PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder pain = not good

QuadJunkies
01-08-2008, 01:04 PM
WEll, Im sure many of you have been threw some shoulder problems with all the riding and racing...
Ive been struggling with pain in mt right shoulder for a few months now (Oct.)and its not getting any better.. Im not even sure what I done, other than it hurt shortly after a near wreck I had on my quad trying to catch my fall.Thast could be a total coinsedence....
It is near impossible to lift above my head or away from my body. Yet, if I lift other directions, its fine .
Sleeping is whats killing me .If I lay on my side it hurts BAD. IF lay lay on it under my pillow it hurts as well..
Also, it feels like somethings pulling underneath my collar bone if that makes any sense?
Ive avoided putting off seeing a D.r(I simply Hate Dr.'s lol) but Im to the point where I think I may need to go soon if I want to get any decent sleep.
Any thoughts ? Hopefully its something a cortizone shot can fix. :ermm:

Ghost-Rider
01-08-2008, 01:25 PM
Ugh, I got into a fight with a kid before Christmas break and he got suspended and I got a week of community service, which is taking chairs off the lunch tables when I get to school in the morning, I lost grip of a stack of chairs and it all went to my left arm and it feels like I pulled a muscle by my shoulder blade, it was killing me. I can move it around but if I raise my arm or move it backwards it kills. We're playing basketball in gym right now and luckily I can move it forward.

54warrior
01-08-2008, 01:38 PM
Possibly a slight AC tear??? aka Seperated Shoulder???

ricksmx865
01-08-2008, 06:40 PM
ive had similar problems since hs, hurt mine playin football

anyway i ended up doing pysical therepy everyday to try to avoid surgury and got some cortizone shots (shots help for a while)

still flares up from time to time but oh well

good luck hope ya get better

D-7#61-450r
01-08-2008, 07:10 PM
Another possibility is a torn rotor cuff. I did this two years ago and it still hurts from time to time. Mostly in the morning, sometimes I have a hard time lifting my arm to turn off the alarm clock. It never hurts riding or really any activity, just feels sore time to time. Raking leaves did make it hurt last year.
Good luck on finding out what is wrong I had x-rays, mri with die added which caused pain to come back worse, cat scan and they never saw anything. My physical therapist said it was definatley a torn rotor cuff.

QuadJunkies
01-09-2008, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by D-7#61-450r
Another possibility is a torn rotor cuff. I did this two years ago and it still hurts from time to time. Mostly in the morning, sometimes I have a hard time lifting my arm to turn off the alarm clock. It never hurts riding or really any activity, just feels sore time to time. Raking leaves did make it hurt last year.
Good luck on finding out what is wrong I had x-rays, mri with die added which caused pain to come back worse, cat scan and they never saw anything. My physical therapist said it was definatley a torn rotor cuff.
Thats what I was thinking, but I dont know much about shoulder injuries.. My ole man tore his and never got it repaired and is now paying the price. I can pin point the EXACT location,but I dont think its in a joint, so I guess thats good!
What is burcisits? Someone at work told me that could be a possibilty too?
Anyone said Im just getting old :grr: :p

bwamos
01-09-2008, 05:57 AM
I have had a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder (wrestling), and a full seperation in my left (atv).

IMHO, it sounds like you have a partial seperation.

The soreness when sleeping on that side it a sure indicator. When laying on that shoulder you're putting tension on those ligaments.

Torn rotator cuff will hurt right at the socket. Seperation will ache in the areas where the ligaments connect to the colar bone. A few different possible places. Seperations tend to ache more than direct pain. There are no nerves in ligaments. But the inflamation of surrounding tissue will cause the aching. Full seperation does hurt a bit though, lol.

trailrider1156
01-09-2008, 07:16 AM
i gotta agree with bwamos, sounds like a partial shoulder seperation. The ache that never seems to completely go away and you can still ride without too much pain.

