PDA

View Full Version : Which Filter for dusty conditions with a lid?

QuadTrix6
11-12-2002, 07:20 PM
Hey i am having a problem now. I am not sure which filter to get. I'm deciding between the curtis sparks foam, or a K&N. I usually ride on MX tracks but occasionaly at some spots where it is dusty so i am going to leave my airbox lid on. Since my lid is on i figured i can run a K&N with no problem. What do u think? Should i also run the prefilter? Or since its sometimes dusty i should just stay with the foam sparks. Thanks

cheetah
11-12-2002, 07:23 PM
I have a UNI and I like it. If it's dusty I would say go with foam. It's not worth the risk of dirt getting through.

Dave400ex
11-12-2002, 07:31 PM
I think No-Toil makes the best foam filter PERIOD. No-Toil (http://www.notoil.com)

QuadTrix6
11-12-2002, 07:34 PM
even though im still running the lid you think i should stay with foam? and its usually not dusty just sometimes. Thanks

Dave400ex
11-12-2002, 07:38 PM
Yes I would. I had a K&N with a Lid on, and I still found dust in the airboot. I won't run another K&N again. I even had the Outerwear. Stick with foam. Call No-Toil.

Teufel
11-12-2002, 07:43 PM
I like the K& N with outerwear.

phatswinn
11-12-2002, 08:20 PM
i runa k&n without and outerwear, wats allitle really really fine dust gunna do anyway?

frozenh2o
11-12-2002, 08:28 PM
I don't see the problem with K&N in severe dust. I run them on my desert buggy (expensive motor). Check out what the off-road race truck and buggies run in the choking dust. K&N. $50,000+ motors. Gotta oil them right, can't miss any spots. If you use an outerwear or foam cover it will last longer between cleanings, but doesn't make them filter any better.

chavez
11-12-2002, 08:30 PM
i run a uni and at the john penton gncc it was zero visablity for hour and a half and i had no problems dirty as$ filter but no problems. WarriorMan doent the no toil have a hole on the end of it no not the intake end either lol

Dave400ex
11-12-2002, 08:34 PM
I'm not sure. I haven't got one yet because Rick Cecco told me to get the one they made for him, which I do believe doesn't have a hole at the other end. He said something about a hole, but he just covered it up with something. He said he thinks they are the best filters, and also have the best cleaner and oil.

RiPPiNiTuP7
11-12-2002, 08:47 PM
I run a K&N w/ Outerwear (No Lid), and I ride in dusty conditions...never had a problem. I check my air boot every so often and never find any dust in there. I think the key to keeping it filtering good is making sure you oil it well :blah

11-12-2002, 08:50 PM
Yea what he said RippinTup, go froa k&N with a outerwear, or go for a uni and take ur lid and drill some holes on it and spray foam filter on it..

Live2Ride300
11-12-2002, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
Yes I would. I had a K&N with a Lid on, and I still found dust in the airboot. I won't run another K&N again. I even had the Outerwear. Stick with foam. Call No-Toil.

Ive heard of this happening with alot of people, I plan on getting a UNI for mine, I dont want to risk it with the K+N, or maybe for the winter run the K+N, because there isnt any dust, then run the UNI in the spring and summer? Is there really a big difference between the K+N and foam? The K+N may be more high flowing, but the foam is better at filtering, I think I would rather have the foam, is that extra air flow worth the risk? Or does it make a big difference?

CFM Performance
11-12-2002, 09:01 PM
A little fine dust over a long period of time adds up to a hand full of dirt! I don't trust a filter that I can hold up to a light and see through it. Stick with the foam filters.

11-12-2002, 09:25 PM
my dads friend was running a k&n with an outerware in the little sahara dunes and he had to get his motor rebuilt cuse there was sand all up in the engine. So i will never run one. I got a uni and i love it. It says it is suposed to have more gains than any other filter and i like the Foam Filters. What ever you get make sure you oil it often!!!

QuadTrix6
11-13-2002, 05:30 AM
How much of a performance difference is there btwn the UNI and the K&N ? I heard the K&N is supposed to be really noticable, will i notice a gain with the UNI?

oregonrider89
11-13-2002, 12:28 PM
hey frozenh2o,

can you get a foam cover for the 400ex K&N?

oregonrider89

frozenh2o
11-13-2002, 01:28 PM
Try this link, http://www.knfilters.com/airforcewraps.htm, they've got a bunch of universal size wraps, you'd have to check if any of them fit the 400ex.

oregonrider89
11-13-2002, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the site. I think a foam cover is a good idea for any lind of riding. I wonder if it is better for trapping sand than a outerwears? I'll just have to call K&N.

oregonrider89

Live2Ride300
11-13-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by QuadTrix66
How much of a performance difference is there btwn the UNI and the K&N ? I heard the K&N is supposed to be really noticable, will i notice a gain with the UNI?

Thats what I was wondering, if its worth the extra performance to run the K+N, is the K+N that much better performance wise then a UNI?

Dave400ex
11-13-2002, 02:54 PM
If you are running a lid you won't feel a difference from Stock to a K&N. If you run a No Toil without a lid and a K&N without a lid, the K&N may let more air in, but it also let's other stuff in. For the little amount of power you get, I don't think it's worth the risk.

