PDA

View Full Version : is cam chain to loose when?

jayhawk25
01-07-2008, 05:00 PM
after hearing a tapping/slapping noise in the top end I decided to check the valve clearances. They are within spec according to my clymer manual. When I looked at the cam chain with the valve cover off it looked and felt tight. When I removed the tensioner it was fully extended. Now how long can I run it like that before changing the chain? I do not ride hard and usually only put about 4 hours on the quad a month, light trail riding.

ADTR14
01-07-2008, 06:26 PM
It shouldn't be the cam chain... imo. I've had my bike for two years and haven't needed to replace it and i ride nearly every other weekend. I have had a tapping noise before and unfortunately 3rd gear was missing a couple teeth. Hope its something minor!!

jayhawk25
01-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Well its comming from the top end and I have changed the oil 3 times in the last six months of owning it. Its a 2004 if that helps.

bellzbub
01-07-2008, 08:49 PM
any thing less than 3 clicks left on the cam chain tensioner and it should be replaced. all you will do if it jumps or breaks is take out the valves and possibly tear up the head.
keep an eye on that tensioner, if it is lower than three then get it replaced before it breaks or jumps time. there will be major damage if not. head over to z400central.com and search for cam chain. you will get more than enough info to get you going.
when you replace it get a d.i.d. 3/4 cam chain. much stronger than stock and a must for motors with mods.

jayhawk25
01-07-2008, 09:16 PM
I will get one on order tomorrow. I have no clicks left at all.

RATPACK Z400
01-10-2008, 12:33 PM
The tapping you hear is normal for that motor my done the same thing for years, it starts tapping when motor is broken in, the dealer said its normal and I,ve talked to others about this they hear the same.

bellzbub
01-10-2008, 02:48 PM
sorry ratpack but you are wrong. the tensioner should be checked and replaced with less than three clicks. and the motor should not tick. it is not normal. something is not adjusted right. the only time you get noise from the motor is when you install aftermarket cams which do make noise. z's are known to have weak valves and if they "cup" they will cause damage. the valves are fine for unmodded motors but as soon as you mod them, they can let go. over revving them is the biggest culprit. if you find one or more of your valves with 0 clearance then you have a cupped valve and they need to be replaced asap.

there is a butt load of info on z400 central on this very topic. check it out and see if you still feel the same.

RATPACK Z400
01-18-2008, 01:42 PM
I just had valves checked there fine the noise has been ticking 4 yrs now if it was,nt normal it would have broke by now after all the hard riding Ive done, If the noise is a slappinng noise I see your point but if only ticking Id just get it checked out just to make you feel better.

jonridesz400
01-20-2008, 09:06 PM
mines a 2003 and it makes no ticking noises at all it did about 6 months ago when i first bought my quad it turns out my cam chain was so loose it was ridiculous and my valves were jacked up. but now that its fixed runs like a champ. other than it running rich and the carb not being able to make any difference to it once so ever. but no ticking noise.

kfx_dean
01-21-2008, 01:47 AM
With the little riding that you do, that may be the problem with the ticking. Under the cups (where you check the clearance) are brass or copper shims. If the bike isn't ridden regularly those shims won't permanently seat. I have a KFX and they were copper, but Suzuki says they are brass. I heard ticking 3 months into ownership in 2003 and I took it back to the dealer to have it serviced. They told me because it was so new, they didn't think it was a big deal. I ran my tensioner all the way out and finally heard some slapping, so I replaced the chain and cams (for power). With new cam lobes with longer duration, the noise went away, but just a few months later, I ruined the bottom end of my motor before aftermarket parts were available. Now I ride an 87 Honda 250R, but I miss my kfx. I believe a new motor is in my future.

RATPACK Z400
01-21-2008, 03:32 PM
So bellzbub, You think my cam chain needs tightening ? why wouldn,t dealer do that when adjusting valves?My been ticking a long.And where the adjuster at for cam chain?If you can show pics.

bellzbub
01-21-2008, 08:43 PM
the tensioner is in the cylinder at the back on the exhaust side. my advice is to buy a manual. it is all in there. should be the first thing you buy for any machine.

the dealer would not check that when adjusting valves as it has nothing to do with the valves. if you take it back and ask them to check it i'm sure they will.

there is no way to "tighten" the cam chain. it is the same as your drive chain, it will only stretch so far and then it has to be replaced. the tensioner keeps the chain tight. when the chain is to far gone the tensioner will not work any more.

indyZrider
01-22-2008, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by RATPACK Z400
So bellzbub, You think my cam chain needs tightening ? why wouldn,t dealer do that when adjusting valves?My been ticking a long.And where the adjuster at for cam chain?If you can show pics.

because dealers are crooks! there is also talk of when you take your bike in the get the cam chain changed because of the ticking the dealer welds a nut to the end of your tensioner thus quieting the noise and people like you who trust the dealers word like its gospel are none the wiser so instead of a new chain you still have the old stretched chain that is quiet. which is all good in your mind until you are out riding it and instead of hearing clicking your whole head explodes internally because your worn out chain that was never changed just broke and now your whole head is fugged up. maintenance on these bikes are simple. get your manual and try to do things on your own. you will atleast know what you have and not some dealers word that its fixed. instead of paying 125 bucks to get your valves "checked" spend the 125 on a manual and some feeler gauges and a shim kit from hotcams. you will then know a little something about your bike and wont get raped by the dealer for taking off the head cover and sticking a gauge under the cam lobe to say its fine and charging you 125 bucks. if your working on your own bike and have tech questions people on these forums will help any way they can. but if your taking your bike to a dealer and giving out bunk advice, people are going to ridicule you and not help you at all. i like to give people the benefit of the doubt......

just so we are straight im not dissing you. just a little advice.

bellzbub
01-22-2008, 10:57 AM
preach on indy!

i have been trying to spread the word about a manual. in my opinion a manual is the first thing to buy. not nerfs or pipe but a manual.

i have recently bought a snowmobile. and before i put 1 mile on it i had a manual for it. guess what?it has already paid for itself. i found some damage in the rear skid. popped it out and replaced the needed parts. all with the help of the manual.

RATPACK Z400
01-22-2008, 05:42 PM
I don,t think what dealer says is the truth at all I just have heard this on many quads,I took my quad to stealership for that noise told them valves or something ticking they suggested valve check it was first time I ever took it to dealer cause I dont, know how to adjust. they SAID they fixed quad but noise was still there, then they told me its normal for a broken in motor seemed odd but heard same sound on other Zs and 400exs .but getting manual in future so I don,t get robbed!
just seems weird why they wouldn,t sell me new chain or give me option?They would have made more money.