Toadz400
01-09-2008, 10:27 AM
I would get an MRI. X-rays will not show anything and most doctors will tell you to stop being a pansy. I had to see several doctors before I finally complained enough to get an MRI. Had surgery and found out there was absolutely nothing holding my arm in place. Yes, I hate doctors too.

Have you ever dislocated your shoulder? If you have it's possible you did it again, tore a rotator cuff, or possibly more damage was done like in my case. If it is really causing you that much pain I would go to a doctor and tell them that you're serious about the pain and how long it's been going on. I had similar symptoms as you did and none of the doctors took it seriously. They just told me I had dislocated it and the pain would go away after a day or two.

bwamos
01-09-2008, 10:58 AM
Hmm.. I didn't notice before that it has been bothering you since October.

I would definatly see a doctor.

I had no surgery or anything on my fully seperated left shoulder. It took about 2 months for it to stop hurting, but I gained pretty moderate use of it before then. However at that time I had very strong shoulders, etc.. which helps to support the bone structure and helps to heal faster. However if it was a full seperation you'd know it. It looks like it's dislocated when you do it. aka.. not in the right spot.. lol. Partials seperations will usually look normal, but they shouldn't take 2+ months to heal.

It could be a torn cuff even. After re-reading, I'm actually leaning that direction, or you may simply have some torn muscle tissue.

Either way get it looked at by both a doctor, and a good sports medicine guy.

The doctors will always want to do surgery but they can probably tell you what's going on... the "good" sports medicine guys that deal with that stuff daily will often have a better option for treatment.

QuadJunkies
01-09-2008, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
Hmm.. I didn't notice before that it has been bothering you since October.

I would definatly see a doctor.

I had no surgery or anything on my fully seperated left shoulder. It took about 2 months for it to stop hurting, but I gained pretty moderate use of it before then. However at that time I had very strong shoulders, etc.. which helps to support the bone structure and helps to heal faster. However if it was a full seperation you'd know it. It looks like it's dislocated when you do it. aka.. not in the right spot.. lol. Partials seperations will usually look normal, but they shouldn't take 2+ months to heal.

It could be a torn cuff even. After re-reading, I'm actually leaning that direction, or you may simply have some torn muscle tissue.

Either way get it looked at by both a doctor, and a good sports medicine guy.

The doctors will always want to do surgery but they can probably tell you what's going on... the "good" sports medicine guys that deal with that stuff daily will often have a better option for treatment.
You just gave me some good advice there,thanks :)
I was going to make an appt. with an Orthopedic Dr. or someone who specializes in shoulder injuries.The Ortho I had on my foot was pretty good,so I may go back to him.
Im going ot tough it out a few more weeks as we have the season opener in Phoenix. After that ,Il prol. go see a Doc. :(
Man, I hope I dont have any time lost from work this year ,this is not a good time to be down for me!:scary:

KXRida
01-09-2008, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by D-7#61-450r

that would be my guess as well

QuadJunkies
01-09-2008, 11:47 AM
I started doing a little reading today on the shoulder.
Does sound abit like my symtoms.
http://seniorhealth.about.com/cs/conditions/a/rotator_cuff.htm
this is EXACTLY where the pain starts and moves below my collar bone area.

http://z.about.com/d/orthopedics/1/0/R/1/rotatorcufftear.jpg

QuadJunkies
01-09-2008, 11:55 AM
A little about Bursisits too .
Looks like thre is several things it could be .

http://z.about.com/f/p/440/graphics/images/en/8741.jpg
http://adam.about.com/encyclopedia/infectiousdiseases/Bursitis.htm

Ive have troubles with tendonitis in my arms and handsfor several years, so there may be a connection theretoo I guess.
I Def. need to see a Dr.:rolleyes:

KXRida
01-09-2008, 11:56 AM
At the hospital I shadowed a physical therapist and the one patient with a rotator cuff tear had very limited range of motion and physical symptoms similar to yours

bwamos
01-09-2008, 01:48 PM
Just for illustration this shows the tendons that tear when you seperate your shoulder. (If I remember the doctors illustration correctly).

