PDA

View Full Version : Moly Coat / PC Color / Prices???

lawdog800
01-09-2008, 01:18 AM
Pappy,
I have spent hours searching here, and I could not find a price listed for Moly coat a cylinder and head for a 400EX.

I have seen your color link, and I am going nuts with all the possibilities. We are beginning a re-build of a quad for my son, and are having the chassis, swing arm and wheels all done in satin black (Locally - sorry had already made arrangements locally before I heard of you...)

I like the look of the side engine covers being coated, but cant decide on color. He wants to stick with the factory red hubs and red springs on the shocks and we have new red plastic on the way, and he likes the CT Racing Graphics kit (Cant find the old Factory FX kit he really likes). Anyway would red or red vein engine covers look out of place with other red accents, maybe calipers or maybe New sparkle red????? Or should engine stay a silver or gray color with the satin black chassis???

I saw the prices for the calipers and misc brackets, and possible swingarm pivot bolt moly coated as well.

I am new to quads so any advice or rcommendation would be great. Thanks.

Pappy
01-09-2008, 06:29 AM
To moly a cylinder and head is $75 and $50 respectively.

I think red side cases would draw way to much attention to the center of the quad, which wouldnt be a bdad thing if there was a ton of chrome but seeing your going with a dark frame, IMO it would be a bit out of place. I would suggest using a more neutral color such as silvervein, silver metalic, even black would work but would really bring the quad to the dark side again. As far as one of the candy colors, sparkle red would be ok as it's not as bright as a solid red(I would stay away from redvien due to it being dark and out of place with the factory red springs/hubs etc)

Hope this helps, and no worries on the frame, I cant do them all:D

lawdog800
01-12-2008, 10:39 PM
Do you have anything that would look similar to the stock magnesium side covers like on 450 honda dirt bikes???? Ive been thinking now silver or black cases with moly cylinder with the mag. colored side cases and cyl head cover.

What do you recomend for a rear axle, PC or Moly and how much???

Thanks

Pappy
01-12-2008, 11:12 PM
i will look into something that would be close to the cover

id say pc on the axle, and they are 45. i cant garuntee much on a chrome axle as the chrome can fail causing the powder to come off with it, but the ones i have done have held remarkably well for getting the snot beat out of them

lawdog800
01-13-2008, 10:05 AM
I have a stock axle, so chrome wont be an issue.....

lawdog800
01-13-2008, 07:24 PM
Sorry for all the Questions, But as for the Engine cases..Do you need all the bearings removed or does your process not harm them??? Do I need to remove and replace all of them??

Thanks

Pappy
01-13-2008, 07:28 PM
no, i can plug and tape them so dont worry with it

lawdog800
01-13-2008, 09:23 PM
Great thanks,
I will hopefully get everything cleaned up this week and make a final determination on colors. I see you will dissassemble and re-assemble the brake calipers for an extra $5.00 each?? or is $5.00 to take apart and another $5.00 to re-assemble??

I saw a new CBR600RR at the sealer yesterday with the all black chassis wheels and engine and it looked pretty bad *****, so now a toss up between sillver and magnesium color and all black....Oh the stress of it all...lol

lawdog800
01-18-2008, 11:25 PM
Pappy,

Well like always, the $$$ of the build is changing my mind on some wants and needs...lol

Anyway, in regards to the calipers, what do you need done as far as prep on those other than draining fluid. I have never taken one apart, so I was planning on paying the extra 5 for you to do that if you dont mind.

Colors will be red calipers with either satin black or stealth black outer engine cases. The Krylon bandit (lol) is going to have to do the center cases.........

Pappy
01-19-2008, 03:07 AM
its $5 to diss and reassemble them. not $5 each way.

if you spray bomb the center cases, it will peel and fall off withing 2 weeks..if that. leave them bare or i will help you on the cost please! its not worth doing half arsed!!!

lawdog800
01-20-2008, 12:25 PM
Pappy, You have a good point. I guess I will ust slow down a bit, and do it in stages. Its not like I have to finish it all at once, Prob not gonna ride till frosst out in april may anyways... Ill send you the center cases first and side covers later and take it in stages. I am sure it will look beter in the end........

lawdog800
02-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Pappy,
I shipped the engine center cases and brake calipers out today USPS Priority Mail. Tracking # 0307 1790 0003 2713 2593
The Post Office said due to weekend you will probably see them on Monday.

