PDA

View Full Version : Triple Rate Spring Kits - Works/Hygear/GT Thunder (double only)

08400EX
01-08-2008, 08:33 AM
Hi Guys,

Getting ready to pull the trigger on some Triple (or Double ) rate Springs for my 450R front shocks.

I am familiar with the popularity of Works, but getting in touch with someone there to help hasn't gone very well so far (4 phone calls and can't get thru to the right person).

GT Thunder also has a great reputation, but according to them they only offer double rate spring kits.

I talked with a very helpful guy at HyGear Suspension and am leaning towards one of their Twisted Spring Triple rate kits.

EDIT: After Talking with C&D they are also on my list, and probably now at the top.

Looking for feedback from those who have used any or all of the above. I did a search on HyGear but didn't find anything here about them (good or bad).

FYI, just looking for a plush trail riding setup, not a race setup.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Colby@C&DRacing
01-08-2008, 09:01 AM
If you are looking for a plush ride without lower the ride height we offer a preloaded triple rate setup for the 450r shocks. a triple rate spring setup offer a very progressive spring curve that is very tunable for ride quality and body roll

08400EX
01-08-2008, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
If you are looking for a plush ride without lower the ride height we offer a preloaded triple rate setup for the 450r shocks. a triple rate spring setup offer a very progressive spring curve that is very tunable for ride quality and body roll

The plush ride without losing ride height is exactly what I am looking for. I will be calling you today to discuss!

Thanks!

Dave

08400EX
01-08-2008, 09:38 AM

Can you please post or PM a pic of your 450R Triple rate setup??

Thanks!

Dave

Colby@C&DRacing
01-08-2008, 11:13 AM
here

08400EX
01-08-2008, 11:21 AM
here

SWEET!!!! http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/graemlins/rockon.gif

08400EX
01-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Colby,

After looking closer at the pic I like the fact that you seem to be using aluminum spacers/bushings for the stacker springs vs the plastic/nylon/delrin I see on others.

BTW, is that base spring the "burgandy" color you mentioned? It looks more red to me, which I like.

Thanks, will be in touch again today or tomorrow. Looking at my ride schedule for the next 2 weeks to figure out the best timing.

400exMO
01-08-2008, 04:03 PM
it kind of looks like you're already sold with C@D but I'll add my opinion.
I had C@D respring and valve my rear shock and it's excellent. Fast turn around, great customer service and an excellent shock. You will be very happy with them.

Colby@C&DRacing
01-09-2008, 07:58 AM
Thanks for the support Mitch:)

As for the cross overs yes they are all alumium. The main spring is pretty much red

97WarriorRider
01-09-2008, 03:34 PM
Never had any shock work done at all..But about hygear. They are a way smaller business and do alot more with local racers. They are in New york and lot of racers in the WNYOA series have sent there shocks to them and they love it..

my88r
01-09-2008, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by 97WarriorRider
Never had any shock work done at all..But about hygear. They are a way smaller business and do alot more with local racers. They are in New york and lot of racers in the WNYOA series have sent there shocks to them and they love it..

I been to there shop. will never go there again. :mad:

exracer416
01-10-2008, 08:06 AM
i paid 400 bucks for a front revalve at hygear and the shocks still kick the crap out of me

tanner 222
01-14-2008, 06:11 PM
im also looking to get my shocks completely rebuilt and have looked at the same company's. anybody have their shocks done by GT Thunder ? theres a guy up here that has them and loves them to death but hes the only one ive ever seen with them so does anyone else have them done by them ?

mak400ex
01-15-2008, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by 08400EX
Can you please post or PM a pic of your 450R Triple rate setup??

Thanks!

Dave

hey 08400EX

here's what i did - not bad for the $

Well i wanted to upgrade my front 450r shocks so i decided on this set up... works triple rate springs - I just put them on last weekend the ride is very smooth, have not had a chance to hit a jump to see how they hold up, but I did get what i was looking for lowering the front end - it lowered it about 1.75" (got rid of the mad spider look) and yes it did make it a bit wider - Im at 52.5" wide now. I have not had a chance to dial them in yet

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s301/mikody/IMG_2124.jpg
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s301/mikody/IMG_2126.jpg

link to my post:
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=326840

08400EX
01-15-2008, 02:08 PM
mak400ex,

Your original thread about the triple rates for the 450Rs was actually what prompted me to start checking around.

