PDA

View Full Version : asv levers

oleboy87
01-07-2008, 09:02 PM
im looking at gettig an asv clutch lever and perch and they have something about hot start... do i need that on the 400 or can i jsut get the regular one?

NJ450rider
01-07-2008, 09:12 PM
They have regular atv ones for the 400ex specific. thats what i have on my 400ex black c 5's.

hornetgod13
01-07-2008, 09:48 PM
ASV sells refurbished clutch perches and brake levers for 1/2 the original cost on Ebay and they all come with a 1 year free replacement warranty. Best of all they look BRAND NEW. I have both on my quad.

oleboy87
01-07-2008, 09:54 PM
yes thats what i was looking at but what ones did you get there is 100 different models do you find it is an easier pull over the stocker?

hornetgod13
01-07-2008, 10:35 PM
The pull is the exact same as the stock set up.

The part numbers you can search for on Ebay are:

Standard F3 ASV Clutch Perch and Lever part number: CMF30 ($21.00 Ebay) or ($70.00 New)

Pro F3 ASV Clutch Perch and Lever Part Number: CMF33
($36.00 Ebay) or ($115.00 New)

If you see a letter after the 30 or 33 that is just a version number and they all will fit a 400ex. The newest versions are
CMF30Q and CMF33Q

01-08-2008, 05:43 AM
seeing those prices makes me smile lol

oleboy87
01-08-2008, 05:57 AM
what is the difference in the pro and the regular one?

lawdog800
01-08-2008, 09:14 AM
I just bought levers from ASV on e-bay. I actually got the Pro lever with hot start, but put in payment instructions that I needed a lever for a 2000 400EX they sent a CMF30Q the "Q" is not normally offered on e-bay so you have to request in payment instructions, but check with them first........
The levers we got were the red F3 levers. They have a QUAD Brake lever listed on e-bay for $40.00 buy it now. The "PRO" levers have a quick adjust on the cluth where the universal standard just has the standard adjuster on the clutch.

REMEMBER.... If you buy from e-bay if you need more than 1 item, when u win it send them a message and let them know you are bidding on other items at the same time because it is $7.95 per item to ship, but if you pay for multiple items at once, the first item is $7.95 and additional items are $2.00 shipping, s you want to buy at once to save shipping costs.

hornetgod13
01-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by oleboy87
what is the difference in the pro and the regular one?

1. Adjustable Reach lever
2. Quick Adjuster
3. Bearings on Perch Pivot
4. Nylon Mounting Sleeve (allows the perch to rotate, not break
on roll overs)
5. 5 year warranty instead of 3 year warranty if purchased new.

See for yourself. Here's the website link.
http://asvinventions.com/levers_order/quad_atv/f3_quad_atv.html

hornetgod13
01-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by lawdog800
I just bought levers from ASV on e-bay. I actually got the Pro lever with hot start, but put in payment instructions that I needed a lever for a 2000 400EX they sent a CMF30Q

CMF35 is a clutch perch with hot start. You should have gotten a CMF30

CarGuy7a
01-08-2008, 12:16 PM
one thing you will have to do when you install one of these levers is you'll have to connect the 2 wires going to the stock clutch switch so you can start it in gear. but be careful b/c it will turn the motor over regardless if the clutch is pulled in or not.

i like mine alot. you can adjust the reach of the lever to fit your hand. i did have to mod the adjusting screw and locknut by cutting it down a little bit so it wouldn't hit the back of the switch panel.

but other than that i found it to be alot more comfortable than the stock setup.

hornetgod13
01-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by CarGuy7a
i did have to mod the adjusting screw and locknut by cutting it down a little bit so it wouldn't hit the back of the switch panel.

I had to do the same with the lever adjusting nut. I filed the edge of it down a bit and now I have a 1/16th of an inch of clearance when the lever is pulled all the way in. You can see in the picture below.

Brauap
01-08-2008, 01:03 PM
Not meaning to "hi-jack" your thread but.. what is it. I know its a clutch and brake lever, buts whats special about it? I saw them on ebay but... I was just wondering this question. Also, whats hot start? Like I think someone said they had hot start or something.. Thanks... And sorry....

-Brauap

oleboy87
01-08-2008, 01:53 PM
these levers will not break and they have either warenties on them... and they are adjustable

01-08-2008, 02:08 PM
ASV makes an awesome lever. Cool colors, wont bend or break...

Brauap
01-08-2008, 05:34 PM
Soooo... cool colors, not being able to brake, and a warenty, it worth 150 bucks.. thanks but no thanks, I'll pass... If I ever bend mine, I will just buy more for 15 bucks.. and there alum.. so... you'd need to buy 10 brand new black alum. levers for the price of two.. aaa.. Im sorry but I think its kinda stupid.... :rolleyes:

hornetgod13
01-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
Soooo... cool colors, not being able to brake, and a warenty, it worth 150 bucks.. thanks but no thanks, I'll pass... If I ever bend mine, I will just buy more for 15 bucks.. and there alum.. so... you'd need to buy 10 brand new black alum. levers for the price of two.. aaa.. Im sorry but I think its kinda stupid.... :rolleyes:

Do you actually read the entire thread before you start posting? :rolleyes:

150 bucks? Where did you come up with that number? These clutch perches and levers are not "kind of stupid". If you spend a little more now. You'll save yourself money down the road. ASV sells refurbished items on Ebay for 1/5th retail price, they look brand new and come with a warranty.

