PDA

View Full Version : Career choices

cool 300ex
01-07-2008, 08:54 PM
Well as of right now i am a Senior in High School. It is right around mid point of the school year. I have no idea what i want to do after High School. I was going to be a AYES Auto Tech but changed my mind on that Career. I think one of my main problems is i don't really know what all Career choices are out there. So i was wondering if some of you guys could tell me what you do and give me some brief information on you Career.

nevadanotch
01-07-2008, 09:06 PM
First and foremost, GO TO COLLEGE! I started in a career in Quality Control (my college training) but wound up being a Safety and Regulatory Engineer.

Being someone who has been in a management position for most of my life, I will always choose to hire a person with a bit of schooling even if he or she doesn't have a degree.

Robin Hood
01-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Talk to your parents broski. I'm currently enrolled in Civil Engineering classes as a freshman in college. Engineers make good money and there is a good demand for them in present day society. You gotta have a knack for math and science(s) though, if you expect to be the pick of the litter.

400exrider707
01-08-2008, 05:47 AM
When your school has those career fairs that no one ever wants to go to.... GO TO IT! Definitely go to college. It will be the best time of your life, dont miss it.

Rulz
01-08-2008, 07:55 AM
I have a BSEET and do field service for a computer company, mainly on high end super computers. Basically do the install and support of these large computer systems. My son is a junior majoring in Chemical Engineering, he's going to be making bookoo bucks when he graduates! There are fewer and fewer American's getting engineering degrees, most engineers are now coming out of China and India for example. If you like or do well in math, I would strongly encourage you to get an engineering degree. Your career choices would be vast and the pay would be excellent!

My nephew graduated last May with a degree in Petroleum Engineering, his starting salary was $88K with a $22K sign on bonus. He just got a pay raise, his base salary is now $134K/year!!

Sjorge450R
01-08-2008, 08:23 AM
i was in the same position as you were about 3 months ago. I too am a senior in highschool and I wasnt planning on going to college. I was gonna go to a trade school and learn auto body. Changed my mind and then i was stumped on what i wanted to do. So what i did was, researching every career that a saw online. I researched nearly ever engineering majors and I was almost set on Civil Engineering.

Thats when I realized that engineering wasnt for me. Then I pondered the idea of being a math teacher. I have always liked math and figured it would be cool to be secondary education major. That idea is still my back up.

As of now, I am 100% on going into Business Management. Yeah i know most kids change their major (something like 70% of students change) but as of now, thats what I want to do. I came to this conlcusion when i realized that i do infact havfe leadership abilitys. I was voted captain of my highschools swim team (not a big deal, but just helps pertain to what i am saying) and i just realized that since I have been captain, things have been moving more freely than they have been in the past with other captains.

I only applied to PennState, Pittsburgh, Temple and Drexel. Both Pennstate and Pittburgh didnt accept me to the main campus considering my SAT's where less then average. I am going to send an application to Bloomsburg and West Chester today and as of now, they are my two schools of choice

cbrooks118
01-08-2008, 08:36 AM
I have a BBA in management, and have worked as a manager in retail/telecommunications. The hours suck, the people are ignorant, and your always answerign to some guy on the phone that has o idea what actually happens in your store. So now i work in the Business department for a local school district. The hours rock, but the job is just borign paperwork all day everyday. I wish i would have chosenanothe rfeild and not wasted 4 years on a degree that has yet to take me to the promise land.

My advice is this. Go to school and work. Work in numerous types of industries until you find one you like. Hopefully by then you'll have your basic school done and you can move on into the higher courses in your desired feild like Business, Education, Nursing, Engineering, Science, wahtever. Just work as many part time jobs you can, you can quit when you hate it and try somethign else. Since your young you dont have to worry so much about putting food on the table, and have the luxury to job hop

Moto49X
01-08-2008, 11:55 AM
College isn't for everyone, remember that. I pissed my money away at college. Started out in Auto Mechanics, also gave Telecommunications a shot. I'm a pretty smart guy but if you put books and tests in front of me, forget it. I'm not book smart, at all!Ended up just dropping out and expanding my landscaping business, which is something I LOVE to do. I'm also already making more money than alot of college grads that i know.(I only work 9 months a year)

Just remember, college isn't for everyone. Think hard about your decision before you make one. In all honesty, if i was good with books and wanted to go to school, i'd 100% go back for mechanical engineering.

chevy
01-08-2008, 03:55 PM
I would continue looking into different carears and then look into schools. When i was in highschool i wanted to be a weldor and i figured the best way to get certified was by going to school. After 1 year of school i relized i didnt want to spend the rest of my life hovering over a hot arc, so i changed my major from a welding cerification degree to a bachelors degree in welding engineering and i love it.

