PDA

View Full Version : steep hill lost momentum advice.

casey_lamm
01-08-2008, 06:15 PM
What does the manual say is the procedure to get out without killing yourself or the bike if you go up a steep hill and lose all forward momentum?

"THE ShoP"
01-08-2008, 06:28 PM
if you start to lose momentum clutch it up a little never let off even if the front end gets lite on you just feather the clutch a bit...or turn around..lol

hornetgod13
01-08-2008, 06:31 PM
I doubt the manual covers this topic. I have been on the winning and losing end on the steep hill climbs. I have 2 steering stems, 1 pair of handle bars, 1 set of hand Guards, and one pair of grips I had to replace on 2 steep hill tumbles. Fortunately, I've learned to listen to the motor RPMs and ensure I'm in the right gear and stand up and lean over the handle bars. The absolute key is to keep your momentum up. Climbing sand hills is cool because if you lose RPMs or momentum you can whip around and go back down the hill before it comes to a stop. Trails that you can't turn around on require a different approach. If you lose momentum do not blip the throttle or the quad could flip back on you. Right as it comes to a stop lock down the brakes or turn sideways. Be prepared to bail off. There's nothing more depressing than seeing your quad tumbling down a hill other than it rolling over you on the way down.

AutoRoc
01-08-2008, 07:56 PM
It's never failed me yet...

Bail off the passenger side(haha) while holding the front brake WHEN you come to a stop. Rears will be in gear and will be locked. If it starts to slide backwards, all you can do is hold the front brake and steer it from the side. Looks very funny...

If it doesn't slide backwards with all 4 brakes locked...good. Now release the rears by going neutral and walk the bike down SLOWLY. Use the front brakes to keep it slow.

No way I'd sit there and let it come back onto me. You might as well drop it from 5 feet onto your chest.

hornetgod's approach makes sense also. Stall the bike and turn it sideways as much as you can. On gravel this may be the only way to save the bike because it's definately going to slide down, you can try to save it before it tumbles to it's death.. Once stalled, the rears are locked and you could bail off and maybe pull the front of the bike around to point down hill, hop back on and go down. It would require a lot of agility if you're doing this WHILE sliding down a greavel hill...!! hehe

the manual says BE CAREFUL WHILE RIDING. Steer hills are not being careful...hahaha:)

Barrymaxx
01-08-2008, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by "THE ShoP"
if you start to lose momentum clutch it up a little never let off even if the front end gets lite on you just feather the clutch a bit...or turn around..lol
We learn the hard way with coal hill climbs. haha:p

My technique is find a suitable gear. (usually second or third depending on steepness and length) Get a good place to get up to speed. Stand up, slightly leaning forward. Then its wide open from then on. If the front gets light, let off, BUT DO NOT GET OUT OF IT TOTALLY. Your done if you do.

People that are afraid to keep in pinned up the hill usually bog down by the top and come down backwards.

kolby2004
01-09-2008, 11:08 AM
What if the issue is that your loosing momentum and your front end is not coming up, but your rears are spinning? Caused from not having enough room to get speed.

chris46250r
01-09-2008, 11:24 AM
There are so many different variables to hill climbing that nobody can tell you how to climb a hill. I have made the fourwheeler spin out and dig a hole to hold it. I've hooked a front tire around a small tree to hold it. I myself have grabbed a hold of a tree and held it till someone got up or down the hill to help. I've been dang near over and just took a gamble and shot the fourwheeler over and let my @$$ just roll off the back. Most of hillclimbing is being comfortable with what you are riding, experience, knowing whats around you and some luck thrown in on top of that.

