PDA

View Full Version : O ring or none O ring chain

Ripitupfilms
01-08-2008, 06:57 PM
I moved to florida for a little bit and i need a new chain really bad with the sand i was woundering if i should get a Oring or a non o ring.

the only reason im asking is because i wound think the sand would get stuck into the oring and grind schit away.:confused:

the Z Man
01-08-2008, 07:00 PM
Actually the o-ring keeps sand out.
Mx or drag racing = non oring
everything else, o-ring

trx400EXtreme
01-08-2008, 07:02 PM
is it true that O ring chains rob a tiny bit of power?:ermm:

the Z Man
01-08-2008, 07:07 PM
It is true, but the non- oring does not last as long..

Waddell
01-08-2008, 07:13 PM
Hands down o-ring chains. I put a non o-ring on my bike one time and it didn't last a1/10 as long as the o-ring chain.

GPracer2500
01-08-2008, 08:19 PM
o-ring

kfx400rider03
01-08-2008, 08:43 PM
i would go with o-ring
i bought a none o-ring the past spring and it last about 2-3 months

01-09-2008, 06:18 AM
I have a o-ring chain and I live in Florida. Ally uo have to do is regular maintainance just spray some lube on it every ride or so. I still have the same chain since 2004.

Flynbryan19
01-09-2008, 07:09 AM
If you ride strictly in the sand I would recommend a NON o-ring chain. When maintained properly a non o-ring chain will outlast it. Just make sure you buy a QUALITY chain. I would recommend a DID ERT chain. Its the best non-oring on the market.

Ripitupfilms
01-09-2008, 07:19 AM
im getting mixed feelings on what to do. i was told no o ring if maintained is better in the sand. But all my life i have ran o ring chain and know how well they last.

GPracer2500
01-09-2008, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Flynbryan19
If you ride strictly in the sand I would recommend a NON o-ring chain. When maintained properly a non o-ring chain will outlast it. Just make sure you buy a QUALITY chain. I would recommend a DID ERT chain. Its the best non-oring on the market.

That has not been my experience.

I haven't run a DID ERT before though. However, all the O-ring chains I've tried--from a budget PD to a DID ERV3--have worked great in the sand. Many of my bikes ONLY get ridden in the sand and I've had those O-ring chains last for many years. The last non-o-ring chain I tried (again, only used in the sand) was a disaster. Although a DID ERT might have lasted longer, I can't imagine its performance would be so superior to every other non-o-ring as to eclipse the performance of even an average o-ring. At least not on my bikes in the places I ride.....and yes, I maintain my chains.

Flynbryan19
01-09-2008, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
That has not been my experience.

I haven't run a DID ERT before though. However, all the O-ring chains I've tried--from a budget PD to a DID ERV3--have worked great in the sand. Many of my bikes ONLY get ridden in the sand and I've had those O-ring chains last for many years. The last non-o-ring chain I tried (again, only used in the sand) was a disaster. Although a DID ERT might have lasted longer, I can't imagine its performance would be so superior to every other non-o-ring as to eclipse the performance of even an average o-ring. At least not on my bikes in the places I ride.....and yes, I maintain my chains.

Fair enough. Everyone has different experiences/opinions. ;)

GPracer2500
01-09-2008, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Flynbryan19
Fair enough. Everyone has different experiences/opinions. ;)

I'm with ya' there.

Sometimes there'll be some factor influencing the results that we don't even realize is having a significant effect. So for each specific combination of bike, rider, maintenance routine, and riding location it's hard to say for sure what parts will work best without finding out for yourself through trail and error. The last non-o-ring chain I bought was specifically for that purpose--->to see if it could work for me on my 250r duner. I wasn't happy with how that turned out. Meanwhile, all my o-rings keep on chuggin' with little fuss. So I'm sticking with o-rings from here on out.

Luckily chains and sprockets don't cost all that much and no matter what one gets, you'll get use out of it. So there's not much harm in running a non-o-ring just to see what happens. If it works satisfactorily, great. If it doesn't, now you know.

chad502ex
01-11-2008, 12:02 PM
the new DID o-ring marketed as the least resistive o-ring chain on the market is awesome.... i've used it on the dyno, in the mud foothills of PA, you name it,... even flexes like non oring,... great for 60+ too ;)

costs more but worth it imo.....

NJ450rider
01-12-2008, 10:50 PM
DID X RING 520 ATV chain

Worth every penny of that 100 dollars it costs. They stretch once and thats it. than they last forever. Ive had one on my 450r for two years now not one problem. been in all kinds of sand/mud/dirt etc. O ring chains keep the dirt out with proper lube once every couple rides.