PDA

View Full Version : atv in smoking and i dont know why (video provided)

mikeE36
01-08-2008, 12:00 AM
This is my 2003 honda 250ex. It has been used alot (almost everyday back up north) and i'll be honest i've taken it through water alot. I did change the oil and cleaned the air filter every ride though.

So the other day I get home from a local mudding event and notice that its smoking alittle and it was bogging out when i went over bumps. so I take out the carb and clean it.

i start it up. it starts smoking but not as bad plus its faster.

since its smoking I decide to put 20w 50 in it.

I take to the next mudding event and it runs great the whole day hardly any smoke. As soon as I hit some water thats when it starting acting up. I couldnt even ride it because it was smoking so bad. My frieinds and I think its gas but we're not really sure. The oil level seems to stay the same so I'm kind of confused.

Anyway please help me fix the problem or give me some ideas.

the smoke is a white color but not blue

heres the video. thanks for any help in advance.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Rc8um7TGXk

redrider9045
01-08-2008, 10:17 AM
Piston Rings maybe

2004exrider
01-08-2008, 04:10 PM
Water in your exhaust packing, has oil ever got in your muffler? Stupid question but any chance water could have gotten in your gas?

Jimmy

01-08-2008, 06:34 PM
it cant be packing because i'm pretty sure stock exhaust doesnt have packing its just a bunch of chambers

250exkid
01-08-2008, 07:05 PM
stock dont have packing

mikeE36
01-08-2008, 09:48 PM
na I drained the gas. The oil level will stay fine even when its pouring smoke. oil is really black though even though i changed it.

qr4life
01-09-2008, 01:01 PM
when it starts to smoke is it cold outside?

mikeE36
01-09-2008, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by qr4life
when it starts to smoke is it cold outside?

nope its around 70+ out

01-09-2008, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by mikeE36
na I drained the gas. The oil level will stay fine even when its pouring smoke. oil is really black though even though i changed it.

if oil is black change it, if it continues to smoke i'm gonna bet on you need some new piston rings

Aceman
01-09-2008, 04:11 PM
I'd compression test it. Then dump 2-3 capfuls of oil in the plug hole and test it again. If it comes up significantly your rings are shot. Your engine is probably due for a complete rebuild the way it sounds but it doesn't hurt to compression check it first. I don't know the stock compression on a 250ex but I usually try and have 150+ psi as a rule of thumb.

01-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by 250exkid
stock dont have packing

Stock does have packing. If You ever cut a stock muffler in half you will in fact see packing. It's on the outer side inside the muffler. If you ever looked inside a aftermarket exhaust tip for cars that is how the mufflers packing is in a stock quad exhaust.

And I would say its your valves.

250exkid
01-09-2008, 04:58 PM
ohh ok i c now!:)

RATPACK Z400
01-10-2008, 12:43 PM
That smoke is blowing though valves that are not seating properly,but im no motor mechanic i,ve seen it on other quads and that was the problem.

mikeE36
01-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by RATPACK Z400
That smoke is blowing though valves that are not seating properly,but im no motor mechanic i,ve seen it on other quads and that was the problem.

valves hard to do? you have to disassemble the engine?

d3ktrix
01-10-2008, 08:55 PM

the smoke is a white color but not blue

White smoke normally means you are burning water or coolant.

Blue is burning oil.

Black is rich jetting.

And sense u say it gets worse when you run through water it makes me think ur sucking in water somewhere.

Check for air leaks.

mikeE36
01-11-2008, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by d3ktrix
White smoke normally means you are burning water or coolant.

Blue is burning oil.

Black is rich jetting.

And sense u say it gets worse when you run through water it makes me think ur sucking in water somewhere.

Check for air leaks.

its just weird cause i'm air cooled. And it is white smoke. I wish I could figure it out. I'm considering trying out a new carb. Gas is clean gas btw.

250exkid
01-11-2008, 11:30 AM
make sure the hoses are connected correctly from you crank case and air box to and also make sure your snorkel is connected good also, valves rnt hard to do, take off all ur front plastic and take off you gas tank on the top of the motor are 4 big covers that u need a wrench to take off, hop this helps!

d3ktrix
01-11-2008, 01:04 PM
its just weird cause i'm air cooled. And it is white smoke. I wish I could figure it out. I'm considering trying out a new carb. Gas is clean gas btw.

Don't have to be water cooled to be burning water.
I meant u could be sucking in water somewhere when u go though the puddles.

garthedavidson
01-18-2008, 12:30 PM
its a cracked ring more than likley I just had the same problem. thats your problem if the smoking lessens when it has fully warmed up.

mikeE36
01-19-2008, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by garthedavidson
its a cracked ring more than likley I just had the same problem. thats your problem if the smoking lessens when it has fully warmed up.

actually smokes more when warmed up. some weird stuff. I'm hoping it just has a bad carb

burcham400#39
01-19-2008, 07:36 AM
i agree with ratpack it has to deal with your valves and u probably need new valve seals

fmftrx300ex
01-19-2008, 10:28 AM
this is coming from a 13 year old so no dis's um did u cheack like your drain plug or ur seal around the "dipstick" cuz if water got in their and it could be just barly enough to make smoke idk

burcham400#39
01-19-2008, 09:06 PM
it don't matter how old he is when they r right , but i don't think its from the valves not being seated properly , i think the valve seals are wore out and need to be replaced

01-21-2008, 04:05 PM
Normally if it has valve problems you have the most smoke on start up, for the first few minutes then it should get better. Piston rings it stays smoking and gets worse as the oil heats up and gets thinner.

Plugged up carb? A lean motor can smoke white. It would run crappy to like it was running out of gas.

I would say its watter or jetting in the carb.