PDA

View Full Version : pros/cons wolverine 450

randallp1
01-08-2008, 10:31 PM
i want to buy the new 450 wolverine but have a few questions. is it more for speed or mud? my buddies go mud ridding and they dont really sink the bikes but they ride through some kinda serious stuff. i really like the way it looks and its a yami so im pretty much going to get it. i just want yall to tell me the pros and cons and all the things you love about the bike and what you think would make me buy the grizzly.

TheNewn
01-11-2008, 07:23 AM
In my opinion, the Wolverine is a giant pile of crap wrapped in some flashy tin foil.

That 'niche' of the market is much better served by the Renegade series. I've checked them out at my dealership, and have not seen them in action so i cant be sure. But i have seen the Renegades in action, my cousin has one.

In my opinion, they are far too heavy for that underpowered 450. not to mention the 350 is it? model. If you must get a 'sport 4x4' get a Renegade. But i'd much rather have a Grizzly 450 than a Wolverine 450. At least i'll be able to carry gear, plow, pull a trailer, have a nice winch. AND THEY HAVE IRS.

The Wolverine does NOT have IRS, which will blow for mudding because of the lower ground clearance.

Go for the Grizzly, or the Renegade 500

Just my opinion.

ibthegator
01-11-2008, 07:35 AM
I kinda agree with the above, although I don't feel the wolverine is a pile of crap it is not all it is cut out to be.
It may look hot but you would be better off with a grizzly.
I was on the ropes with the 800 renegade x recently but i want to wait a few years to see how they hold up. I decided to modify my 700 grizz instead.
If you can get a new grizz 660 you would be the poop.
Of course the 700 eps is even better but for the budget minded the 660 is a good deal and some dealers can't move them so deals are out there.
Is this your first quad?

randallp1
01-11-2008, 08:24 AM
no i have a drag bike and i want something fun to climb hills and chill on the dunes

renae
02-02-2008, 06:56 PM
I have the wolvy and love it. I have raced it and for power it is ok. It is not the fastes atv. The one thing that I really liked about it is when you are not in the mud you can take it out of 4 wheel drive and just have it in 2 wheel.

ibthegator
02-02-2008, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by randallp1
no i have a drag bike and i want something fun to climb hills and chill on the dunes

Do you mean "the dunes" in LA.
I took my kids there last summer, and prolly headed back this summer.

Hondamaster5505
02-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Personally, I think the new ones suck!

Get an 95-05 350

We have a 2001, and heres the lowdown.

Its FASTER than the new 450 wolverines. It actually has some more get-up-and-go then we thought it would. The semi-auto is nicer to have then the stupid CVT on the newer wolverines.

We plow with it. It does so well you couldn't even tell it was a 350 with an open front:eek2:

We mud/trail it. We were riding behind out friends grizzly, and went through all the same stuff he did. Only one we didnt because we stopped by accident and got stuck.

Overall, if you get a wolvy, get the 95-05.

We're in the process of trying to find a 660 or some kind of big-bore right now for more power and the fact they have nicer riding suspension. But the wolvy is an excellent 4x4.

Kennethyfz450
02-15-2008, 05:39 PM
Your Wrong.
The 450 is a lot quicker than the 350. Depending if we ride or not this weekend I might get some video footage. Not saying the 350 is slow , but the new automatic 450 is quicker. There is nothing stupid about CVT.

Some people can take a honda 300 4x4 behind a grizzly so stating that your 350 followed a grizzly owner through a couple mud holes doesn't really explain anything.

Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
Personally, I think the new ones suck!

Get an 95-05 350

We have a 2001, and heres the lowdown.

Its FASTER than the new 450 wolverines. It actually has some more get-up-and-go then we thought it would. The semi-auto is nicer to have then the stupid CVT on the newer wolverines.

We plow with it. It does so well you couldn't even tell it was a 350 with an open front:eek2:

We mud/trail it. We were riding behind out friends grizzly, and went through all the same stuff he did. Only one we didnt because we stopped by accident and got stuck.

Overall, if you get a wolvy, get the 95-05.

We're in the process of trying to find a 660 or some kind of big-bore right now for more power and the fact they have nicer riding suspension. But the wolvy is an excellent 4x4.

Hondamaster5505
02-15-2008, 05:43 PM
Ive ridden both, and personally I think the newer 450's are slower.

I also know multiple people that sold their older 350's for newer 450's and were disapointed becuase they were slower.

The only reason I say CVT is stupid, is because its supposed to be a SPORT utility. By taking away the sporty shifter and giving it a CVT, it loses some of its sport appeal.

The grizzly comment was just to say that wolverines arent bad mudding.