That is also what prompted me to contact Works originally. Unfortunately my timing must have been crappy because after 3-4 phone calls and leaving voice mails over a weeks time I was never able to get into with the person who handles that. Due to this I started checking into HyGear and then luckily thru this thread got in contact with Colby at C&D. I enjoyed my phone calls with Colby and he instilled confidence in me that he would take care of my setup.

However, after even more thinking I may go a different route. I am thinking of going for the iShock multi-rate F-8 Shock Set. It is my understanding that C&D also sells the iShock products. Due to the quality time Colby spent with me on the phone I will definitely contact him first about this option before looking elsewhere.

I just gotta make up my mind for sure which way I am going.

400sEXridr
01-15-2008, 02:46 PM
Colby, how much do your spring kits run and is a revalve included?

mak400ex
01-15-2008, 06:41 PM
mak400ex,

Your original thread about the triple rates for the 450Rs was actually what prompted me to start checking around.

That is also what prompted me to contact Works originally. Unfortunately my timing must have been crappy because after 3-4 phone calls and leaving voice mails over a weeks time I was never able to get into with the person who handles that. Due to this I started checking into HyGear and then luckily thru this thread got in contact with Colby at C&D. I enjoyed my phone calls with Colby and he instilled confidence in me that he would take care of my setup.

However, after even more thinking I may go a different route. I am thinking of going for the iShock multi-rate F-8 Shock Set. It is my understanding that C&D also sells the iShock products. Due to the quality time Colby spent with me on the phone I will definitely contact him first about this option before looking elsewhere.

I just gotta make up my mind for sure which way I am going.

Sounds good,
yea the iShock is one of the best ways to go - if ya got the extra $ get em.
good luck on making up your mind ........ man a lot of choices.
take ya time and you willl make the right choice :)

Colby@C&DRacing
01-16-2008, 08:33 AM
THe conversion is $700 for all three shocks. This includes all the external parts you see along with CNC machined high flow pistons in all three shocks, multi stage valving, travel extenders, oil, nitrogen etc

01-16-2008, 10:22 AM
THe conversion is $700 for all three shocks. This includes all the external parts you see along with CNC machined high flow pistons in all three shocks, multi stage valving, travel extenders, oil, nitrogen etc

thats an awesome deal! I cant wait till I get my 450r fronts to send them out to C&D

97WarriorRider
01-16-2008, 02:36 PM
If your going to spend that much why not just buy aftermarket shocks..doesnt make much sense to me but o well..

400sEXridr
01-16-2008, 02:49 PM
my rear shock is a 400ex shock. do you provide the same service for this shock or how much would it be for just the 2 fronts by themselves

01-16-2008, 02:50 PM
If your going to spend that much why not just buy aftermarket shocks..doesnt make much sense to me but o well..

because that $700 makes it like getting front and rear aftermarket. let me know when you get a front and rear setup exactly for you thats aftermarket for less than that

08400EX
01-16-2008, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
because that $700 makes it like getting front and rear aftermarket. let me know when you get a front and rear setup exactly for you thats aftermarket for less than that

X2.... I also would be interested in the information where I can get both front and rear aftermarket 3-way adjustable (pre-load, Comp, rebound) shocks custom valved and sprung to my specs for $900 ($200 450R fronts plus $700 C&D rebuild for all 3 shocks).

97WarriorRider
01-16-2008, 07:21 PM
Im ethier getting triple rate elkas or custom axis shocks this summer for 750..And getting my rear rebuilt..It will be around 1000 bucks..But this way you dont have to buy the shocks..Then go through the hasle to send them back out and decide who you are going to send them too..and then wait for them to rebuild them..Idk..I would just rather buy good aftermarkets..

08400EX
01-16-2008, 07:41 PM
Im ethier getting triple rate elkas or custom axis shocks this summer for 750....

Aren't the new $750 Elkas Non Adjustable like the stock EX shocks (other than preload) ??? If that is not the case PLEASE tell me where you can get new fully adjustable Elksa for that price!

All the ones I have seen for that price don't have compression or Rebound adjustments.. Without that I couldn't consider it a "Good Aftermarket" shock.