(Standard F3 ASV Clutch Perch and Lever part number: CMF30 ($21.00 Ebay)
or
($36.00 Ebay)

Do your $10.00 clutch perches come with all the features that ASV offers? I'm willing to bet you will spend more on MULTIPLE cheap clutch perches and levers than I ever will on 1 ASV.

01-08-2008, 06:41 PM
The lever have the pivot design to pivot out of harms way when hit on impact and they just go right back to their original position after that, they have adjustable reach so you can set how far the lever stick out according to your prefference or hand size, and they are guaranteed not to break so how could you go wrong? I'm telling you buy ASV levers and you wont be sorry.

CarGuy7a
01-08-2008, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Brauap
Not meaning to "hi-jack" your thread but.. what is it. I know its a clutch and brake lever, buts whats special about it? I saw them on ebay but... I was just wondering this question. Also, whats hot start? Like I think someone said they had hot start or something.. Thanks... And sorry....

-Brauap

hot start is on like the 450's and stuff. i believe what it does is lean the mixture out to make it easier to kick start when the motor is hot to keep it from flooding out... hence the name "hot start".

400ex carbs do not have this because they are electric start. someone correct me if i'm wrong.

what's special about them is that the clutch levers bend backwards preventing them from breakage. they're also more comfortable than stock.

dariusld
01-09-2008, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by oleboy87
these levers will not break

Yes they will.

dariusld
01-09-2008, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
The pull is the exact same as the stock set up.

The part numbers you can search for on Ebay are:

Standard F3 ASV Clutch Perch and Lever part number: CMF30 ($21.00 Ebay) or ($70.00 New)

($36.00 Ebay) or ($115.00 New)

Can you post a link to this "$21 ASV lever"?

hornetgod13
01-09-2008, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by dariusld
Yes they will.

These levers are difficult to break and can be rebuilt rather than replaced. The come with a free replacement warranty if you do break them in the first year even when you purchase a refurbished on from ASV off Ebay.

hornetgod13
01-09-2008, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by dariusld
Can you post a link to this "$21 ASV lever"?

Active Black (Standard) currently $10.50 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ASV-Clutch-Lever-F3-Ser-Universal-Refurb-BLACK-CMF30-K_W0QQitemZ330202586808QQihZ014QQcategoryZ10066QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Some go for less than $21.00 I just took an average over the last 30 days of what the closing cost was. I personally would spend $15 to $20 more on a Pro Series model. It has more features and is well worth the money.

dariusld
01-09-2008, 01:14 PM
Thank You

flatl1n3r
01-11-2008, 10:02 AM
Hornet, what about the brake lever, can you post part number or link for it. Thanks!!!

hornetgod13
01-11-2008, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by flatl1n3r
Hornet, what about the brake lever, can you post part number or link for it. Thanks!!!

Part number is BAF32. They can be more difficult to find on Ebay.
New cost will run you around $75.00 or refurbished on Ebay sell for $45.00

Here's the link to ASV's website with a description of the lever.
http://asvinventions.com/levers_order/F3_Series_Levers/BAF32_quad_atv.html

If you are going to get an ASV brake lever than you might as well get an ASV Rotator Clamp (RCU01). Here's a link to the description and photos.
http://asvinventions.com/RotatorClamp/RCU01.php
On the ASV website they are listed at $25.00 but, you can buy them on Ebay in a variety of colors for less than $10.00.

djkelly368
01-11-2008, 10:21 AM
What happens if you just remove the two wires for start safety thing? Will it still start but only in neutral?

hornetgod13
01-11-2008, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by djkelly368
What happens if you just remove the two wires for start safety thing? Will it still start but only in neutral?

If you choose not to connect the wires than it will ONLY start in neutral. That's a pain in the @$$ to always have to shift to neutral to start. Connecting the wires disables the stock safety feature that prevents the quad from starting without the clutch pulled in with it in gear. You get used to it pretty quick. If you don't than the quad will lurch forward if you try to start it in gear. You'll only do it once or twice until you learn. Trust me :rolleyes:

hornetgod13
01-11-2008, 10:33 AM
Once I added the ASV brake lever I had no brake light signal from the front until I added this K&S Hydraulic Brake Switch. It cost $19.00. I had to bleed the brakes once it was installed. There are 2 basic types of hydraulic brake switches. Honda's use the 10mm Diameter x 1.25mm Thread Pitch, Single Bleed type. You can order it here for $18.95. It was simple to wire up.
http://www.cyclepages.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=4009116

Mercedes
01-14-2008, 11:04 AM
Once I added the ASV brake lever I had no brake light signal from the front until I added this K&S Hydraulic Brake Switch. It cost $19.00. I had to bleed the brakes once it was installed. There are 2 basic types of hydraulic brake switches. Honda's use the 10mm Diameter x 1.25mm Thread Pitch, Single Bleed type. You can order it here for $18.95. It was simple to wire up

.................................................. ...........................................

What reason would the brake light not work with the asv lever. I'm about to order one and would like your feedback.

hornetgod13
01-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Mercedes
What reason would the brake light not work with the asv lever. I'm about to order one and would like your feedback.

The ASV brake lever does not have a tab to make contact with the brake switch like the stock lever. If you go with a ASV lever than you'll have to come up with another way to activate the brake light or live with out it. The rear brake pedal will illuminate the light but, not the front unless you install or rig something else like I did.

400sEXridr
01-14-2008, 04:12 PM
im not using an asv perch or lever on my quad but rather a cheap dirtbike one but when i put it on i just connected the two wires that run to the clutch. im not sure if this is another legitimate way to do it but its worked for me