Kennethyfz450
02-15-2008, 05:58 PM
The white 450 is faster than this black 350 wolverine.

The 350 may feel faster because you are shifting gears , but in an acceleration match the 450 will win hands down.

Kennethyfz450
02-15-2008, 05:59 PM
By the way they have the same tires.
Ben the owner of the 350 bought tires that come on the wolverine 450 after riding his mom's wolverine 450 (as seen in the picture)

Hondamaster5505
02-15-2008, 06:10 PM
ill have to ride another one, but i think the 350 feels so much sportier.

wolviegal
03-01-2008, 02:56 PM
Just my subject..... since I have the '06 450.

I ride with a girl who has the 350 (not sure which year) and the 450 walks all over it.

You're right, it does not have IRS..... put some bigger tires and clutch kit and you're golden for the ground clearance. There is also some pros to this..... I've never had any axle problems!! I have yet to be stranded in the bush, like so many other quads have because of a busted axle. It's like a Ford..... you can bag the crap out of it, and it stands strong.

The speed issue...... I have yet to come across another 450 4x4 that even compares to it. It's light, and very quick off the draw. My husbands pimped out Grizz 660 eats my dust off the start line. No need to say who makes it to the finish line first, but I'm not far behind.

Top speed..... never been an issue. Since I put in the PowerNow, my top speed (river riding in a foot of snow over some ice) was 52 MPH. I've yet to try it on dry ground.

Mudding...... there is no mud hole I won't hit. I may not come out the cleanest, but 9/10 times I make it through without a pull. It's light, snappy and throwing your weight around on it actually makes a difference. I'm a light weight..... 130 pounds..... I try riding my hubbies quad, and I'm like a feather on the thing, as opposed to the brick I am on my quad.

Trail riding..... not a quad I would recommend for leisure family rides. Not the smoothest ride out there.

Size...... it's narrower and lighter than the big bores. When everyone else is rolling into camp on fumes..... I'm laughing with a 1/4 tank of fuel left.

Every quad has it's pros and cons and if you're looking for something fast, reliable, and a blast to mud with...... get the Wolverine. The 700's and the 650's might leave you behind in a clearing...... but when it comes to mudding you can nail almost every hole they do without getting stuck.

TOPDAWG
03-23-2008, 07:00 PM
The biggest problem with a Wolverine is no diff lock.

You want to mud and go tanking...get a Grizzly.

maxitout77
04-05-2008, 10:05 AM
Actually owning one, I figure I'll chime in.

CVT: yes, its slower than the older 350's wih semi-auto. A clutch kit will be added shortly to wake it up.

The lack of locking diff is a downfall, but as wolvie gal said, there is not mud hole I wont try. The hangup on the rear diff is minimal, the taller maxxis tires it comes with do a good job of providing clearance.

and as far as a the Grizzly, or the Renegade 500, my out the door price of $5200 sits just fine with me ;)

hungus07trx400
04-05-2008, 10:41 AM
My Father bought my Mother an 07 Wolverine, and I have mixed feelings with it. It's compact so in tight trails its fun, I have gotten it hung up before on in the rear since it is not irs. It's quicker than I thought it would be, but I don't have much for comparison in that same motor department. One thing i really don't like about it is the body roll you feel in tight corners. I realize its not a sport quad, but we have several other utility quads with IRS and they just feel more balanced. The Tires are pretty good, lots of traction, and pretty good in mud. Like was said before, it's not the smoothest ride, and i found my knees gettin banged around alot on the side of the tank. But For what it is, i think it's a pretty decent choice. I think the CVT is misleading, I think it just feels slower, I doubt that it actually is. Smoothing out all those shifts you would otherwise have to make might make it feel slower.

paul0227
04-12-2008, 07:12 PM
I have had a 450 wolverine for a year and put on 550 miles on all sorts of terrain. I ride with friends who have Polaris 500 and 700 Sportsman and another who has a Honda Forman. When it comes to going through snow, mud and swamps I am able to make it through where they get stuck. The wolverine is at least 100 pounds less than any other utility quad. The big square rear tires really help with traction. The machine is light enough that the rider can shift their weight to help get better traction.

When I do get it stuck I can usually get off and push it out by myself, the other guys need a tow. It doesn’t have a low range and really doesn’t need it. It does just fine on rock climbs and big hill runs. It has enough power to turn the tires when I am hooked up trying to pull out a stuck Sportsman. It has no trouble pulling around a 1500 lb trailer.

I will say that it could use more power. I am looking at getting a pipe, new filter and jet kit to push out about 10% more power. The solid rear axle is more fun than the independent rear. It is much easier to put it into a four wheel slide around corners on trails. This also seems give it a more stable feel. It has plenty of ground clearance setup stock.