You could do the 450R shock deal with custom valving and triple rate for $600 (200 shocks , 400 rebuild) and have a 3-way adjustable shock that is probably as high a quality as most made. At that you would save $150 off of the Non Adjustable Elkas to pay for half of the rear rebuild and be better off ..IMHO.

97WarriorRider
01-17-2008, 04:33 PM
Aren't the new $750 Elkas Non Adjustable like the stock EX shocks (other than preload) ??? If that is not the case PLEASE tell me where you can get new fully adjustable Elksa for that price!

All the ones I have seen for that price don't have compression or Rebound adjustments.. Without that I couldn't consider it a "Good Aftermarket" shock.

You could do the 450R shock deal with custom valving and triple rate for $600 (200 shocks , 400 rebuild) and have a 3-way adjustable shock that is probably as high a quality as most made. At that you would save $150 off of the Non Adjustable Elkas to pay for half of the rear rebuild and be better off ..IMHO.
no these are fully adjustable..I have ways through local shops and sponsors..Believe me..the the $750 shocks im gunna get are fully adjustable

gcart2
01-17-2008, 04:48 PM
seems as though c&d is the way to go. if i ever have to have anything redone it will be with them.

08400EX
01-17-2008, 04:59 PM
no these are fully adjustable..I have ways through local shops and sponsors..Believe me..the the $750 shocks im gunna get are fully adjustable

Understand, but special Sponsor type deals is not a fair dollar value comparison for us mere mortals :-).

So, it seems the 450R Triple Rate Spring Kit looks to still be the best bang for the buck....barring any special sponsor/buddy deals...or the lucky used find that isn't beat all to heck.

After a conversation with iShock yesterday it looks like I will be passing on the F-8s.

Looks like I am going to do the Works Triple Rate SPring kit, heck its only $229

400sEXridr
01-18-2008, 10:44 AM
bump

08400EX
02-07-2008, 02:23 PM
My Works Triple Rate Spring Kit arrived today. I was very impressed with the service from Works and the quality of the kit.

Installation was a breeze and initial ride testing seems to be exactly what I wanted. Will get to ride "in anger" on the trails this weekend and will know more then.

Thanks to everyone for their advise and feedback!

http://www.928gt.com/images/400ex/CIMG2166a.JPG

http://www.928gt.com/images/400ex/CIMG2164a.JPG

my88r
02-07-2008, 02:25 PM
looks good.:macho

but a winch on a 400ex.:p

08400EX
02-07-2008, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by my88r
looks good.:macho

but a winch on a 400ex.:p

Thanks!

Laugh all you want, but I have used it almost everytime I have gone out. We don't have any "pu**y" riding around here, and we never turn back from a challenge :-)

Plus I am too darn old (and too smart) to drag these things out of the mud or over boulders :)

Plus it sure is fun to be the "hero" and pull out all of those stuck utility quads :devil:

02-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Wow that quad has really came together and man is it nice! The black plastics and everything you have done make it so much nicer than stock. I think Honda should make the new 400ex in all black like yours.

08400EX
02-07-2008, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
Wow that quad has really came together and man is it nice! The black plastics and everything you have done make it so much nicer than stock. I think Honda should make the new 400ex in all black like yours.

Thanks man, I appreciate that. It looks like next week I will have it all finished for now. I am getting to the end of my "list".

Installing the Moose Dual Gasser Thumb/Twist Throttle tomorrow along with the older flat head style pilot screw and adjustable needle from the 03s to make carb adjustments easier to get it dialed in. Also adding a Wide Band 02 Sensor fitting to the new Yoshi so I can tune with one of my Innovate WBO2 LM-1 tuners.

Next week is "Carbon Fiber week", a new Yoshi Carbon Fiber Full system, Carbon Fiber Heat Shield and custom Carbon Fiber Warning Label replacements. I think it will be the icing on the cake with the rest of the black.

After that I can just concentrate on getting all the new stuff scratched up real good :-)

mak400ex
02-07-2008, 06:24 PM
Dang 08400EX,

THATS ONE OF THE BEST LOOKING ATV ON THIS SITE, the 08's look killer.

