PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Fenders

mdickerson319
01-07-2008, 06:37 PM
Anyone have a pattern to go by for cutting your fenders? Hate to just hack them off. Whats the best thing to cut them with?

TRXNICK
01-07-2008, 06:50 PM
I think there is a sticky in this forum somewhere covering this subject. As far as a pattern you just have to do it by eye. If you like it and it looks good then it's up to you. To cut them I've heard everything from sawz alls to grinders to razor knifes to dremmel tools. I guess it is whatever you feel comfortable using. Just look for it in the how-to forum I believe. Hope I helped ya.

312R1
01-07-2008, 07:07 PM
I had Duncan cut mine..they charge $20 I think.

gregw338
01-07-2008, 07:18 PM
I cut my fenders with a mult speed dremel using the small grinder type cutting disk, I used the slow speed and was able to be very precise with it. The first cut I made was just a straight cut from front to back, leaving enough fender so that if I made a mistake I still had about another 3/4" to work with. After making about 3 cuts moving in about 1/4" each time I had the width of the fender that I liked. I did the same to the other side and got them both squared up perfectly. Once finished making my cuts from front to back I started at the front of the fender rounding it off to the curve I liked, then did the same to the other side comparing it to the side I just finished. Once that was done I rounded the back side off to the curve I liked then did the other side. Lastly I got some sand paper and sanded every thing smooth. The reason I did it one section at a time cause one time I shaved my fenders on my suzuki and did one side first and got it perfectly then looked at the other side and said to myself how did I do that. Before it was over with I did not have any fenders left by the time I got them both even

chris46250r
01-08-2008, 06:16 AM
Use masking tape. Getting one side marked off that looks cool to you is easy. Getting the other side to match is the kicker. Tape it off, look at it, measure it, sit on it, ride it. Dont get in a hurry.

86 Quad R
01-08-2008, 09:34 AM
i use a jig saw to cut mine. the easiest way to do it is to establish the desired profile on one side using a pencil, then mask it off with wide tape. once one side is cut. you'll want to creat a template afterwards and mirror it for the opposing side add repeat the masking process. once they are cut. you'll want to use a knife (held with both hands and with cutting edge perpindicuar to plastics) to scape the rough areas to where its all smooth and rounded.

it is important to take your time and to NOT get in a hurry.

gregw338
01-08-2008, 10:19 AM
Key thing is patience, don't got in a rush & it will look fine.