PDA

View Full Version : open air box

1hotex
01-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Hi, Im new to this.I just put a 440 kit with a stage 2 cam in my bike.Im wondering how bad it is to run the open air box with the choke removed?I ride mainly on trails.Also what would be better a K&N with an outerwear or a UNI?HELP!!!

CarGuy7a
01-09-2008, 07:53 PM
either filter will be fine as long as you keep it maintained. also there are some good ways to run the airbox open with using the existing airbox lid. i personally run the EHS racing lid.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=330241

^^^ this guy ordered just the outerwears from EHS and made his own frame to mount it to the airbox lid. GREAT IDEA!!!:D

i went ahead and ordered the full kit so i could keep the stock lid for when things get really wet and muddy.

here's what i did to my K&N to keep it from packing up with dust.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=304306&highlight=users+please+look

^^^sorry i must have deleted the pictures but if you read it you'll understand what i did.

1hotex
01-09-2008, 08:08 PM
Ok i read what you did.I have questions.
1)i live in a dusty , muddy area.Does the Uni flow as good as the K&N?
2)I saw in one of the replies someone drilled a 1 or 1 3/8 hole in the lid.How would this help?

What i thought about was cutting the white intake tube futher back to get more air.(Been into import cars,always looking for more air LOL) If i cut it under the seat will it suck in mud?

maxfior
01-10-2008, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by 1hotex
Ok i read what you did.I have questions.
1)i live in a dusty , muddy area.Does the Uni flow as good as the K&N?
2)I saw in one of the replies someone drilled a 1 or 1 3/8 hole in the lid.How would this help?

What i thought about was cutting the white intake tube futher back to get more air.(Been into import cars,always looking for more air LOL) If i cut it under the seat will it suck in mud?

You'll want to plug the snorkle hole, I think Nac's makes a plug that you can put in place and then ditch the whole snorkle all together, that's what I'm going to do some day... If you're handy, it's pretty easy and cheap to make your own pre-filter, just like I did. (the link is posted above). You can buy the pre-filter for $17.00 shipped and then you will be all set. It offers good protection from the mud and slop!

Max

CarGuy7a
01-11-2008, 06:53 PM
yeah i've had my EHS lid on for a while. we went ridin' new years day and it was pretty muddy but not too bad, i stopped to check to see if i had any water or mud on the lid and it didn't even have a speck on it.

as for your dust problems... that was why i made a pre filter out of a stock filter for my K&N. that way i wouldn't have to buy an extra K&N for when i gets clogged with dust while i'm out on a ridin trip.

yes the K&N's flow more air. But they are a higher maintenance filter. as long as you take care of keeping it clean and oiled it'll be fine. and if you make a prefilter like i did you've got double protection so when your prefilter gets dirty you just pull it off and put a clean one on and your K&N is still clean.

don't get me wrong the UNI's are good filters too. it's whatever you want to invest in.

1hotex
01-11-2008, 07:08 PM
Well im really thinking of drilling a couple of 1 inch holes near the rear of the airbox and running a K&N with a outerwears.The K&N looks like it would be way more airflow.I have read lots into the UNI and lots of people love them.It just seems like the UNI is a thick filter good for stopping dirt,but how is the flow?
You all have run different setups.Can you feel a power difference between the two?If you cant tell why not run the UNI?Im new and any input will help.

CarGuy7a
01-11-2008, 07:26 PM
i doubt you would notice any difference just riding it. maybe a little bit on a dyno but that's it.

if you're thinking about drilling holes, they make air box vent plugs with foam prefilters built into them.

check em' out. http://www.motosport.com/offroad/productDetail.php?prodId=75961&nav=&sMMY=

1hotex
01-11-2008, 07:35 PM
Well that just changed my mind.If i cant tell any difference i will just use the UNI filter.It seems to be more protection.If they are a toss up then i will go with the more protection.It is mainly a trail bike anyways.I will only go to the track very little.You have been a BIG BIG help.

maxfior
01-11-2008, 07:53 PM
K&N does make good stuff, I agree that they will last longer and such as long as you take care of them. I've had some K&N filters still look new and they are over 10 years old. Just make sure you use the K&N oil and cleaner and they'll be fine. Having said that, I'm happy with my UNI and Twin-Air filters on my EX too!

Max