The engine cases do still have the bearings in it, hopefully you can work around those, and the calipers are assembled. I tried to clean them with brake clean, but still look bad, must be years of abuse prior to me owning. When I save more $$$ I will send the outer cases, cylinder and head and cylinder head cover.

CASES: Satin Black (Engine #TE23E-8042024)

CALIPERS: Bright Red (Like Honda stock shock springs and stock older 400ex hubs) caliper brackets, whatever you recommend either red or satin black.

Shawn Hopkins - Peer Pressure Racing
Clinton Twp., MI 48035
(810) 278-0978

Pappy
02-08-2008, 06:51 PM
no problem shawn, i look forward to working on the parts!!

lawdog800
02-12-2008, 07:35 PM
Pappy,
Just making sure the parts arrived and the Post Office didnt lose them.....:D
How bad are they????:eek2:

Pappy
02-13-2008, 05:21 AM
I havent opened the box, but it looks like it arrived in one piece

lawdog800
02-20-2008, 09:21 PM
Hey Pappy,
A quick question / opinion if you dont mind.

On this little project we are working on, I am getting confused with suggestions and opinions from all angles In regards to the engine. Some say make it a 416, while some say only go as big as necessary to clean up the bore. Some say 10:1 and more say 11:1, Some say stock cam, others stage 1 or stage 2 Hot cam.

I had planned on a Stage 1 cam and .040 over instead of the .080 to make it 416, but compression and your opinion on my thought/plan would be greatly appreciated. I know you deal with these things more than I will ever do, so hopefully your thoughts and opinions will help me out here....

The quad is mainly for the 16 yr old boy, but I will ride it some as well, Mainly play riding and trails, MAYBE an occasional track, Im guessing more on a GNCC type set up, but no plans to race it..

Pappy
02-20-2008, 10:51 PM
there will be little noticable power increase from a .40 to .80 overbore. go only as far as needed

my ideal 400 engine would be:

(bore to what is needed) 406 416 etc @ 11-1

HRC Cam( or stage 2 Hot Cams)

Lightened flywheel

I personally have seen this basic combo walk over more built engines and does so reliably

also, i will be starting on your parts over the next few days. i wanted to reach a point in my work flow that allowed me to take my time on them due to the bearings, and i have toio redo a "how to " thread on calipers so yours will be used:p

lawdog800
02-21-2008, 07:35 AM
No problem on the parts, and thanks for the info on the engine.

Another question though....Where do you find a HRC cam?????
Any specific model or info about it I need to know to find or get one. If HRC is factory Honda like I think it is, I like factory pieces.
I dumped and boat load at the dealer buying all new valves, springs seats retainers ect for this build. The kid that had this quad before pounded it and prob didnt change oil much, so just being cautious. If you see a bearing that you think is bad, let me know. I know they are $$$ to replace, and they looked ok so didnt want to change them, but valves were a just do it part.

How cool is it My parts get to be celebrities.....lol Then I can read the "How-To" section and learn too.

Thanks again

Pappy
02-21-2008, 10:25 AM
I would direct you to give colby at C&D racing a call and ask about the cam specifics. it has been a some time since i have had to mess with any part #'s etc. the stage 2 works well and if i remember correctly the two are very close.

and props to you for enjoying the sport with your son, its what i like to see!!!

lawdog800
02-21-2008, 01:00 PM
Thanks, I will check with C&D... The quad sport is fun, but more we got into it for off season training for the kids Sno-Cross racing. Son and daughter, maybe both daughters next year, since the little one will be 4 and can start next year racing, Race Sno-cross in the WPSA Michigan Regionals. There are some pics in the 400ex post I started about the quad build titled "Let it begin..Extreme makeover"..... Also pics on our website, which I need to update..........
Thanks again

lawdog800
02-28-2008, 05:58 PM
Pappy,
Wondered if you got the cases and calipers done or will they be after you get back???? Doesn't really matter, just curious to watch for them or not.......

