PDA

View Full Version : my bike is overheating please help!

450rRuleZ
01-09-2008, 09:01 PM
i checked my fan and is in good condition....would it be a good idea to eliminate the thermostat so it will turn on more often because is overheating and my fan is not turning on. please give me ideas to fix it..and tell me if it has happened to u and what u did thank u. =)

pro-rider46
01-09-2008, 09:09 PM
is your radiator cap bad? what anti freeze do you have, if any? your thermostat might be bad, check those things out.

450rRuleZ
01-09-2008, 09:16 PM
oh and how can i check the thermostat so i can know if its working or not..how do i know...and yea im using some anti freeze that they sell in auto zone.

pro-rider46
01-09-2008, 09:31 PM
to tell you the truth, i cant remember how to test one, i can change one, but cant remember to test it, if you have a cooling system pressure tester, test to see if your cap is bad, if you dont have that tool, im sure that they are pretty cheap, and wouldnt be a bad idea just to have one for when ever you need one, also, for anti freeze, is it the green stuff, the red will corode your whole system and ruin it.

the Z Man
01-09-2008, 09:33 PM
Take the wire that goes to your temp sensor, ( located by your thermostat ) take it directly to a ground and see if your fan turns on.
If you have eliminated your key switch you need to cross the wires so your temp sensor turns on your fan.

the Z Man
01-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Or just make sure that your temp sensor is plugged in, also make sure your tab on the sensor is not broken.

450rRuleZ
01-09-2008, 09:47 PM
thanks guys ill check on that and post this again and see if it works...=) and ill let u guys know thanks for the help again.

the Z Man
01-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Usually if your temp control is working properly, your temp light comes on for a second when you first start the bike....

mymastifftucker
01-10-2008, 06:05 AM
Easiest way to test the themostat is to put it in a pot of water!! Keep a thermometer in the water and see if it opens up. Make sure your radiator is clean!! Spray it out with a good pressure washer.

TRX450RACER174
01-10-2008, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by mymastifftucker
Easiest way to test the themostat is to put it in a pot of water!! Keep a thermometer in the water and see if it opens up. Make sure your radiator is clean!! Spray it out with a good pressure washer.

Make sure if you do this method to put the thermostat in a cradle so it's not sitting on the bottom of the pot, the pot conducts heat different and will give off a false reading.

450rRuleZ
01-11-2008, 12:02 PM
lol thanks for the help ill try all of that

the Z Man
01-16-2008, 08:40 PM
Update!!!

nacnac250z
01-21-2008, 05:15 PM
i had the same problem on mine, what happend was the thermostat went bad, farely quick too. what i did, like someone said earlier, is ground out the the wire that plugs into the thermostat to a bolt right on the cylinder, if the fan works than the thermostat is bad, its an easy fix, just thread it out and replace it, however, in the mean time you can ride it all you want while the fan wire is grounded, it will be running constantly but it wont overheat......i also started running "engine ice" antifreeze its suposed to make the motor run cooler......to this day at every race i ground out my fan and let it run the whole time and never had a problem.

nacnac250z
01-21-2008, 05:15 PM
i had the same problem on mine, what happend was the thermostat went bad, farely quick too. what i did, like someone said earlier, is ground out the the wire that plugs into the thermostat to a bolt right on the cylinder, if the fan works than the thermostat is bad, its an easy fix, just thread it out and replace it, however, in the mean time you can ride it all you want while the fan wire is grounded, it will be running constantly but it wont overheat......i also started running "engine ice" antifreeze its suposed to make the motor run cooler......to this day at every race i ground out my fan and let it run the whole time and never had a problem.