It is a smaller fun machine to beat on.

TOPDAWG
04-12-2008, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by paul0227
I have had a 450 wolverine for a year and put on 550 miles on all sorts of terrain. I ride with friends who have Polaris 500 and 700 Sportsman and another who has a Honda Forman. When it comes to going through snow, mud and swamps I am able to make it through where they get stuck. The wolverine is at least 100 pounds less than any other utility quad. The big square rear tires really help with traction. The machine is light enough that the rider can shift their weight to help get better traction.

When I do get it stuck I can usually get off and push it out by myself, the other guys need a tow. It doesn’t have a low range and really doesn’t need it. It does just fine on rock climbs and big hill runs. It has enough power to turn the tires when I am hooked up trying to pull out a stuck Sportsman. It has no trouble pulling around a 1500 lb trailer.

I will say that it could use more power. I am looking at getting a pipe, new filter and jet kit to push out about 10% more power. The solid rear axle is more fun than the independent rear. It is much easier to put it into a four wheel slide around corners on trails. This also seems give it a more stable feel. It has plenty of ground clearance setup stock.

It is a smaller fun machine to beat on.

Funny, my buddy's kid has a Wolverine and he gets stuck trying to follow us in the mud all the time. We end up pulling him at least 3-4 times a run. He sure does try though. Diff lock and IRS is a must in any decent mud.

TheNewn
04-12-2008, 07:49 PM
Probably because he's a KID and doesn't know how to ride...it all depends on the riders...

In my humble opinion, Wolverine's suck some hard core testicle.

paul0227
04-13-2008, 01:09 PM
I have another buddy with 450 grizzly who has 1500 hard core miles on it. He has only used the diff lock a hand full of times. If you are riding a heavy sow the diff lock may help out when you are going slow in mud. When I keep my Wolverine moving and use my body weight to throw it around I have made it through more mud than the guys on the traditional fat heavy utility quads. The diff lock is not necessary on this light of a machine.

The diff lock only helps out when you are going real slow or stopped, not the way to make it through mud. Shed some weight off of your quad, keep your speed up and don't worry about a diff lock.

TOPDAWG
04-13-2008, 04:38 PM
The kid is probably 17 or 18 and rides the heck out of that Wolverine. He can toss it around all he wants, he cannot follow us in the mud half the time. That's just the way it is.

If you guys think a lighter machine with a straight axle and no diff lock will out mud or even come close to an IRS machine with diff lock, you're badly mistaken.

Great quad for mud puddles and such though.

Also, I can toss my 600 pound machine really well. :macho

rundrave
04-14-2008, 11:25 AM
if you want a sport ute and dont want to spend alot of $$$ on the renegade, what about a scrambler?

Same price, absolutely out performs the wolverine in every category, and wins in absolute fun factor. Not to mention it has TRUE 4wd instead of the 3-wheel wonder wolverine.

But for what your truly asking for I think the Grizzly would be ideal, and the power steering is a great bonus to have.

flipout31
04-24-2008, 07:14 PM
My wolverine came in yesturday. I took it for a drive. I have to wait to until next week to get it because I am not financing the atv.......I drove lots of atv's before deciding on this. I originally was going to get a 330 trailblazer, then I thought about a new 350 woverine, then I drove a 500 scrambler and decided to go with the 450 wolverine. It felt the best to me. My friend just bought a 2007 450 sportsman and the wolverine is faster than the sportsman. I do love the way the sportsman rides. It rides like a cadilac. He just got it Saturday and he has to keep it at my house because I have the trails. Im putting more hours on it than he is.

intoashes83
11-20-2008, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by TheNewn
[
In my opinion, they are far too heavy for that underpowered 450. not to mention the 350 is it? model. If you must get a 'sport 4x4' get a Renegade. But i'd much rather have a Grizzly 450 than a Wolverine 450. At least i'll be able to carry gear, plow, pull a trailer, have a nice winch. AND THEY HAVE IRS.
[/B]
How can you say the engine is underpowered when it is the same exact engine in the Wolverine 450 that is in the Grizzly 450. The grizzly is a powerful machine in itself and weighs more than the Wolverine. The Wolverine is lighter. Please explain to me how the engine is underpowered for the bike. Also, it is possible to add a winch, plow, and you can even get a full size rackbag onto the machine using the grab bar that comes stock. I am not trying to be a jerk, but I disagree with your comment.

TheNewn
11-20-2008, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by intoashes83
How can you say the engine is underpowered when it is the same exact engine in the Wolverine 450 that is in the Grizzly 450. The grizzly is a powerful machine in itself and weighs more than the Wolverine. The Wolverine is lighter. Please explain to me how the engine is underpowered for the bike. Also, it is possible to add a winch, plow, and you can even get a full size rackbag onto the machine using the grab bar that comes stock. I am not trying to be a jerk, but I disagree with your comment.