ZeroLogic
01-08-2008, 04:29 PM
Come on over and swing a hammer with me brah.:ermm:

jesseweaver
01-08-2008, 05:32 PM
i wasnt planning on going to college, until a few months ago. right now im a sophmore in high school. i always though i would go straight to working full time, cause right now i have no problem working a 60 hour week, sometimes up to 80 hours doing flooring, its really good pay, and im not gonna say i enjoy it but its not bad at all. but i was thinking i cant do that all my life, especially when you have a family and stuff.

i was always into flying, and this year i took an aviation class that really made me want to go for aeronautical engineering even more. has anyone here gone to college for that? oh yea, another thing that worries me about college is not being able to keep riding and racing. has that been a problem for anyone?

Giz400ex
01-08-2008, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Moto49X
College isn't for everyone, remember that. I pissed my money away at college. Started out in Auto Mechanics, also gave Telecommunications a shot. I'm a pretty smart guy but if you put books and tests in front of me, forget it. I'm not book smart, at all!Ended up just dropping out and expanding my landscaping business, which is something I LOVE to do. I'm also already making more money than alot of college grads that i know.(I only work 9 months a year)

Just remember, college isn't for everyone. Think hard about your decision before you make one. In all honesty, if i was good with books and wanted to go to school, i'd 100% go back for mechanical engineering. Very well put:D Also, its not a bad thing not knowing what you want to do after school is done. For some people it takes years until they know. My motto is if you have the motivation, you can do anything at anytime. Again, college is not for everyone just like Moto49x said. Good luck:D

400exrider707
01-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by jesseweaver
oh yea, another thing that worries me about college is not being able to keep riding and racing. has that been a problem for anyone?

Not for me. My college was 1 hour from home, just enough for my parents to not just show up, but still close enough to get the wheeler. My school never had friday classes, so my weekends were wide open with fridays available to get the quad ready, and I always scheduled classes around open practices... haha, I guess I was just lucky enough to make it all work out.

Doober
01-08-2008, 06:33 PM
I was in the same boat while i was a senior in high school but I found a college in Cleveland, OH called PSI (Powersport Institute). It is only a year long school. Monday-Thursday
7:30am-1:45pm
So it doesn't affect racing or riding, but i do only live an hour and twenty from the school.

If you want any information on the school or anything just send a PM.

parkers30
01-09-2008, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by jesseweaver
i wasnt planning on going to college, until a few months ago. right now im a sophmore in high school. i always though i would go straight to working full time, cause right now i have no problem working a 60 hour week, sometimes up to 80 hours doing flooring, its really good pay, and im not gonna say i enjoy it but its not bad at all. but i was thinking i cant do that all my life, especially when you have a family and stuff.

i was always into flying, and this year i took an aviation class that really made me want to go for aeronautical engineering even more. has anyone here gone to college for that? oh yea, another thing that worries me about college is not being able to keep riding and racing. has that been a problem for anyone?

I never knew too much about aeronautical engineering/aerospace engineering until a few weeks ago. Over half of the guys I work with are Aerospace majors from top ranked engineering schools and all had trouble finding jobs because the industry is weird right now. A couple commented that if they had it to do over again they would get their Mechanical engineering degree, for the most part it will get you the same places, without being bound into aerospace.

But Aerospace is their love,and over guy is leaving to work for NASA/Boeing. Just a little insight.

I got my ME and I am working as an engineering analyst using FEA tools.

Toadz400
01-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Start college and get your generals done. While you're doing your generals take a few different classes in different fields to see what you're interested in. I started out with generals and I took an Intro to Engineering class and I'm sure I'm set on a Mechanical Engineering degree or an Engineering Technician degree which is slightly less schooling. It's a lot of math and science but I think it'll be worth it in the long run.

dpizz450
01-09-2008, 03:30 PM
dont sweat it man. i just graduated high school last may. i didnt start college the fall semester because of personal reasons. i'm startin at a community college in a couple weeks and idk what i wanna major in yet. im just gonna get all my basic classes down for the first semester or two then go from there maybe transferring to a university somewhere. good luck and you have plenty of time to decide. and im sure you've heard it before how many people change their majors throughout the years. i think someone above said about 70% that sounds about right.

Quad18star
01-09-2008, 05:02 PM
I started off with Civil Engineering , but it wasn't for me .

3 years later I'm back in College and taking Mining Engineering and I Love it.