I like the look rugged yet sporty - very nice setup.. i see ya got the triple rate springs great choice. man i like everything you have done to it, WANT TO TRADE AND I WILL KICK IN SOME LOOT....LOL

Very good job. went to your photo gallery nice shots.
Keep up the good work and yea dont spend to much $ on it, :D

mak

97WarriorRider
02-07-2008, 07:27 PM
that is freaking sick looking..I love the all black and especially the tire/rim combo

02-07-2008, 08:04 PM
So you just went out and got used 450r stock shocks and got the works triple rate kit? Like you didnt get the shocks rebuilt or anything? How does it ride like that, just wandering becuase I have never seen that done before.

08400EX
02-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by RoadRidin450r
So you just went out and got used 450r stock shocks and got the works triple rate kit? Like you didnt get the shocks rebuilt or anything? How does it ride like that, just wandering becuase I have never seen that done before.

I still had adjustment range on the 450R shocks as they were stock, BUT I wanted a more plush ride for the trails. When I explained my needs/wants to the guys at C&D, HyGear, and Works, they all said I should start with just the spring kit first and try it. Then if I ran out of adjustment range on the comp/rebound adjusters, then and only then should I consider a revalve. Riding so far tells me I am good to go, will do more hard core riding this weekend and have more feedback then.

Keep in mind I am just a trail rider and not a racer, so my livelihood doesn't depend on 10ths of second difference in lap times...thru the woods. All I want is a comfortable controlled ride on various terrains at various speeds.

For approx $400 total, so far I am tickled ****less with the results:-)

02-08-2008, 01:37 PM
Nice job then I just didnt know how it would work out becuase I am not a expert or anything on shocks but if I was just a hard core trail rider I would do the same. If you dont mind me asking how much total did you pay for all 4 hipers and the set of tires becuase I am looking to get a set.

08400EX
02-08-2008, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by RoadRidin450r
Nice job then I just didnt know how it would work out becuase I am not a expert or anything on shocks but if I was just a hard core trail rider I would do the same. If you dont mind me asking how much total did you pay for all 4 hipers and the set of tires becuase I am looking to get a set.

Thanks, so far it has turned out well.

The Maxxs iRazr tires came from Rocky Mountain ATV. Total to my door was $277.96. Standard RM pricing with free shipping

The Tech 3 Hipers I really lucked out on, my timing was perfect when I called in to order them. Matt had just finished reconditioning a set of the rear 3+6 Double Beadlocks which is what I wanted. He promised me they would look like new and if I wasn't happy I could return them. When he reconditions them they also have new beadlock rings and hardware. As you may know the 3+6 version is a lot more expensive then the standard 4+5 offset.

As Matt promised when they arrived the rears did indeed look brand new. I honestly couldn't tell any difference from the new fronts. No scratches, no dings, no nothing. PLUS, because the aluminum centers were a little older they had the Honda only bolt pattern (4 holes) instead of the current 8 hole combination Honda and Yamaha bolt pattern centers. To me that was a big plus and in reality I would have paid more to have centers like that.

Matt normally sells a brand new set like mine for $740 delivered, but with the current 8 hole Honda/Yamaha centers.

Matt gave me a really good deal and I don't feel comfortable giving out that info without asking him.

Let's just say I saved enough to pay for my Works Spring Kit, give or take $15 or so. :-)

drchoicey
02-09-2008, 01:07 AM
hey
so was it c&d that sold you the works springs
for 229? that is a good price.works wants 299 themselves.
thanx

drchoicey
02-09-2008, 01:08 AM
ps
your quad came out wicked cool

08400EX
02-09-2008, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by drchoicey
hey
so was it c&d that sold you the works springs
for 229? that is a good price.works wants 299 themselves.
thanx

Nope, direct from Works, $229 custom spec'd to rider style, weight etc. Ask For Darrell, he took great care of me. Ordered on Monday and I recieved and installed them Thursday.

C&D had just gotten a price increase and their Spring Kits jumped to $315 or so, their Respring/revalve also jumped to around $525 or so.

08400EX
02-09-2008, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by drchoicey
ps
your quad came out wicked cool

THANKS!

02-09-2008, 11:03 AM
C&D had just gotten a price increase and their Spring Kits jumped to $315 or so, their Respring/revalve also jumped to around $525 or so.

Wow price increases suck majorly. By the time I get my 450r fronts I wont be able to afford a revalve/respring lol So it was $700 before for all 3 shocks, what is it now?

tanner 222
02-09-2008, 11:07 AM
mine were 800 for all 3