Brauap
01-09-2008, 01:01 PM
Also, if you want a simi-perminet soulition, drop a touth or two! ;)

jesseweaver
01-09-2008, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Barrymaxx
We learn the hard way with coal hill climbs. haha:p

i 2nd that. i dont do a lot of big hills but my cousin flipped it on a huge coal pile, he rolled to the bottom along with his bike, and it messed his side/hip up really really bad and messed his bike up bad too. thats what led him to sell it.

jesseweaver
01-09-2008, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by chris46250r
Most of hillclimbing is being comfortable with what you are riding, experience, knowing whats around you and some luck thrown in on top of that.

and not being scared to watch you bike flip down the hill with parts flying everywhere and $3000 in repairs. which is why i dont do hill climbs.

mat1977
01-09-2008, 05:57 PM
This is what I do...Once I convince myself that I going to climb it. I hit it 3/4 throtle in 2nd or 3rd,then if things get sketchy,I pin it and I put my upper body over the bars and hope for the best.If you bog and get worried click it down one gear and whip back down the hill and try again!:D

RATPACK Z400
01-09-2008, 08:04 PM
Always 2nd gear never 3rd unless you have some serios mods, On tight trails. If your not going to make it look for tree to hook front tire too done it and saved my quad from a huge fall I,ll turn as soon as I feel there no chance of making it and take my chances going down hill though the woods thats me though scared myself plenty of times. key is dont go up huge hills if you are not experenced at it, start small and work your way up to the huge hills. one mistake can cost you thousands in repairs and your life. I ride the coal mines in PA as well .

kevina2017
01-10-2008, 11:19 AM
If I am not going to make it up the hill i just use my front brakes and a little bit of my rear if its really steep. And ride the fourwheeler down the hill backwards. Works for me most of the time. Be careful not to hammer on your rear brakes when your rolling backwards or it will come over backwards on you. Just my opinion

dariusld
01-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by kevina2017
If I am not going to make it up the hill i just use my front brakes and a little bit of my rear if its really steep. And ride the fourwheeler down the hill backwards. Works for me most of the time. Be careful not to hammer on your rear brakes when your rolling backwards or it will come over backwards on you. Just my opinion

Iv'e seen so many people come down a hill this way.Sometimes they come down very fast, front brakes don't work so well in this senerio

wifehatesit
01-10-2008, 01:32 PM
heres another thing to do- keep the engine revving and the wheels spinning and just bury the rear tires in the dirt. it will keep it from rolling backwards and down the hill. then just get off and deal with it.

Hondamaster5505
01-10-2008, 01:47 PM
What i do,

I start off pretty small, and work my way slightly bigger each time until i hear the engine starting to strain hard, then i know that thats enough, i hit my limit.

A lot of it is speed. You rely on speed to make it 3/4 or sometimes all the way up a hill.

Heres one of the small ones i started on. Still kinda big and steep, but nothing crazy

Hondamaster5505
01-10-2008, 01:48 PM
These i definitly wont start.

Only banshees and built 450's make it up.

ALL loose slate.

Hondamaster5505
01-10-2008, 01:48 PM

ducman998r
01-10-2008, 04:05 PM
those pics from tower city??

Hondamaster5505
01-10-2008, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by ducman998r
those pics from tower city??

no, but close to there.

Its a coal mine that is HUGE! You could barely cover 1/4 the place in a day.

Its in Ashland, PA. Or Frackville, PA.

ducman998r
01-13-2008, 09:44 PM
nice.. ill have to come check it out sometime

54warrior
01-14-2008, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
These i definitly wont start.

Only banshees and built 450's make it up.

ALL loose slate.

Thanks for finally posting some pictures of real hills. Some of the flatlanders don't realize what hillclimbs are. Your pictures remind me of a place in western PA, in fact, I had to do a double take.

The ride it down backwards while feathering the front breaks doesn't work too well on stuff like that!!

Hondamaster5505
01-14-2008, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by 54warrior
Thanks for finally posting some pictures of real hills. Some of the flatlanders don't realize what hillclimbs are. Your pictures remind me of a place in western PA, in fact, I had to do a double take.

The ride it down backwards while feathering the front breaks doesn't work too well on stuff like that!!

Yeah, those hills are freakin crazy!

Its by the centralia underground coalmine fires too. You can take a trail off one part that leads to the abandoned town and the abandoned 4-lane street. You see smoke pouring up outta the ground.

Makes a great drag strip:devil: You max it out though, since its a long run.