Check out a few of these websites ....they're all Canadian websites mind you , but they have a lot of great information about different careers.

http://www.ilc.org/cfmx/CM/Careers/index.cfm?Menu_ID_Sel=5400&Lang_Sel=1

Here's one for the Mining Industry jobs.

http://www.acareerinmining.ca/careers.html

bhump84
01-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Everyone keeps talking about engineering, but if that is too much school look into Construction management. I don't know much about the field except jobs pay good there is less school and people seem to be enjoying the field while in school. The main thing is keep your options open. Get your general ed started and more than likely it will come to you.

outlaw11
01-09-2008, 11:04 PM
have you looked into the medical field the demand for nurses is unreal thats what my fiance is doing in college right now and im getting ready to leave to go to school for csx rail road

vett_09
01-10-2008, 01:40 PM
Alhtough you don't have to like your job, having a career in somthing that you like sure makes your job more exciting. It would take a lot, and I mean a lot, for me to give up my current job. I went to college, but my degree really has nothing to do with my career. I have a quality engineering degree and work as a project manager for a private consulting company in advanced automotive engineering. I just graduated from college, but I have years of automotive research and development experience.

My point is - find something you like and work towards it. I've moved my way up the ladder starting as a mechanic and now work as a project manager. When you enjoy what you're doing, it makes it worth while. Having a college degree is imporant, but gaining experience is important as well. Don't work 40 years of your life away doing a job you hate because you didn't really know what it was about when you majored in it during college.

Ron89
01-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by cool 300ex
Well as of right now i am a Senior in High School. It is right around mid point of the school year. I have no idea what i want to do after High School. I was going to be a AYES Auto Tech but changed my mind on that Career. I think one of my main problems is i don't really know what all Career choices are out there. So i was wondering if some of you guys could tell me what you do and give me some brief information on you Career.
What part of PA are you from? I took AYES and it was great for me. I learned A TON and I love going to work. Everyone was great, you learn a lot during high school at the shops, you are payed to learn, and you are pretty much promised a job once you graduate. I was lucky enough to get a young guy and he taught me more than I ever knew. If I were you, I would snatch up that chance to go out on AYES.

SRH
01-10-2008, 04:37 PM

Just remember, college isn't for everyone. Think hard about your decision before you make one. In all honesty, if i was good with books and wanted to go to school, i'd 100% go back for mechanical engineering.

agreed, the thing they preach in school is getting a JOB, not making money, or laying the foundation for achieving financial freedom, are educational system has a industrial age way of thinking, and times have changed ,by only focusing on a job or career your only achieving very mild financial stability, and rely soley on a paycheck, no one looks at this when thinking about what they want to do with there lives because this way of thinking has been passed down to each generation since the depression, but another thing is some people are simply not street smart enough to think outside the box and need to rely on a job, in that case study hard but dont be clouded by the crap most schools pound in your head, its ashame they really condemn failure in school, how do you learn if your not suppose to fail once in awhile, its a backwards way of learning and teaching imo

cool 300ex
01-22-2008, 09:12 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

agreed, the thing they preach in school is getting a JOB, not making money, or laying the foundation for achieving financial freedom, are educational system has a industrial age way of thinking, and times have changed ,by only focusing on a job or career your only achieving very mild financial stability, and rely soley on a paycheck, no one looks at this when thinking about what they want to do with there lives because this way of thinking has been passed down to each generation since the depression, but another thing is some people are simply not street smart enough to think outside the box and need to rely on a job, in that case study hard but dont be clouded by the crap most schools pound in your head, its ashame they really condemn failure in school, how do you learn if your not suppose to fail once in awhile, its a backwards way of learning and teaching imo

Yeah that true! But as far as having your own business you have to have money to start it. I would love to own a business but the money is the factor.

Moto49X
01-23-2008, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by cool 300ex

But as far as having your own business you have to have money to start it. I would love to own a business but the money is the factor.

Not true. I started my buisness with about $500 of 20 year old equipment.

Rip_Tear
01-23-2008, 04:57 PM
You have to think if where you want to be/live and look into the job opportunities for the career. Don't just choose something and hope you'll be able to make a job of it, because it doesn't necessarily happen like that. Just mentioning this because I am a CNC Technician, and although there are many jobs they are only located in certain areas for instance, like well developed cites etc.

Good luck with your choice, it's a hard decision, one that I am also re looking at...

mittman
01-24-2008, 09:03 AM
Not true. I started my buisness with about $500 of 20 year old equipment.

i'm only 16 but i plan to start my own buisness my boss started his own about two years ago with 1,000 dollars to his name and he is makin some good money