chain. I would not choose a non-o-ring chain.

im glad i posted that then. THANKS!:macho

GraphicDisorder
01-10-2008, 07:33 AM

X-ring:

I've got two of the PD gold colored X-rings on different bikes and have been real happy so far. I went with PD's top of the line chain since it looks nice, it's an X-ring, and it doesn't cost much. Are they as good as the DID ERV2's and ERV3's I've run in the past? No. But unless I've got money burning holes in my pockets or have some reason to require the very best available, the PD's are just too good to pass up for what they cost (i.e. great value).

$0.02

I already have steel sprokets so im good there, I ordered a PD X Chain just now, thanks for the help.

01-10-2008, 04:43 PM
d.i.d x-ring chains are the best hands down;)

TRXRacer1
01-11-2008, 08:02 AM
I've ran DID, RK, Regina and Primary Drive. My current favorite is the Primary Drive x-ring. I tried the o-ring and was not impressed but the x-ring is hands down the best deal out there. It's holding up as well if not better then the name brand ones I've tried. I will without a doubt be buying the Primary Drive x-ring again if I need another chain.

Don't forget the sprockets or you'll screw up your new chain!

GraphicDisorder
01-11-2008, 08:06 AM
I already have sprockets from the last time I ordered a chain/sprocket set. I wasn't impressed with the chain thats for sure but then again it was just a cheap ebay chain. LOL.

So thats the reason I asked about a nice chain this time.

TRXRacer1
01-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by GraphicDisorder
I already have sprockets from the last time I ordered a chain/sprocket set. I wasn't impressed with the chain thats for sure but then again it was just a cheap ebay chain. LOL.

So thats the reason I asked about a nice chain this time. So you bought a set last time and only used the chain? If so then that's cool just use the unused sprockets with the new chain but if you used that chain from the set on old sprockets last time that may be one reason why the chain was so unimpressive. Worn sprockets can humble even high dollar chains.

Good luck on what ever you choose and I'll say again that I am impressed with the Primary Drive x-ring.

GraphicDisorder
01-11-2008, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
So you bought a set last time and only used the chain? If so then that's cool just use the unused sprockets with the new chain but if you used that chain from the set on old sprockets last time that may be one reason why the chain was so unimpressive. Worn sprockets can humble even high dollar chains.

Good luck on what ever you choose and I'll say again that I am impressed with the Primary Drive x-ring.

No, I used the sprockets and chain last time, it was a junk chain so it only lasted a few months. Sprockets still look new.

mattn03
03-12-2008, 09:11 AM
So is the rear 400EX sprocket aluminum or steel? Is having an aluminum front sprocket and steel rear sprocket bad? I'm only trail riding, so weight isn't a huge issue.

drew416ex
03-12-2008, 02:44 PM
Both front and rear are steel fromt the factory. Not sure about your other question.

REDRIDDER
03-12-2008, 02:53 PM
I run the primary drive 520 gold racing chain, non o ring chain and a tensile strength of 8,510 lbs.Only chains i buy are primary drive weather its a o ring or not you cant beat the price and the average tensile strength is rated more than your name brand chains that are twice as much.PD for me.

mattn03
03-13-2008, 08:11 PM
I ordered a PD 38t steel sprocket and PD gold X-ring chain yesterday :D

kraemer
03-14-2008, 12:22 PM
Ever been stranded in no where with your chain in your hand? Proper maint. will avoid it, but sometimes **** happens....

I bought sidewinder timoly fr and rr and a smart chain.... I am very happy with my results, BUT I payed close to 400 for all my components, BUT I do not worry about getting stranded anymore...