We have a BIG race this weekend.. The boy is currently in 2nd place in points, 2 points ahead of third. If he can hang on to top 3 after this weekend, which is a double race due to having to make up a snowed out race. (yeah I know..how do you snow out a snowmobile race....lol). Anyway if he finishes top 3 after this weekend, he gets an invite to go to the WPSA National Sno-Cross Finals at Lake Geneva Wisconsin on the weekend of the 14th to compete in an Affiliate Championship round where the top 3 from Michigan, Wisconsin, New York and Minnesota all race for a national championship.....He has been riding great this year and going HUGE on the jumps, so hopefully he will maintain....

lawdog800
03-10-2008, 05:57 PM
Pappy,
Just a couple quick questions...I am getting ready, prob next week, to get the cylinder and head, swing arm bolt, side cases and valve cover boxed up to send out. As for the other two engine mount bolts, do you recommend or do you even do them in Moly, or just paint the heads and never seize them. Also the aluminum spacers for the upper mount. Also do recommend moly on the spindles????? They would look better in black for sure.

I also saw another quad on this site where he had his cylinder and head painter or coated black, but the outer edges were nice and silver, which highlighted the fins very nicely. will this work with the moly coat?? or would it take away the protective properties of the moly??? Just curious...

Also an UPDATE.... We finished our WPSA Michigan Reginal Sno-Cros season with the boy finishing 3rd in points in 2 classes, and his sister finishing 3rd in her girls class. She went out with a BANG, by going 2-1-1 in qualifying and 1st in her final, Her first final win of the year.. This coming weekend, we wil be at the WPSA national Finals as the boy did qualify for the affiliate championship round.........

(Note: Did you hear the rumors about WPSA????)

lawdog800
03-12-2008, 07:00 AM
Pappy, Any updates on the parts???

Pappy
03-12-2008, 07:25 AM
I will be picking up the center cases tonight from having the bearings removed.

awesome news on the kids racing!

I can polish them(large engine bolts) if you'd like, or moly them being they are big enough for me to work on without losing them forever in the blast cabinet

We moly spindles all the time

"finning" the cylinder is for looks, and it does look good if thats what you like. it wont hurt or help anything if its coated etc

no rumors here, ive been on the road so i dont know anything, fill me in:p

lawdog800
03-12-2008, 07:35 AM
Sending you a PM

Ok on the bolts, I will be sending them with the other parts next week, spindles Im considering as well. We are headed out this afternoon for Wisconsin, and the Kids are fired up. We also just saw last night that SuperStar Tucker Hibbert is going to be there racing this weekend, trying to win the Pro Super Stock Points Championship....

lawdog800
03-17-2008, 05:53 PM
Hey Pappy,

Wondered how the parts coming??? We had a rough weekend racing, blew a Fox float friday, Fox truck had rebuilt for Sat, but he over jumped a double and slammed into face of next one and busted his chin open...OOPS....Anyway I am taking cylinder out to machinist tonight, and wanted to send out parts hopefully when I get cylinder back..
Thanks......

Pappy
03-17-2008, 06:17 PM
great timing. your parts will be completed wednesday and should be back to you a few days after that!

lawdog800
03-17-2008, 06:50 PM
Great thanks, Let me know how much I owe so far........
Also a quote for PC on 2 outer cases, valve cover,or do I offer a march adness price????

Pappy
03-17-2008, 07:03 PM
you can pony up a price if you'd like

lawdog800
03-20-2008, 09:03 PM
Payment has been sent.............

Do you need a shipping address????
Same I shipped from.....
Thanks

Pappy
03-20-2008, 09:48 PM
yes sir, if you could pm or post it i would appreciate it. most of the boxes arrive here in non reusable shape:p

lawdog800
03-21-2008, 03:38 PM
PM Sent with address and March Madness Price offer......
Thanks

lawdog800
03-25-2008, 08:54 PM
Pappy,
I sent out the outer engine case covers, valve cover, cylinder, head, swing arm bolt and the three other engine mount bolts and corresponding spacers today VIA UPS Ground. You should have them thursday.

