PDA

View Full Version : best bang for the buck drx shocks?

stauffracing#4
01-09-2008, 08:20 PM
has anyone used any cheaper shocks besides elkas?I know you cant skimp on certain things but some things have adequate substitutes? New to the sport but allready hooked.

drr5
01-10-2008, 06:32 AM
try works shocks they too are good shocks as they do offer many styles and prices, from basic and affordable to complex and expensive, ela also sells a basic shock with no rezzies and i believe they are competitivly priced . just my 2 cent worth

WOLFPACK
01-10-2008, 07:47 AM
Only purchase Works as a last resort!

The works shock doesn't have a conventional valve like most shocks. They use a machined piece of aluminum with holes, springs and BB's. Most aftermarket shocks use metal shims that allow us to fine tune the suspension to the rider. These shims cost about a $1. each and there can be between 40 and 60 shims in each shock. The piece of Aluminum that Works uses may cost them a total of $5. (guessing). That is the reason for the big difference in pricing.

My recommendation is Motowoz! It is what we will be running this season. But if you don't want to spend that much then go with the entry level Elka.

Shane

bulldogfallon
01-10-2008, 08:01 AM
Can I ask about the year and size of your quad, along with the riding type you are doing. Rider weight and age would be helpful too

What type of performance are you currently experiencing with your set up (front and rear)....

Can you also define your expectations from an upgrade?

These answers will help us provide a recomendation with pros and cons for your specific need and expectations.

stauffracing#4
01-10-2008, 07:28 PM
hi gary. this is steve from spring hill. i am running the 08 drx 90. my son is 10 and weighs 85lbs. we are racing motocross at sunshine. we would like to go mod soon because he is bottoming out the stock shocks.

bulldogfallon
01-10-2008, 07:51 PM
DRR offers some stiffer rear shocks which would be the cheapest choice by far....

Steve Churchill may have 1-2 on the shelf...

He is "Forgiven" on this site

PM him to see...

If not I can get some for you....

My boy is running the 90cc class at 100+lbs and the shocks hold up to his weight

jetski_dawg
01-10-2008, 07:54 PM
id check with michelle at sunshine but i think you can upgrade the shocks without having to go to the mod class.. try moving the cam on the shock to stiffin them up.. last season just owning a drr automatically put you in the mod class but this year is different

stauffracing#4
01-10-2008, 08:11 PM
the only thing you can legally do at sunshine in the stock class is nerfs wheels and tires.But maybe that will change soon.i doubt ill wait that long.

bulldogfallon
01-10-2008, 08:12 PM
I have 3 different rear shocks for the DRR quads (may keep you in the stock class since it is an OEM shock??)

Red soft --was stock in 07/08 (still on our 50s)
Blk Med --which we order on our 08 DRX70s (2006 blk shock)
Red Stiff --which we ordered on our last batch of 90s

Red stiff shock is super stiff when brand new, but once you break it in it seems to hold up to most 90 riders weight

stauffracing#4
01-10-2008, 08:14 PM
gary any news on the swingarms yet. not trying to bug you just asking?

stauffracing#4
01-10-2008, 08:18 PM
gary igot some gears from mike that are supposed to be 1tooth bigger?internal gears or is that stock for 08?

forgiven
01-10-2008, 08:41 PM
I do have a rear shock that I could swap with you. Initially the stock was too stiff but we did a few things to it and my boy (about 90ish) found it to be just about right through an indoor MX track here locally. I don't believe it bottomed all day and I have it on the softest setting. PM me if you are interested. Anything to help out.

quad1rider
01-13-2008, 08:09 PM
Motowoz is a great company but you have to use a shock designed for a pit bike not a quad , the person putting down the works shocks must have had is own bad issue with them many use them without a problem the cheapest as said is the drr stock upgrade shock but keep in mind in about 3-6 months Fox Shox will have a replacement stock shock and I hate saying it but ELKAS for the money reguardless are the way to go. non-res will cost about 700.00 check with Hetrick Racing ....

Just a Note::: Elka engineers the shock to match rotation , length and about 4 other variables which in turn makes them at this point the safest and best shock for the money. Your Kids safety is worth the extra 150...or so... thats how I look at it..

DRRKID
01-14-2008, 04:56 AM
well i have been racing for a little over a year.I just got elkas for christmas.they have several different shock tipes,but i went to the track with my old shocks and then with my elkas my lap times on my old shox were about 1:15 and on my elkas i was running 1:08.in the long run a good pair of shocks might be better than havving to fix a frame and swingarms.they have already helped alot.and sometimes it depends on what tipe of racing ur doing,i do both motocross and harescramble,the elka elites are great,but another really good scock is Motowoz.they are pretty good i hear.well i wish you luck,

bulldogfallon
01-14-2008, 10:08 PM
Steve--Let me know what you need and I will make sure you are happy with the decision.

ELka or FOx makes a good shock for the DRR

Elka's have something for your stock set up and Fox will have them in late April-May (estimated-hopefully)

Try to make it out to the next SSQSA race at Dade City and you can see my son's std travel Elka's

We should have a set of the new LT Fox shocks on a DRX70 as well

stauffracing#4
01-15-2008, 08:33 PM
hey gary thanks for the info. Ill give you a call when i know what i want.Sorry i wont be able to make dade city because im trying to wrap up the season at sunshine.

Admin
01-15-2008, 09:43 PM
bulldogfallon if you would really like to help the site and its members, you should consider sponsoring the site as an advertiser because otherwise, I need you to cut back on pushing products and your business because without sponsors this site wouldn't be possible.

Harlen

pongo
01-15-2008, 11:52 PM
Here are the Motowoz mini atv shocks
http://www.motowoz.com/Mini_Quad_Shocks.html

bulldogfallon
01-16-2008, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by Admin
bulldogfallon if you would really like to help the site and its members, you should consider sponsoring the site as an advertiser because otherwise, I need you to cut back on pushing products and your business because without sponsors this site wouldn't be possible.

Harlen

I understand and agree with your point 100%

You posted this publicly so I repsonded publicly....

Harlen-If you searched many of the other threads you will find numerous violations in the same manner...

In fact, I believe there are a few in this thread alone? That were ignored???

The post above this one is for a link to a nonpaying advertiser and there is also another post that lists the price for a set of shocks and who to contact to get them.

You will have a payment for advertising today, if the rules will be enforced equally for all that post.

I look forward to getting your 2008 media pkg and helping support the ATV Rider community.

Pappy
01-16-2008, 07:56 AM
PLEASE!!! Use the "Report this thread" option!

We fully understand that in the mini world, parts and info are hard to find, especially ones that work and companies that are bonafide and actually offer good service so we are in a conundrum. If we enforce the rules 110%, you all lose the info from those that we feel are helping, however by not enforcing them we harm our sponsors. This section (Mini) is the worst for spam and we delete TONS of spam daily, and we would do more if we could find it!

This entire ordeal is the reason we have been working non stop on the newest project and there WILL be a place for everyone to get the word out about their company, services and products without worry about breaking advertising rules, it is just taking us a tad bit longer then we had hoped.

You all have seen what we have done with the big quads, race coverage, reviews and more, so you know we dont do things rushed or 1/2 azzed so bare with us and I assure you, when we release the new deal, you will be stoked! Until then, work with us, help us and our members as much as you can and we will be giving you something all your own!

Pap