All of mine were completely seperated.. doh! And still are. My collar bone basically floats and does not support the shoulder.

KXRida
01-09-2008, 02:02 PM
I was going to say bursitis, but usually with that the bursa (little cushion discs) rupture and usually you can't move without pain. If you want more detailed pictures, I can get you some out of my books. Don't know how well they will look when taken with a camera, but...

trxwannbe
01-09-2008, 04:53 PM
definitely get it checked out i threw javelin in highschool and threw my shoulder out a few times and its been about a year now and the doctors have been telling me since i graduated that i was fine and i finally got an mri last week and the inside of my shoulder is just ripped to shreds

KXRida
01-09-2008, 08:05 PM
still I wouldn't push bursitis out of the picture seeing how it's usually caused by a large impact. Just some fyi, the bursa are like mini donuts that are filled with fluid. When they have a force or impact hit them, they spill fluid out into the joints to help absorb the impact. As some you the older folk and injured young people know on here, once that fluid is no longer there, it turns into what we know as arthritis.

xtullyx16
01-09-2008, 08:32 PM
i have partial rotor cuff tears in atleast one of my shoulders (right) and yes ur syptoms sound exactly like mine .. and mine were due to heavy bench pressing.. and i think i have a partial tear in my left shoulder but I ahve never gotten it checked out.. yes i would get a mri.. or xray .. w/e one that they put fluid into ur arm to help see inside of it... but goodluck and hopefully the pain isnt to terrible but ik mine was i couldnt throw a football or even a dodgeball until like 2-3 months after i quit completely lifitng.. and now that i started back up i dont bench press at all and it seems to have healed sum.. knock on wood! anyways try to give it sum rest.. like no heavy lifting.. and i also would not go get surgery if it is a torn rotor cuff.. my doctor even told me it is not 100% that u will ever be back to normal.. and even if it does heal completely which is not likely thatt it will be more prone to tearing again even with the proper physical therapy..and also the healing period is like 12 weeks in a sling where u cant move it at all and it sits on a pillow all day! sucks.. and after that u get it out of the brace/cast/sling for like 6 weeks and u cant do any lifting.. sucks.. but if i were u i would go get it checked out and if it was a rotor cuff problem i would def. go do therapy cause it does help.. and i would take it very easy for a couple of months or however long it takes soo u notice that it doesnt hurt as much anymore.. and slowly start lifting normal things again! sorry about the long post! GOODLUCK!

QuadJunkies
01-09-2008, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by KXRida
still I wouldn't push bursitis out of the picture seeing how it's usually caused by a large impact. Just some fyi, the bursa are like mini donuts that are filled with fluid. When they have a force or impact hit them, they spill fluid out into the joints to help absorb the impact. As some you the older folk and injured young people know on here, once that fluid is no longer there, it turns into what we know as arthritis.

That reminds me of somethin I done last week....
I went to throw something and I swear it about dropped me to the ground in pain!
Sometimes I space that its really sore, until I get a rude awakening moving it a wrong way and then it hurt for a few hours afterwards,like tonight, I went to grab something reaching in the back seat of the truck.:scary:

QuadJunkies
01-10-2008, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by KXRida
I didnt know that . My Mom has really bad arthritis,I hope I dont get it like her when Im old .

KXRida
01-10-2008, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
I didnt know that . My Mom has really bad arthritis,I hope I dont get it like her when Im old .

haha yah I guess paying attention in college is worth something lol

Scooter86
01-12-2008, 07:55 AM
I do MRIs for a living, and your symptoms sound exactly like a Rotator Cuff tear. I agree with the poster telling you to go see a sports med. ortho doc. The longer you wait before treatment regardless of the problem, the less likely you are to get back to 100%, so don't put it off anymore. They call that "Dumb Jock Syndrome" It hurts, but you don't want to have any down time so you try to work through the pain but only compound the situation and deminish any long term recovery possibilities...