Seeing as how your sig says you own a Wolv. 450, its no wonder you're defending it.

As far as the motor, the grizzly 450 is a utility quad, not meant to be in the SPORT utility quad category like the Wolverine. They are both kinda underpowered, but more so the wolverine because of what it was meant to do. Dont get mad, its my OPINION.

If you're going to plow, haul, and 'winch' stuff, why would you get the Wolverine to begin with? The Grizzly already has the stuff to do all of that, and it has a 2" receiver hitch to boot. I dont believe the wolverine does.

To top it all off, the Grizzly has IRS, which is a huge feature. Again, my opinion.

I believe you'd notice the benefit of the IRS on the grizzly way before you'd notice the fact that it weighs a bit more than the solid axle wolverine.

Edit: the Grizzly also has the features for 4x4ing that the wolverine does not. such as lockable front diff and such.

intoashes83
11-20-2008, 07:59 PM
i agree with you. yes, the grizzly is an entire 4x4 utility quad. But, for people desiring a sporty 4x4 machine, the wolverine is always an option. I am not defending it because I have it, I am defending it because it is out there, and while it may not be the best of the best sport/utility machines out there, it does do its job given the factory given capabilities. On command 2 or 4wd, automatic transmission, in my eyes a decent suspension, i personally think the seat is comfortable, and in 4by it is decent on gas. It does what I want it to do and keeps up with my friends Grizzly 700. I have equal respect for both machines. I wasnt trying to come across as a dick, so please do not take me for one.

wolv450Chev5300
11-28-2008, 03:37 PM
i had my wolverine for 11mths now and i love it. it has over 2300km and no problem at all and i ride it very hard, most of the time its wide open. Befor i did the upgrades i would keep up whit any one on the trails 800 outlander, 500,400 kawi, 500 suzuki ,700 griz,450 kodiak, 450trx. The thing is that on the trails u dont have to go 160kph and on our trails max ur going to go is 70kph and the wolvy will do it just fine max out at about 80-85.
- On a drag any sport quad will take u but they dont have 4x4 for the mud
- On a drag whit a any utility quads up to maybe 600's u will get them till u get ur top end then they catche up
After i added the clutch kit, jet kit, air filter and exhaust on a drag i would be in front from 0 to 30 then sidebyside from 30 to 60 whit my friend's 700 griz
- Every one i know that has or have had a renegade 800 or 500 say they are power full and fast by the reliability is some thing else
plus around here they go for about 10000$ (500) and 12000 to 13000 for the 800's
my wolverine was 6200 + 900 for the parts installed

wolv450Chev5300
11-28-2008, 03:53 PM
it has a different carb,frame,plastics,suspension and rear end
75 lbs lighter than the Griz
feels sportier whit a stairt axel and better for cornering
easier to jump/wheelie (can comfortably get 3ft of air)
faster of the line than the Griz
the wolvy could use a difflock and semi auto would be nice
should be available whit the 700 or bigger engine
ALOT more reliability than the Renegade($$$) and Scrambler(has the same look since they started)

ss454
12-22-2008, 04:42 PM
The Wolverine 450 is not a pile of junk as some of you seem to think. I've had plenty of seat time on most any quad on the market as my family loves to ride and I still chose the Wolverine 450 when it came time to buy a new quad. It's not perfect and the only way I would call it perfect would be with a 700EFI, Diff lock and 25" tires while maintaining the same weight and balance. I'd be willing to bet that would be a daunting task honestly.

As for the pros and cons they're simple to me. First it's very easy to manuver in tight woods. I've put more seat time on the V-Twin Prairie 650, 700 and BF 750 than any other series of quad and I can tell you the Wolverine feels extremely nimble in comparison. Second is how well it climbs hills. It just feels like that was exactly what they designed it to do. Third is the price as I paid $5000 out the door for mine brand new. Now the cons are it's light on power, no diff lock and 23" tires. I actually like the tires but being 23" tall they kill the ground clearance. I had Hauck Racing machine my sheave and gained 5mph on the topend and picked up HUGE in the bottom end. I also installed a UNI filter and Dial-A-Jet. These mods were less than $250 total and were really noticable gains. It will now keep up with the Prairie 700 until about 40mph. It feels like it has a clutch kit down low. I'm fairly certain they can do the mod to any of the Yamaha CVT quads and the price is right at $110 plus shipping.

In the end if you want v-twin power buy the v-twin but if you love to rip around in the woods, want good fender protection an automatic transmission and 4wd then the Wolverine should suit you fine.