PDA

View Full Version : Two Questions...

IrideMHSC
01-09-2008, 08:17 PM
First... Anyone Running a Houser reduced Bump steer steering stem? If so how do you like them?

Second.... I am running an 04 450r and I have all the suspension set up and now I want to get a houser stem and a set of flex bars... I will more than likely not be running a over sized tank so should i get a plus 1 or plus 2 stem and which height/degree bend should I get with the stem? Any body running these combinations???

bloodmoney23
01-09-2008, 11:18 PM
well from what i got to feel from it so far i like it. I got the +1 houser stem and well pretty much this is the con about it. The stem is so tight on turning that you might as well keep the one you have now and just get a stabilizer. It will wear your arms out faster than vibration and bumps ever would its that tight.

Jersey450R
01-10-2008, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by bloodmoney23
well from what i got to feel from it so far i like it. I got the +1 houser stem and well pretty much this is the con about it. The stem is so tight on turning that you might as well keep the one you have now and just get a stabilizer. It will wear your arms out faster than vibration and bumps ever would its that tight.

take a dremel to the inside of the stem bushing. not alot thought, and then use a buffing bit the smooth it out. reinstall, and go have fun.

400exrider707
01-10-2008, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by Jersey450R
take a dremel to the inside of the stem bushing. not alot thought, and then use a buffing bit the smooth it out. reinstall, and go have fun.

Wouldn't it be easier to just stick a thin washer in between the bushings on one of the bolts?

It's the thick powdercoating on it that makes it hard to turn, you just need to make a little clearance in there somehow.

IrideMHSC
01-10-2008, 09:00 AM
I have a PEP dampner on my stock stem right now and ive already trimmed the steering stops on it to enable the bike to turn tighter but i didnt know if the reduced bump steer stem would be of any benefit? Thanks for the info

bloodmoney23
01-10-2008, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Wouldn't it be easier to just stick a thin washer in between the bushings on one of the bolts?

It's the thick powdercoating on it that makes it hard to turn, you just need to make a little clearance in there somehow.

I think i will try the washer idea. I know exactly what you mean. And if it is too much then ill grind a washer down. Id rather grind something thats .15 at an auto store than something that is 250.00 and sold nowhere around here.

hendershot106
01-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by IrideMHSC
I have a PEP dampner on my stock stem right now and ive already trimmed the steering stops on it to enable the bike to turn tighter but i didnt know if the reduced bump steer stem would be of any benefit? Thanks for the info

ACCORDING TO HOUSER the bump steer stem only helps on 04 05 450rs, you do not need it on the 06 450r because the 06 up spindles do not have the same problem the 04 05 does. if you do use the stem u have to have the 04 05 spindles to match with it....... jen told me i didnt need one for my 06 wouldnt help.... but 05 it helps...... ive never had trouble with my 06 turning anyway... not with my houser lt front end anyway......

Jersey450R
01-10-2008, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by bloodmoney23
I think i will try the washer idea. I know exactly what you mean. And if it is too much then ill grind a washer down. Id rather grind something thats .15 at an auto store than something that is 250.00 and sold nowhere around here.

it will be too loose even if you try the washer idea. i meant gring the bushing, not the stem or frame. the bushings are like 10 bucks.