QuadTrix6
11-13-2002, 03:38 PM
well since all of u think i should stay away from K&N i am gunna get a UNI. Will i see a performance difference from stock to UNI with lid on? Will i have to rejet? Thanks

lansing400ex
11-13-2002, 07:13 PM
I posted a few months ago about riding in very dusty conditions and finding a coating of dust in my air intake boot. I had a K&N with an outerwhare over it. I still use the filter but took the airbox lid and cut the center out of it. I covered the center with foam about a 1/4 inch thick. I then made a frame of thin metal to hold the foam to the remaing lid material. It has been sprayed down with PJ1 oil and is now a foam filtering airbox lid. The snorkel has been removed and all the air has to pass through the lid. It works great. Air gets filtered three times before entering the engine. I'll try and get pictures tomorrow.

DGR Designs
11-13-2002, 07:30 PM
kool lid idea! i have mine just loaded with UNI vents lol. i think i have about 12?

11-13-2002, 07:48 PM
okay i noticed some difference with a uni with the airbox lid off. I didn't rejet too. I had to go back to the stocker after i got my whitebros e-series so i won't have to rejet.

SmokinJoe@PJR
11-15-2002, 06:21 PM
You guys all need to take a look at the PJRacing Airbox that ExtremeRacer167 has.this thing will work with all the filters you got plus it adds xtra performance that the stock box cant give it.Take a look these things are goin off the shelves fast

Glamis400ex
11-16-2002, 12:10 AM
Whoever posted that his father had to have an engine rebuilt because of sand getting in the motor...all I have to say is, your father OBVIOUSLY installed it wrong.

In Glamis, the sand toy capital of the world, I see $90,000 sand rails(no I'm not kidding, I know the guy personally) that run the K&N with an outerwear. No problems what-so-ever. And these guys can run whatever the want as far as air filters go.

K&N's are tricky to get just right, but if you do get it just right, they work awesome. Just take your time to oil and install correctly.

Glamis

KandK952
11-16-2002, 12:53 PM
besidedes getting dirt into the motor, really really fine dust will clog up your carburetor. Dont use a K&N
I like my twin air

Ex'r Marlin
11-16-2002, 05:09 PM
Well, if you do "not" maintenance your machine often... I would not recommend a K&N... Stay with a foam.

I really like my K&N's:). I run my atv's with the air lid on and an Outerwear over them... No problems in the over 5 years I have been using them!:) :macho

11-16-2002, 05:14 PM
Ex'r Marlin Well, if you do "not" maintenance your machine often... I would not recommend a K&N... Stay with a foam.

I really like my K&N's. I run my atv's with the air lid on and an Outerwear over them... No problems in the over 5 years I have been using them!

KandK952 besidedes getting dirt into the motor, really really fine dust will clog up your carburetor. Dont use a K&N
I like my twin air

Im confused lol what should i get

Honda2003
11-16-2002, 05:20 PM
is there a differance between a stock filter and a UNI performance wise?

11-16-2002, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Honda2003
is they a differance between a stock filter and a UNI performance wise?

i was wondering the same thing

Honda2003
11-16-2002, 05:35 PM
i plan on getting pipes and a rejet next spring. was thinking about getting a K&N or a UNI. i run my lid because i run in alot of mud and water. i'm gonna have my local dealer put it all on for me. yea, i could do it myself but this is my first quad and want it done right the first time. besides i get 10% off all parts and labor for one year.:D

Dave400ex
11-16-2002, 05:38 PM
The Uni or other aftermarket foam will flow better then stock, but really not noticeable. I suggest you just get the No-Toil and be done with it. Then you will have no worries.

11-16-2002, 08:36 PM
what aftermarket foam filter has a rubber top like the stock. i dunno if i like the whole thing being foam. seems like it would be harder to clean and oil properly

Dave400ex
11-16-2002, 10:02 PM
Are you talking about the ends? I don't think the No Toil has foam ends, it's rubber like stock. That's a good question. Plus that wouldn't hold up as well.

crashinmatt
11-16-2002, 11:29 PM
well, heres my .02. ive run the k&n for over 2 1/2 years, and have never found one speck of any kind of dirt or dust in my intake boot. but i keep up on my cleanin. i know a guy who used a uni and he found dust inside his airboot and switched to k&n and has never had any problems. so just keep it clean and u shouldnt have to worry. oh yeah and i run without a lid on my air box, sometimes in very dusty conditions.

11-17-2002, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
Are you talking about the ends? I don't think the No Toil has foam ends, it's rubber like stock. That's a good question. Plus that wouldn't hold up as well.

Yeah i meant the ends.

11-17-2002, 09:50 AM
also u know the tube that goes from the airbox to the carb. is there any way to take that off without taking out the airbox too.

Dave400ex
11-17-2002, 11:06 AM
If you get the design of filter No-Toil made for 465Stroker then the outter end is foam but it has a rubber flange. He says it's the best filter he has ran.

Live2Ride300
11-17-2002, 11:43 AM
Where can you get a no toil? I noticed the suzuki dealer near me sells them.

Dave400ex
11-17-2002, 11:46 AM
Call Scott Oakes at 877-668-6451.

yellow400rider
11-17-2002, 02:50 PM
this really sucks. i was going to run a k&n with outerwear and no lid. is this ok??? i ride in pretty dusty conditions. ill b running a hmf full system and i hear runnig w/out the lid can really help :confused:

Dave400ex
11-17-2002, 04:32 PM
If your going to ride in dusty places and ride with no lid I would get some kind of Foam filter.