The side covers and cylinder head are PC Satin Black, and the cylinder, head and bolts/spacers are for Moly

I forgot to include the 3 engine mount bolts in my march madness price, please be easy on me on those..:D

Thanks....
Shawn Hopkins
Clinton Twp., MI

Pappy
03-25-2008, 09:05 PM
no worries bud

lawdog800
03-26-2008, 06:43 PM
Hey Pappy,
Did the calipers and center cases get sent out?? What shipper and did you have a tracking ##, Just curious. I wont be home until late and I wnat to tell the kids to be aware to watch for them if they are going to be here in next couple days..
thanx

Pappy
03-27-2008, 09:03 AM
no they sure didnt. i forgot the calipers were to be reassembled but they re completed now and should be there friday or monday

lawdog800
03-27-2008, 07:11 PM
Ok, Thanks......
Hopefully the other stuff arrived to you today......

Pappy
03-27-2008, 07:29 PM
yes sir, other box is here now, finished work leaves tomorrow

lawdog800
04-01-2008, 11:07 AM
Pappy, I go the first set of parts today, They look great..
A question on the cases..will mineral spirits or brake clean hurt the PC????? I want to make sure before I wash up the cases, or should I just use soad and water?????

Pappy
04-01-2008, 12:31 PM
simple green is all we use. anything harsher can possibly haze it especially being green and a non gloss color.

your other parts are being worked on now and im shooting for the end of the week if all goes well

lawdog800
04-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Ok, Thanks...
Also there was a baggie with some greasy bushings?? inside said yamaha I think in a bag with my engine case bearings... You need that stuff, I dont think it was mine...

Pappy
04-01-2008, 01:41 PM
they should have been your old bearings. i dont have any other bearings here and i usually try and return anything wether it needs replaced or not so you can see them etc.

lawdog800
04-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Pappy,
Can you send me a total if you know it, so I can get the pay pal ready and over to you so when the parts are done you can just ship them.

I know we had the March Madness price but there was the 3 extra bolts, plus shipping...

Thanks
Shawn

Pappy
04-02-2008, 03:44 PM
the total you requested is fine, no worries on the 3 extra;)

lawdog800
04-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Shipping cost to add???

Pappy
04-02-2008, 07:01 PM
$15 will cover it

lawdog800
04-02-2008, 07:34 PM
Payment was sent........I will be out of town and may not have computer access, so I wanted it all paid so when you are done, you don't have to wait on me..
Thanks again Pappy

Shipping:
Peer Pressure Racing
Shawn Hopkins
23523 Linne St.
Clinton Twp., MI 48035

lawdog800
04-07-2008, 02:08 PM
Hey Pappy,
I am back in town, and wondered what the status was on the parts.
Thanks

Pappy
04-07-2008, 02:11 PM
everything except the 3 bolts/nuts and spacers is done(I dropped the gun and broke it but new one is due here today)

if it shows up, i will finish these little parts and have it shipped out tomorrow for ya!

lawdog800
04-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Excellant, Thanks...Sux about the gun though:(

Warm weather arrived here for a few days, so spring fever has hit, that and we had our Sno-X awards banquet last weekend, so now Sno-X is OFFICIALLY over for the season.......Time to go play in the dirt......

Pappy
04-07-2008, 04:54 PM
lol..one racing right into another season..gotta love it!

the gun is fine, i broke the cup that holds th moly:p its all completed now!

lawdog800
04-09-2008, 08:23 AM
The "hardware" is what really makes racing fun......lol

Did the parts go out???
thanks again...

Pappy
04-09-2008, 08:25 AM
yes sir, everything is on its way

lawdog800
04-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Great thanks........

I may have a bumper for you before too long as well..I see that new Pro Armor ProXC on Hornetgod13's quad that you did, and the boy and I like that one better than the the one we had planned........

lawdog800
04-10-2008, 09:14 PM
Parts arrived today, they look good, thanks Pappy