QuadJunkies
01-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Scooter86
I do MRIs for a living, and your symptoms sound exactly like a Rotator Cuff tear. I agree with the poster telling you to go see a sports med. ortho doc. The longer you wait before treatment regardless of the problem, the less likely you are to get back to 100%, so don't put it off anymore. They call that "Dumb Jock Syndrome" It hurts, but you don't want to have any down time so you try to work through the pain but only compound the situation and deminish any long term recovery possibilities...

I know your probably right...
But I have a million things going 7 days a week that I seem to bring on to myself, so breaking away to see a Dr. that MIGHT tell me I need surgery, makes it tough for me and my family right now. I had Dr.'s want to put me in the hospital a couple times in the last two years, but playing the waiting game usually seems to work just as effective -less the hospital bills! lol
If I get word I have to have some down time,that not only effects me, but it effects my whole family.I most likely could not get my kids to the National series they are getting ready for starting in just a little over a week:scary:
I have a few things I need to go to a Dr. to have done...my Gall Bladder removed is another one. Im not a jock though, Im just a MOM trying to be there for everyone all the time and basically have no time for myself anymore it seems. LOL:p Im somewhat stubborn and maybe a little in denial .lol
I will go get it checked when I return from Phoenix this month,its startting to hurt enough where Im def. taking it more serious now.

hondaracer31
01-12-2008, 09:26 PM
Don't wait too long. My father and I both injured our rotator cuffs within a month of each other. Me on an 80 foot triple, he fell on ice.
I waited 3 weeks to go to a Dr, needed surgery and am now 100%.
He waited 3 MONTHS to go to a Dr, had surgery and still can't lift his arm. He's right handed and it was his right shoulder, so to eat he has to use his left hand to lift his right hand to eat.
The Dr said by waiting the ligaments shrunk so there was not much he could do with them.

Scooter86
01-13-2008, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by hondaracer31
Don't wait too long. My father and I both injured our rotator cuffs within a month of each other. Me on an 80 foot triple, he fell on ice.
I waited 3 weeks to go to a Dr, needed surgery and am now 100%.
He waited 3 MONTHS to go to a Dr, had surgery and still can't lift his arm. He's right handed and it was his right shoulder, so to eat he has to use his left hand to lift his right hand to eat.
The Dr said by waiting the ligaments shrunk so there was not much he could do with them.

This is exactly why getting treatment for an injury sooner rather than later is usually the better choice. If you go sooner it also gives you a better chance of being able to rehab with physical therapy vs surgery. Sooner gives you and your doctor more options for treatment and increases your chances of recovery. I am not looking to harp on you Quadjunkies, this is really for anyone that has an injury regardless of how it happened or what it is. If you have a loss in normal range of motion or debillitating pain, get it checked!

riding4fun
01-13-2008, 06:50 AM
QJ,

I feel your pain. I had shoulder problems for almost 3 years. It was one day benching heavy weight that it gave out and I went to see a doctor. I had the MRI and I had a torn Rotator Cuff and torn Labrum.

Tearing of the Labrum is caused by exactly what you did, catching your fall. Not saying that's your problem.

I had surgery to fix both. Unfortunately surgery didn't fix it and I will live with the pain. I can now lift heavy again but with consequences.

Hope everything works out.

QuadJunkies
01-13-2008, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by riding4fun
QJ,

I feel your pain. I had shoulder problems for almost 3 years. It was one day benching heavy weight that it gave out and I went to see a doctor. I had the MRI and I had a torn Rotator Cuff and torn Labrum.

Tearing of the Labrum is caused by exactly what you did, catching your fall. Not saying that's your problem.

I had surgery to fix both. Unfortunately surgery didn't fix it and I will live with the pain. I can now lift heavy again but with consequences.

Hope everything works out.

I work with a couple people that had the surgery and advise to try and avoid it if possible as it done them no good and in one of them, it made matters actually worse.
MY Husband is now telling me I need to go in, so I probably will in a couple weeks. He said the shot alone my help it feel better if theres alot of imflamation.
I hate Cortizone shots . I had one injected in my joint once and that FREAKIN SMARTS!:scary: